Woo-hoo!

It’s the first Fri­day on the new nom! nom! nom! and do you know what that means? Of course you don’t, it’s the first one! Let it be known across the land that Fri­days shall now be known as the day we show­case our Treat of the Week. Huzzah!

I’m not a huge fan of food that mas­quer­ades as some­thing that it’s not. For exam­ple, “muffins” that have equal pro­por­tions of sugar and flour and fea­ture frost­ing on top. That’s not a muf­fin, it’s a cup­cake! But then the idea of car­rot cake for break­fast sneaked up on me… but I just couldn’t.

But it got me think­ing… what if I could accom­plish the same fla­vor pro­file with more health and less sugar? I could have my cake and eat it, too.

Carrot Cake Bread

Car­rot Cake Bread
1 3/4 cups flour (all-purpose or white whole wheat)
3/4 cup quick-cooking or tra­di­tional oat­meal, uncooked
1/4 cup oil
2 tbsp. apple­sauce
1/2 teas. vanilla
1 cup shred­ded car­rots
1/3 cup wal­nuts
1/3 cup raisins

soy cream cheese (optional)
agave (optional)

Pre­heat oven to 350 and lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan.

In a small bowl, com­bine the flour, oats, sugar, spices, bak­ing pow­der, soda and salt. In a large bowl, com­bine the milk, oil, apple­sauce and vanilla. In batches, com­bine the dry with the wet until almost incor­po­rated. Gen­tly mix in the car­rots, raisins and nuts until just mixed. Gen­tly spread the bat­ter into the pre­pared pan.

Bake for 1 hour or until loaf is tall and golden and a tooth­pick comes out of the cen­ter of the loaf clean. Let cool in pan, on cool­ing rack, for 45 min­utes before loos­en­ing, invert­ing and allow­ing to cool on pan rest of the way. Store left­over bread cov­ered at room temperature.

Serve slices warm with a smear of cream cheese and driz­zle of agave.

Yields: 10 slices

12 Responses to treat of the week: carrot cake bread

1. Jojo says:

This looks so good, I’m book­mark­ing it so I can make it soon. Also I love the idea of treat of the week!

A car­rot cake bread — yum! It’s the per­fect treat to inau­gu­rate that series. :)

Huz­zah is right–yay for Fri­days! This looks great :-)

4. FoodFeud says:

Oh yeah, I am totally all over this. My boyfriend just told me I needed to start mak­ing more bread and while I’m not sure this is what he meant, I doubt he’ll argue. And if he does, I’ll just eat this all myself. I love car­rot cake but am so much hap­pier with a less sweet­ened ver­sion! Thanks!

I am a huge car­rot cake fan and this really hits the spot! I think you’ll love it, espe­cially because you can eat it more sim­ply and plain or dress it up more to make it more cake-like.

5. Kate says:

I love your bread recipes! This one really took the (I’m really going there) car­rot cake. Took it to a party, and it was well liked, except by the nut-haters. Recently got your book and now am fol­low­ing the new recipes on your blog with baited breath.

6. NEW YORK GIRL says:

I just took it out the oven. I made a few changes, unbleached bread flour, replaced the oil with apple­sauce. It was very pretty and col­or­ful, the other replace­ment was cran­raisins. I use what’s in the house. It was good, I added the vegan cream cheese. I am very pleased.

7. Janina says:

This bread looks great! Going to try it out now — I’ll be sure to post a link to your recipe :)