I haven’t been blog­ging or com­ment­ing much lately. It’s not that I don’t love you, really. Quite the contrary.

Jim and I have been work­ing on a new project to expand nom! nom! nom! into some­thing more. Jim is very skilled with film and media and for a cou­ple of years we have been toss­ing around the idea of mak­ing a cook­ing show. When we talked about it before, it never felt quite right, we just weren’t ready. Now, we have all the tools and so we decided to go for it.

Our goal is to put one episode out every other week. This, being our first episode, has us work­ing out some kinks, but we’re pretty darn proud. I think Jim did a great job with film­ing and edit­ing this and we did a com­mend­able job of eat­ing the results. :)

For our first episode, we chose to do my famous Boston Cream Pie recipe. This was in Damn Tasty and is in the new book as well. It is my most requested recipe, as well a recipe that many veg­ans want, given that “vegan Boston Cream Pie” is a search term that guides peo­ple to my blog on a daily basis.

Okay, less talk, more rock! Here is it:

[vid­dler id-76206574 h-370 w-437]

Boston Cream Pie
Prep time: 45 min­utes, includ­ing time to make filling

Cake:
2 cups flour, sifted
1 teas. bak­ing pow­der
1 teas. bak­ing soda
1/2 teas. salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. yogurt (equal to 1– 6 oz. con­tainer)
2 teas. vanilla
1 1/2 cups milk

Cream Fill­ing:
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp. plus 1 teas. corn­starch
1/8 teas. salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teas. mar­garine
1 teas. vanilla

Ganache:
1/4 cup mar­garine
1/2 cup choco­late chips
3 tbsp. milk, room temperature

Pre­heat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9 inch cake rounds and line bot­toms with parch­ment paper.

In a medium bowl com­bine flour, bak­ing pow­der, bak­ing soda and salt. In a large bowl com­bine sugar and veg­etable oil. Add soy yogurt and vanilla and mix until creamy. Mix in milk. Add dry ingre­di­ents into wet ingre­di­ents in batches and mix com­bined. Even divide the bat­ter between the two cake pans and bake for 20–25 min­utes, until golden and a tooth­pick comes out clean. Let cool on rack.

While cakes are cool­ing, pre­pare cream fill­ing. In a saucepan com­bine sugar, salt and corn­starch. Add milk and whisk together. Bring the mix­ture to a light boil over medium heat while whisk­ing con­stantly. Lower to a sim­mer and whisk until thick­ened, about 7 min­utes. Remove from heat and add mar­garine and vanilla. Pour into a bowl and let cool com­pletely, stir­ring every few min­utes. Fill­ing will con­tinue to thicken as it cools.

To make the ganache, in a small sauce pan, over medium-low heat, melt the mar­garine com­pletely, stir­ring con­stantly. Add milk and whisk to com­bine. Remove from heat and add the choco­late chips, stir­ring rapidly to melt. Let cool com­pletely to room tem­per­a­ture, stir­ring from time to time to keep a crust from developing.

Spread cream fill­ing between cake lay­ers. Top cake with ganache. Let cake set in fridge for at least 1 hour. Remove from fridge 10 min­utes before serv­ing to let ganache soften for eas­ier cut­ting. Store left­over cake cov­ered, in fridge.

Boston Cream Pie from Damn Tasty and 100 Best

Boston Cream Pie from Damn Tasty and 100 Best

Enjoy!

24 Responses to a new frontier…

1. shellyfish says:

That video was so cool! I for one grew up believ­ing that Boston Cream Pie was like a banana cream pie — who knew! I feel so much more edge­me­cated now.
    I LOVE your salt and pep­per shak­ers (I know, has noth­ing to do with any­thing), and I’m a lit­tle bit­ter with you for mak­ing some­thing so fan­tas­ti­cally deli­cious that I won’t be able to make until maybe the week­end if I’m lucky.
    I also loved your hint at the end using the waxed paper to keep things together — bril­liant.
    Thanks for a great video & recipe!

