*Kelly! You won the marsh­mal­lows! Send me an email with your address and I’ll pop them in the mail!*

While I love the lin­ger­ing days of sum­mer, as soon as the leaves begin to change my mind turns towards fall (my favorite sea­son) and then it turns to bak­ing, which is always enhanced by those first days of cool, crispy autumn air and crunchy leaves beneath your feet.

A few weeks ago the lovely folks at Chicago Soy Dairy gifted me with a cou­ple of bags of Dandies, their vegan marsh­mal­lows, with the request that I make some­thing cre­ative with them. I have enjoyed play­ing with their Teese in the past and I am always up for a chal­lenge, but those Dandies have just been star­ing at me for a cou­ple of weeks now.

Should I make some­thing rocky road? No, too boring.

Should I make some­thing s’mores? No, I can’t com­pete with Amy’s awe­some­ness.

Then I remem­bered my great Thanks­giv­ing love.

Like most any good Mid­west­ern girl, one of my favorite Thanks­giv­ing side dishes was the sweet potato (or yam, what­ever) casse­role, filled with juicy, sweet yams and pineap­ple and a marsh­mal­low and maraschino cherry topping.

Jim absolutely loathes any­thing sweet that is eaten at meal­time, so when I men­tioned this to him he vis­i­bly shut­tered. How to please us both? Why, turn it into a dessert, of course!

The Chicago Soy Dairy folks were kind enough to send me 2 bags of Dandies– leave a com­ment and 1 lucky per­son (drawn next Mon­day) will win the other bag!

Sweetie P Cupcakes

These soft and fluffy cup­cakes are the per­fect tes­ta­ment to fall– moist sweet pota­toes with a creamy marsh­mal­low cen­ter, a hint of nut­meg and the lightly crunchy/gooey mal­low topping.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown or other dark gran­u­lated sugar
1 teas. bak­ing pow­der
1/2 teas. bak­ing soda
1/2 teas. cin­na­mon
1/4 teas. nut­meg
1/4 teas salt
1 cup pureed sweet potato (or yam)
1/2 cup crushed pineap­ple (liq­uid drained)
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup milk of choice
1/2 bag Dandies Marsh­mal­lows
Maraschino cherries

Pre­heat oven to 350. Line a cup­cake pan with liners.

In a small bowl, com­bine the flour, sugar, bak­ing pow­der, soda, spices and salt. In a medium bowl, com­bine the sweet potato, pineap­ple and oil. Mix until well com­bined. Add the milk and whisk together thor­oughly. Add the dry ingre­di­ents to the wet in two batches until just mixed.

Fill each cup­cake liner 1/3 way with bat­ter and place 1–2 Dandies in the mid­dle. Top with addi­tional bat­ter to seal the Dandies in the mid­dle. Lin­ers should be filled to just under the top of each liner. Bake for 18–20 min­utes or until a tooth­pick (poked at an angle to avoid the mal­lows) comes out clean.

Remove cup­cake pan from oven. Care­fully top each cup­cake with 4–5 Dandies. Place cup­cakes under your broiler on low for 15–45 sec­onds, or until puffy and very lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool on cool­ing rack for 10 min­utes before remov­ing from pan to cool on rack. Top each cup­cake with a dried off maraschino cherry.

Makes 12 cupcakes

41 Responses to fall baking fun

1. Mmm, your can­died yam idea reminds me of a new can­died yam recipe I have been want­ing to try that uses coconut milk…how good does that sound! What a great idea for cup­cakes espe­cially since marsh­mal­lows are one of my favorite foods. :o)

2. Amy says:

I would love some Dandies! They’re not avail­able in Col­orado so I can only get them when I visit other states. I’m usu­ally so excited to have vegan marsh­mal­lows that I just eat them from the bag instead of bak­ing with them.

3. Hope says:

Sigh… Marsh­mal­lows, I haven’t had any since turn­ing vegan as I can’t get them ANYWHERE around here. I’ve seen recipes to make your own, but they all seem intimidating.…

Don’t they? I’ve thought of try­ing it before, but you see those recipes and it totally turns you off. So many steps and things need to be just so. Not for me, either.

• Abby Bean says:

Haven’t you guys heard of Sweet & Sara? She runs spe­cials all the time, it’s cool enough that you don’t need a cold pack, and they’re freak­ing deli­cious. Vegan marsh­mal­lows, s’mores, rice crispy treats, etc.

