In the mag­i­cal inbe­tween world, less sweet and but­tery than a bar but not as fluffy as a cake, lies a dense but moist cre­ation, speck­led with deli­cious­ness. I’ve been mak­ing all sorts of cre­ations that are some weird cake/bar hybrid… hand­held, deli­cious and full of goodness!

You see, I love stuff in my baked goods. Nuts, choco­late chips, dried fruit– one or all, I love them. Sadly, not every­one enjoys great amounts of debris in their baked goods.

But some­times you gotta do things just for yourself.

Peanut but­ter? Uh huh. Pret­zels? Yes. Choco­late chips? Yes! And peanuts? Hell yes! All together in one glo­ri­ous mouthful!

Hell Yes! Cake Bars

1/4 cup mild veg­etable oil
1/2 teas. vanilla extract
1/2 teas. mild vine­gar
1/2 cup choco­late chips, 2 tbsp. reserved
1/2 cup peanuts, 2 tbsp. reserved
1/2–1 cup crushed pretzels

Pre­heat oven to 350. Lightly grease and flour an 8x8 pan.

In a small bowl, com­bine the flour, oats, sugar, bak­ing pow­der, bak­ing soda and salt. In a larger bowl, whisk together the milk, peanut but­ter, veg­etable oil, vanilla and vine­gar until smooth. Add the dry in two batches until just mixed then mix in the choco­late chips and peanuts (exclud­ing the reserved amounts).

Spread the bat­ter into the pre­pared pan. Sprin­kle the reserved choco­late chips and peanuts and the crushed pret­zels on top. Bake for 28–33 min­utes, until a tooth­pick comes out clean.

Hell yes indeed!

9 Responses to bars + cake= nom!

1. Abby Bean says:

I’m adding coconut to my debris pile!

2. Leigh says:

Whoa!! I must make this.

Hell yes indeed! Those are per­fect for when I can’t decide what I want most, because I want ALL THE THINGS! :)

That’s me, I can’t decide! I’m like, “I want nuts… and choco­late chips… and dried fruit… what else do I have in the cup­board?” It’s a deli­cious illness. :)

OMG–those look amaz­ing. I am totally mak­ing these for my brother in law for the hol­i­days! He *loves* the peanut but­ter choco­late combo and with the pret­zels thrown in too? I think he may try to hide them from my sister… ;-)

5. leigh says:

I have two pans in the oven now. I was *this close* to adding crushed potato chips to the top of mine.

6. Michelle says:

Kris! These look insane. I think I will need to make these! I saw Leigh post about this & clicked & it is YOU! I hope all is well for you & Jim. Haven’t seen you for years so I hope life has been good to you. We are all great.
    Leigh, potato chips would be a very good idea.

Michelle– Life is treat­ing me well! I recently moved back to the Twin Cities and am liv­ing la vida mid­west. It’s my per­sonal mis­sion to infuse this place with whole grains and greens! :) I’m glad to hear things are going well for you guys. And the potato chips have got me thinking…