Blog reader Sher recently mes­saged me with a bak­ing chal­lenge of sorts. She was look­ing for a healthy, hearty break­fast cookie that she could feel good about giv­ing her kids, but that they would actu­ally, you know, eat.

Chal­lenge accepted, my friend. This was espe­cially timely because I’ve been in a bit of a bak­ing slump lately. While I’ve been bak­ing some good old standby recipes, I haven’t been feel­ing ter­ri­bly inspired.

After play­ing around with a hand­ful of ideas, I came up with these soft, chewy cook­ies that are just sweet enough to clas­sify as a cookie, yet truly hold their own as a highly portable break­fast. Pair with a piece of fruit and per­haps some almond or hemp milk. I promise they will make get­ting out of bed easier.

Break­fast Cookies

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (can use more WWW flour)
2 tbsp. evap­o­rated cane juice (or other gran­u­lated sugar)
1/2 teas. cin­na­mon
1/2 teas. bak­ing pow­der
1/4 teas. salt
2 very ripe bananas, gen­tly mashed (you want some lumps)
1/2 cup almond but­ter
1/4 cup veg­etable oil
2 tbsp. maple syrup or agave
1/4 teas. vanilla
1/3 cup raisins

Pre­heat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment.

In a small bowl, com­bine the oats, flours, cane juice, cin­na­mon, bak­ing pow­der and salt. In a large bowl, com­bine the bananas, almond but­ter, veg­etable oil, maple syrup and vanilla until smooth. Add the dry ingre­di­ents in batches, includ­ing the raisins in the last batch, and mix until dough comes together and the dry is incorporated.

Spoon out the dough into large, 2 tbsp. sized balls onto the parch­ment. Flat­ten slightly. Bake for 16–18 min­utes, or until set and lightly brown on the edges. Let cook­ies cool on the sheet, on a cool­ing rack, for 10 min­utes before trans­fer­ring cook­ies to rack.

Makes 12 extra large cook­ies or 24 reg­u­lar sized cook­ies (reduce bake time to 10–12 min­utes for reg­u­lar sized cookies).

*Mix it up with peanut but­ter and choco­late chips in place of the almond but­ter and raisins.*

Any other bak­ing chal­lenges out there?

20 Responses to cookies for breakfast!

1. sher says:

yay!!! thanks so much!! i can’t wait to try it!!!!

2. Molly Walter says:

Yes!!! Thank you Kris! I’ve been in a bak­ing slump too and break­fast is the tough­est meal for us to get Aiden to eat! Thank you my friend!

3. Niki J says:

These look won­der­ful, my kids would love them! I’ll try ‘em out this week­end, thanks for the recipe.

4. Lee Ann says:

Per­fect tim­ing! Just heard that eat­ing dessert with your break­fast is a way to lose weight, so will have to try these and see what happens.

5. I’ve been seri­ously crav­ing things like this lately, break­fast cook­ies, break­fast bars, healthy muffins. I’m just going to have to curb the crav­ing and make some­thing this week­end. They look yummy!

Oh, those remind me of cook­ies I used to make and haven’t made in years… and I do have bananas that are almost just right for this. Your break­fast cook­ies will soon be on my break­fast menu!

These look great, Kris! Yum :-)

8. Emma says:

Funny, I just started mak­ing some­thing like this for my hus­band. I add flax seed, wheat germ and some pro­tein pow­der too. I also made a ver­sion where I replaced the bananas with pump­kin puree and added some choco­late chips, they were amazing!

• Susan says:

Hey Emma — I like the idea of sub­bing pump­kin. Could you share the amount you used in place of the 2 mashed bananas? I’d like to try the pump­kin combo myself.
      Thanks,
      Susan

9. Molly says:

Holy Yum!
    These are deli­cious! I made them to spec but added a cou­ple table­spoons of flax meal.
    Next time: coconut, chunky peanut but­ter, cran­ber­ries. YUM!

10. Lee Ann says:

I brought them to a meet­ing yes­ter­day & they were a huge hit!

11. […] is one of those orga­nized days and so I made Break­fast Cook­ies, a super-forgiving recipe that should work well for mak­ing in advance and eat­ing dur­ing the busy […]

12. Karen says:

Made them this morn­ing. So. Yummy. !!!

13. Debbie says:

These are really great and easy to make. I made the smaller cook­ies and got about 40 cook­ies. I used peanut but­ter instead of almond but­ter and increased choco­late chips to 1/2 cup.
    I froze a bag and take out a few each day to take to work.

14. […] This recipe came from http://nomnomnomblog.com/2012/02/17/cookies-for-breakfast/ […]