• Hope says:

Really? I’ll have to check that out! I live in Florida, so melt­ing is always an issue here!

4. Amanda Nobile says:

What a bril­liant idea! I LOVE sweet pota­toes and marsh­mal­lows and spice-y cup­cakes! I can’t wait to make this recipe! Now, if only I had a bag of Dandies.….. ;)

With sweet pota­toes and pineap­ple, those cup­cakes must be seri­ously deli­cious! And the marsh­mal­lows give them the lit­tle extra some­thing that would win every­one over… Yum!

6. Andrea says:

Hey, this looks like my kind of cup­cake. Cup­cakes with but­tery frost­ing are a bit too rich for me and I don’t really crave them very often. I’ve made some sweet pota­toes scones some time ago and they came out great. I guess the pureed fruits/veggies, such as the pineap­ple and sweet potato in this cup­cake act as an egg replacer, no?

I’m the same way, frost­ing is too much for me! Give me a ganache or icing or fruit… or now, marsh­mal­lows! Per­fect, it’s just enough.

7. radioactivegan says:

That’s a great idea. I never cared much for sweet potato casse­role, but the cup­cakes look amaz­ing! And so fes­tive for thanksgiving :)

8. lbascelli says:

Those look unbe­liev­able. Would love those Dandies!

Fresh out of the oven, the outer edge of marsh­mal­lows are a lit­tle crispy, which I like, but after sit­ting awhile the mois­ture creeps in and they are soft with a toasted fla­vor, which I also like. What I’m say­ing is, they will please any­one or everyone. :)

9. Miranda says:

Oh, lawdy. Wouldn’t they be SO good in some hot choco­late? Mmm­m­mmm. It may not be cold enough out­side now, but it will be soon! :-)

It’s funny, we had a lit­tle rush of Indian sum­mer the day I baked these, 80 degrees, but now it’s nice and chilly again. Noth­ing like the smell of cin­na­mon on a cool day…

10. Erin says:

Very cool recipe. Now if I won that other bag of Dandies, I could test it out for myself…hint hint!

11. tahinitoo says:

That is pretty much the most awe­some cup­cake ever Kris! I never had pineap­ple or cher­ries in my sweet tatie casse­role as a kid — I feel so deprived!

12. Kelly says:

Yummy yummy! We never had that exact casse­role grow­ing up, but I was always hes­i­tant of any­thing with sweet pota­toes. Now, though, I can’t get enough of ‘em! And putting them in a cup­cakes? GENIUS!

13. Andrea says:

Whoa … you weren’t kid­ding, were you? This really is hilar­i­ous. I think your cup­cakes sound way bet­ter than the orig­i­nal casse­role, and I want to make them. (My mother’s ver­sion had apples, but no cher­ries, so I may have to fit apples in there!)

14. Abby Bean says:

I was so excited when I thought you were going to make the sweet potato marsh­mal­low dish, so when I got to the part about the cup­cakes I was a lit­tle disappointed.…that is until I saw your gor­geous beau­ties AND read that there was a marshie cen­ter. VERY impressive!

15. Michal says:

Holy yum!!!! Those cup­cakes look great :) Enjoy your week­end girl!

16. Allison says:

*drool* I love all things sweet potato! My (non vegan) boyfriend had a s’more last night and I was left with the aroma. Vegan s’mores would com­plete me!

17. Sarah says:

Looks deli­cious! I’ve been look­ing for­ward to sweet pota­toes with dandies this thanks­giv­ing. Also have a recipe for smores brown­ies where brûlée mal­lows are the top­ping. Would like to try to make it vegan with these:)

18. i freakin’ love Dandies! i mostly just eat them straight up so they never get a chance to be part of a baked/cooked good.

19. stacey says:

Absolutely stun­ning! What a per­fectly deli­cious idea, Kris. Looked up order­ing the Dandies, but with ship­ping they come to a whop­ping $12.95. Am going to ask local health food store if they’ll con­sider buy­ing. For now, I might impro­vise with vegan ricemel­low creme.

Thanks for your brilliance!

Stacey

20. […] there are quite a few fun recipes for Dandie-filled delights out there. You could try Kris’ Sweetie P Cup­cakes, for exam­ple, if you wanted a cup­per that calls upon that most sacred of Thanks­giv­ing traditions, […]