Fall is in the air and along with the change in sea­sons comes a life change, too.

In two weeks I am mov­ing back to my home state of Min­nesota. (Hence, my lack of fail­ing at par­tic­i­pa­tion in Vegan Mofo this year.) The whole time that I’ve been blog­ging these past 5 1/2 years has taken place in the South­west and then the PacNW. While I’ve enjoyed (and got­ten spoiled with) the effort­less veg­ness that this part of the coun­try pro­vides, I’m look­ing for­ward to whip­ping up some mean vegan hot­dish.

So, for 2 1/2 days I’ll be dri­ving across the coun­try with upset kit­ties, attempt­ing to steel myself against the siren’s song of potato chips and soda (my road trip vices). This is where you guys come in.

I’m going to do a give­away, but I don’t know what yet– it’s a sur­prise give­away! Per­haps it will be some awe­some vegan treat from Ore­gon or Min­nesota or who knows! All I know at this point is that it will be good. Leave a com­ment with your favorite non-perishable road trip treat or meal to be entered. I’ll pick the win­ner next Mon­day, the 10th. That is, if I don’t get buried behind a pile of boxes and bins.

38 Responses to and the seasons, they go ’round and ’round

1. A-K says:

Min­nesota will be glad to have you! If you end up in the Cities area, we could arrange a meet­ing up.
    Good luck with your move (and keep­ing kit­ties as grump-less as possible)!

2. debbie says:

I like home­made hearty cook­ies made with nuts, dried fruit and of coarse choco­late chips. I also love a good Gar­den Muffin:)

3. debbie says:

*I meant ‘hardy”.

4. Okay — my favorite junk food treat is eas­ily tings. They taste even bet­ter in a car! My favorite not-junk food treat in a car is grapes. Apples are too messy. Car­rots are also good, if they are pre-cut up (or not, if you roll Bugs Bunny style).

Good luck with your move!

5. Jojo says:

I love the idea of a sur­prise give­away! I always take ready to eat sausages on road trips, my friends & I call them travel sausages now because I always whip out a box on trips!

6. Hope says:

I always think its a good I idea to bring some soy or almond milk in those lit­tle “juice box” size. Not every stop offers it for your coffee!

7. Ben says:

Home­made cook­ies. but its not the cook­ies that are the treat, its how you eat them.

Pick up one of those take­out con­tain­ers with the black bot­tom and clear top. Place cook­ies in the box and put them in the sun on the dash­board. Within 20–30 min of dri­ving you have nice “oven ready” cookies!

8. heather says:

fav road­trip snack — cashews & dried fruit. (and diet dr pep­per… :P)
    I also have to say that I’m excited that we’ll be in the same state! I promise I won’t be creepy or anything.

9. Molly says:

oh noes! Sad to see you leave the Pacific NW. My favorite non per­ish­able road trip treat is prob­a­bly a trail mix of nuts and dried cran­ber­ries, with either m&m type things or Ghi­radelli white or dark choco­late chips. :3

10. Safe trav­els!
    When­ever we have to take a road trip I always make sure I bring either home­made gra­nola or gra­nola bars and then hope that we’ll pass a sub­way at some point along the way.

11. MollyG says:

Kale chips! That way you still get your veg­gies, but they are super deli­cious! Kale chips are my go to. Home­made, or pur­chased. Always delicious.

Nat­u­rally, I’ve already packed my dehy­dra­tor. But hon­estly, my home­made kale chips never taste as good as the ones from the store. Any recipes you’re par­tic­u­larly fond of? I like them with tahini and nooch and sea salt, but never seem to make it happen.

12. Allysia says:

I think I’m a pretty bor­ing road trip­per when it comes to food and drink, though I do have the habit of drink­ing lots of green tea and that makes for more bath­room breaks, which I guess makes my road trips a lit­tle more excit­ing. Green tea, water and gra­nola bars — home­made or what­ever I scrounge at the health food store pre-travel. If I’m really ambi­tious, I’ll even make a sandwich.

Good luck with the move!

I rarely travel with­out pack­ing a jar full of nuts (almonds, hazel­nuts, wal­nuts, cashews, pecans, what­ever I have on hand) and dried fruits (cran­ber­ries, apri­cots, prunes). Oh, and these days I’m a bit obsessed with sesame sticks, so I’d prob­a­bly take that too!
    Good luck with the pack­ing and the big road-trip-with-kitties adventure!

14. Em says:

I bring a lot of larabars, pret­zels, trailmix and Panda licorice. Delicious!

15. Danika says:

Pop­corn!

16. Andrea says:

We always have a jar of peanut but­ter and some­thing to spread it on for quick lunches. Also those bags of rice crack­ers from trader Joe’s — can’t have too many of those. And spicy nut mixes. And bananas (start with green ones) and clemen­tines hold up pretty well. I also always bring a tub of tiny toma­toes and a bag of dates. I get really hun­gry on road trips. :)

17. veganlisa says:

Safe trav­els!
    I love home­made gra­nola — espe­cially with lots clumpy bits. I like to eat as a snack or add it to oat­meal or soymilk that I can pick up at cof­fee shops along the way.

18. Christine says:

Hm. If I’m going alone, I like trail mix or some­thing I can eas­ily open and eat by myself while dri­ving. If I have com­pany… I like a fresh baguette and sand­wich fix­ings. The copilot’s qual­i­fi­ca­tions have to include “Mas­ter Sand­wich Maker” in this case.

19. Amy says:

I like to make sure I have a sweet and a salty choice when I’m trav­el­ing — usu­ally some­thing Larabar-like (or dried fruit from my sum­mer bounty!) and then peanut butter/crackers or pret­zels. Crunch is a MUST. And if I’m fly­ing I always get the tomato juice from the inflight bev­er­age service.

Have a safe trip! Hope that your kit­ties are behav­ing dur­ing the voyage!

20. Amanda N says:

My num­ber one go-to travel snack is Pop­corn, Indiana’s Ket­tle Corn. It’s sweet, it’s salty and it goes down oh so easy!

Wish­ing you safe travels!

21. Kelly says:

Safe trav­els! Hope your move went smoothly.

My favorite non-perishable travel snacks are Larabars. They fill me up (for a while), give me a quick burst of energy, and taste like dessert!

Whoo-hoo for return­ing to MN! I can’t wait :-) Good luck on your drive! I hope the kit­ties make it okay and with­out too much meow­ing.
    Favorite road trip treats? Dry roasted edamame (that stuff is addic­tive!), dried fruit (dates and dried mango are my faves), apples (hon­ey­crisps woot woot!)…cherry toma­toes are good too!

See you soon!
    Courtney

23. Mo says:

Happy mov­ing!

24. Libby D says:

Good luck with your road trip!
    I am a dried fruit kind of girl… Apri­cots, man­goes, craisins, pineap­ple. Oooh.… Banana Chips have got to be the num­ber one… Gotta have it! :)

25. Annie says:

Back to Min­nes­now­tah, eh?
    We’ll be happy to have you (and your vote, as well, I might add!)
    I’m work­ing on grow­ing a healthy baby and have taken up a very stren­u­ous diet — no sim­ple carbs, no dairy, no sugar… how­ever, I LOVE sweet potato chips or car­rot chips (sooooo goooood!)

26. Karen says:

Raw Rev­o­lu­tion Spir­ulina & Cashew Bar
    Trader Joe’s Peanut But­ter Filled Pretzels

Wel­come back to MN! I have always enjoyed your blog and knew there was a MN con­nec­tion. Now, maybe we’ll even cross paths! How cool! Safe travels.