The word “gin­ger” has got­ten a bad rap.

Yes, Harry Potter fans, I will have another series of HP-related recipes appearing on the blog very soon!

Well, you know what? It’s time to take a stand. I love me some Weasleys and I love me some gin­ger, too.

Awhile ago, sad­dened that it’s hard to find gin­ger ale that isn’t sweet­ened with high fruc­tose corn syrup, I decided to make some gin­ger syrup. Holy buck­ets, not only does it make a mean gin­ger ale, it’s so sim­ple and tastes great over ice cream or with yogurt, too! You could use it in a cock­tail, if you were so inclined. Gin­ger love for all!

Groovy Gin­ger Syrup
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup organic sugar
3–4 tbsp. freshly grated gin­ger (depend­ing on your tol­er­ance)
1/4 teas. vanilla

In a medium saucepan, com­bine the water and sugar. Bring to a boil, stir­ring often, then lower tem­per­a­ture to a sim­mer. Add the gin­ger and cook until sugar is dis­solved, stir­ring con­stantly, for about 5 min­utes. Remove from heat and then whisk in the vanilla.

Let syrup cool before using. Store in a sealed con­tainer at room temperature.

To make gin­ger ale, com­bine 1–2 tbsp. of syrup with 8 oz. sparkling water or seltzer. Gen­tly whisk to combine.

7 Responses to long live the gingers!

1. FoodFeud says:

Awe­some! Haha, I for­got that you were a big HP fan too! Who doesn’t love the Weasleys?
    This sounds great, I love gin­ger. I can def­i­nitely see this being put to use in a cocktail.

2. Andrea says:

I want to make this! How long can it be stored at room tem­per­a­ture, assum­ing it doesn’t get used right up.

Hmm… I’d say safely a week or two… although hon­estly I’ve had it up to a month and it was okay. But in terms of proper food preser­va­tion, I wouldn’t say I’d rec­om­mend that as I don’t want you to get botulism. :)

Oooooh, fab­u­lous! I know my gen­tle­man friend will love that gin­ger syrup… and he won’t be the only one!

4. Tiffany says:

I used to be ambiva­lent about ginger–good fla­vor but eas­ily overwhelming–but I’ve really taken to it over the last few years. I’m eager to try this gin­ger syrup. Thanks for shar­ing your recipe!

I love me some Weasleys too :-)

Last year I made my own crys­tal­lized gin­ger, and had a ton of gin­ger syrup as a byprod­uct of the process. Since I was mak­ing the gin­ger for a gift (I am not a huge fan of straight up gin­ger myself), I gave my friend the result­ing gin­ger syrup…now you make me think I should have given it a try!

6. Yum! Those actors who play the twins…if I weren’t to be called a cougar, now, I would nom nom nom them. :)

This syrup sounds easy & excel­lent. Will try when I need a treat: sure to be soon.