I’m not above bribery to try and excuse my long blog absence.

I’m really not.

So, I come bear­ing cake. Not just any cake, but a fes­tive, spicy, tastes-so-jolly-you’ll-be-spiking-the-soy-nog-and-belting-out-carols-while-you-bake-it Bundt cake. It doesn’t get any bet­ter than that.

I usu­ally revel in the pump­kin run up to Thanks­giv­ing, cram­ming it into every nook and cranny I can bake. And while I’m still feel­ing the pump­kin love, my stom­ach has skipped right over the Tofurkyfest and is on to Christ­masy cheer.

This is a gin­ger­bread bundt, com­plete with a cream filled cen­ter. The light­ness of the fill­ing com­pli­ments the gin­ger­bread bite (which you can always tone down) and makes it so you can get away with a light dust­ing of pow­dered sugar on top rather than a glaze, although I think this cake would be redonku­lous with a lemon glaze or sauce. Redonk.

Baker’s hint: use a cookie or ice cream scoop to per­fectly apply and cen­ter a Bundt cake filling.

Ho-ho-holy Gin­ger­bread! Bundt Cake

Cake:
2 1/4 cups flour (I used an all-purpose/spelt blend)
3/4 cup organic evap­o­rated cane juice or sugar

Cream fill­ing:
1 8oz. con­tainer of soy cream cheese, room tem­per­a­ture
1 teas. lemon juice
1/4 teas. vanilla
1/2 cup organic pow­dered sugar, sifted

Optional:
1/3 cup chopped can­died gin­ger (add to cake bat­ter before spread­ing in pan)
Pow­dered sugar to dust

Pre­heat oven to 350. Lightly grease and flour a 10–12 cup Bundt pan or sim­i­lar tube cake pan.

Pre­pare the fill­ing by beat­ing all ingre­di­ents together until smooth. Set aside.

In a small bowl, com­bine the flour, sugar, bak­ing pow­der, spices and salt. In a large bowl, cream together the apple­sauce, molasses, oil and vanilla. Whisk in the milk until com­bined. Add the dry ingre­di­ents in two batches, until just mixed.

Spread half of the bat­ter into the pre­pared pan. Scoop the cream fill­ing into the pan, cen­ter­ing it on top of the bat­ter, in a ring. Top with the remain­ing cake batter.

Bake for 38–43 min­utes, or until a tooth­pick comes out clean. Let Bundt cool in the pan for 30 min­utes before loos­en­ing and invert­ing onto your serv­ing platter.

24 Responses to spice is nice…

1. Christina says:

Wow, it sounds amaze-ing. I love me some gin­ger­bread. There used to be this bak­ery in my home­town that would serve freshly baked gin­ger­bread with choco­late icing and it was per­fec­tion. I won­der if I could make some sort of choco­late vari­a­tion on the cream filling…I’m a lit­tle afraid to, since it sounds so yum as it stands! Any­way, wel­come back!! ^.^

Mmm… that sounds good. It’s actu­ally inspir­ing me to bust out my Spiced Choco­late Chunk cookie recipe from my first book– it’s a chewy gin­ger­bread cookie with choco­late chunks, rolled in sugar. But you could eas­ily turn the fill­ing into a choco­late fill­ing, I’d just blend in 1/3 cup melted and cooled choco­late into the cream cheese fill­ing and you’d totally be set.

• Christina says:

I don’t under­stand why my “wel­come” got hyphen­ated above, but w/e. Those cook­ies sound pretty del­ish too, maybe I can con­vince Ken to make some soon…or even bet­ter, bake this cake! And I agree with the other com­ments, this is a gor­geous bundt pan!!

2. FoodFeud says:

This looks so gor­geous! I only recently found out about those sort of “tube cakes” with cream in the mid­dle. Your bundt pan is also absolutely beautiful.

Your pan makes such a pretty cake! The kind of pretty thing you don’t want to cut into… but since I’m sure the cake tastes as good as it looks, I bet it isn’t so hard to cut into it after all!

It’s my awe­some deal pan– it’s the Nordic Ware Her­itage pan that I bought new for $5! Best deal ever. And yes, it is so pretty it’s hard to cut into… but it’s so easy to eat. :)

4. JoeDa says:

Awe­some! We are going to a Thanks­giv­ing potluck and I am going to attempt to make this. Mad props to Queen of the Nom!

5. Ben says:

Look­ing for­ward to the hol­i­days! Yum!

6. Kelly says:

Aaand hello, Thanks­giv­ing dessert option #3! This looks amazing!

7. gail says:

looks deli­cious, can’t wait to try it! thanks :)

8. Emma says:

Wel­come back! This will be at our Thanksgiving…if I can wait that long to make it, mmmmmmmm.

9. jb says:

This cake sounds heav­enly… who can resist a cream filled any­thing?! Plus, I’ve had gin­ger­bread on my mind lately in a seri­ous way. I need to get my fix

10. xvavaveganx says:

Wow, this cake is beau­ti­ful and it sounds so deli­cious!! I bet it would be a beau­ti­ful addi­tion to any Thanks­giv­ing table! Totally bookmarked!

11. laura says:

hey, what’s the mea­sure­ment for the pow­dered sugar?

12. […] For dessert we had cream-filled gin­ger­bread bundt cake. […]

13. JJ says:

Hi Kris, I brought in this cake for a hol­i­day party at work today (in Hal­i­fax, NS) and it was a hit! Since both the gro­cery stores I went to were out of vegan cream cheese (boo to me for not shop­ping for ingre­di­ents ear­lier!), I made a sim­ple vanilla glaze with orange zest and some orange slices around the bot­tom — So tasty! Thank you! :D

14. […] Cream-Filled Gin­ger­bread Bundt Cake Bundt cake o’ deliciousness. […]