Yes, the name is very deceiv­ing. BCP is one of my absolute favorite treats. I ate so much of it grow­ing up that I think a por­tion of my cells is prob­a­bly built out of it. I’m happy to intro­duce you to what I believe to be one of the best baked treats out there!

I’m glad that you now know the BCP truth. It’s so good!

We got those S&P shak­ers as a wed­ding gift. We had our recep­tion at a bowl­ing alley, so they always make me smile when I’m cook­ing away.

2. jumbleberryjam says:

Bril­liant! LOVE. LOVE the intro. And how did you get your kitchen so clean?!? I die for BCP. DH doesn’t get it. Pour Aussie. Must make this soon. Thanks!! :-)

3. jumbleberryjam says:

Bril­liant! LOVE. LOVE the intro. And how did you get your kitchen so clean?!? I die for BCP. DH doesn’t get it. Poor Aussie. Must make this soon. Thanks!! :-)

4. Leigh says:

This is awe­some! Good job!

5. Lauren says:

Hi Kris,

Awe­some video! You and Jim did a fab­u­lous job. Radek loved the intro, but after I told him that was his Aunt Kris and you started bak­ing he shifted his focus to toss­ing our wire­less mouse across the room. :) Keep it up. You make even a meat-lover like me crav­ing your vegan cre­ations. Say hi to Jim and the kit­ties from me, Ryan and Radek!

6. Diann says:

So far I’ve only watched a bit of the video b/c I’m sup­posed to be work­ing, but I think it is an absolutely fan­tas­tic idea! You look and sound great and I can’t wait to watch the whole seg­ment tonight. YAY!

How cute are you?! And how awe­some is Jim for mak­ing that video–it is so cool! I love the intro :o) What a cool idea! I have actu­ally never had Boston Cream Pie, but you make it look so easy and good, I am sure that will be chang­ing soon!

8. Sandy says:

Wowsers! How impres­sive!!! Can’t wait for the next video!! And to see you again!!

9. […] YOU to every­one for your sup­port, com­ments, emails, etc. regard­ing the show. We are very excited about it! Jim is upstairs edit­ing episode two as we speak and we have many […]

10. Lee Ann says:

I really enjoyed the video and I can’t wait to make my own BCP this week­end. Look­ing for­ward to your new book and keep the videos coming.

11. Sean Connery says:

Very cool video Kris.

12. Celine says:

oh hi. you’re pretty much the best. ever. like, seriously.

Thanks to Celine for link­ing to this post on Twit­ter. If she and Shelly­fish are hang­ing out with you, I can’t help but want to join the party! Look­ing for­ward to try­ing some of your delicious-looking recipes!

14. JENNA says:

How cool! Such a great video! I can’t wait to watch more of them.

15. Shawn Melissa Vogt Sween says:

Well, a search for “vegan boston cream pie” brought me here too, and I have a gluten-free ver­sion cook­ing up right now. I just tasted the cream filling–and it is deli­cious. I’m so excited to have found your blog! Aller­gies seemed to have stolen all the good foods from our recipe box, but we’re get­ting them back thanks to tal­ented blog­gers like you. Thank you!

Yay! You have no idea how much it means to me to get such a great com­pli­ment. Thank you and I hope the gluten free cake turned out great!

16. Christina says:

I made this the other night and every­one said it was amaz­ing!!! All the non-vegans were rav­ing about it! Thanks for the recipe!

17. lauren says:

this was my dad’s spe­cial birth­day cake for years until he gave it up for the cho­les­terol. i’m mak­ing this tonight for his birth­day and it will be his first one in years. thank you for such a tasty look­ing recipe!!

18. moonsword says:

Yumza! It’s National Boston Cream Pie Day today…thanks for the recipe!

19. Lin says:

I’ve been search­ing for a veg­a­nized Boston Cream Pie recipe for a while now, as it is my omni­vore boyfriend’s favorite dessert. I was pleas­antly sur­prised by how well this turned out, and the boyfriend asked for sec­onds and then thirds — suc­cess! I think I’ll even start using the cake por­tion as my go-to vanilla cake recipe because of how moist it was. Thanks!