Last sum­mer I ended up inher­it­ing a set of cast iron cake pans. They had been in the fam­ily for sev­eral gen­er­a­tions and are in the shape of 3-D lambs. I wasn’t famil­iar with this tra­di­tion and a lit­tle inter­net research brought me to learn more about these sought-after lamb cake molds.

The tra­di­tion of lamb-shaped cakes at Easter is strong in var­i­ous com­mu­ni­ties, espe­cially the Chicago area, and mainly attrib­uted to the Pol­ish com­mu­nity, although every­one enjoys the lamb cakes (and but­ter and what­ever else can be shoved into a mold) this time of year. It seems that the his­tory is rooted in East­ern Euro­pean cul­ture and has been thriv­ing here in the US for as long as our ances­tors have been set­ting up shop. While you can get more mod­ern lamb cake molds, the older cast iron ones are highly sought after. I’ve even read sto­ries about older Euro­pean bak­eries going out of busi­ness and actual phys­i­cal fights between other bak­ers in town to get dibs on their lamb molds!

Given my Pol­ish Catholic roots, I jumped at the oppor­tu­nity to inherit this piece of bak­ing history.

I made a lemony pound cake to fill the mold with and then frosted it with a coconut cream cheese frost­ing. Tra­di­tion­ally, the frost­ing hack job would be masked with a layer of fluffy coconut “wool”, but I hate the tex­ture of shred­ded coconut, so rather I made some coconut grass and just set­tled with my lack­lus­ter frost­ing job. I think it gives him character. :)

This recipe can eas­ily be made in a 10–12 cup capac­ity Bundt pan. I found the gum­drops at Trader Joe’s– vegan and both nat­u­rally fla­vored and colored!

Lemony Lamb Cake

Cake:
3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. bak­ing pow­der
2 teas. bak­ing soda
1/2 teas. salt
1 cup mar­garine, room tem­per­a­ture
1 1/2 cups organic sugar
1/4 cup apple­sauce
juice of 2 Meyer lemons + zest plus milk of choice equal to 1 3/4 cups (if using reg­u­lar lemons, do not exceed 1/4 cup juice)
2 teas. vanilla

Frost­ing:
1– 8 oz. con­tainer of soy cream cheese, room tem­per­a­ture
2 table­spoons coconut oil, slightly melted (can just use mar­garine if not using coconut oil)
1 tbsp. mar­garine, room tem­per­a­ture
2–3 cups sifted organic pow­dered sugar

Addi­tional:
Coconut, food col­or­ing, choco­late chips, gum drops, etc. to decorate

Pre­heat oven to 350 and lightly grease and flour the Bundt pan. If using a cast iron lamb cake pan, you should have sea­soned it before get­ting to this step.

For the cake, in a medium sized bowl, com­bine the flour, bak­ing pow­der, bak­ing soda and salt. In a large bowl, cream together the mar­garine, sugar and apple­sauce. Add the lemon juice/milk combo and vanilla and com­bine well. Add the flour mix­ture in batches until just mixed. Divide bat­ter between sides of the lamb mold or spread into the Bundt pan.

Bake cake for 35–45 min­utes for the lamb cakes (depend­ing on the size of your pans) or 45–50 min­utes in the Bundt pan, until a tooth­pick comes out clean and the top of the cake is lightly browned. Remove pans from oven and let cool com­pletely in pan, on a cool­ing rack, before unmolding.

To make the frost­ing– cream together the cream cheese, coconut oil and mar­garine until smooth. Add the pow­dered sugar and mix until smooth and sweet­ened to your lik­ing. Refrig­er­ate for at least 30 min­utes to firm up coconut oil.

To assem­ble the lamb cake– level the sides of the lamb cake so they will match up and spread frost­ing on one side to “attach”. Care­fully sit lamb upright on the serv­ing plat­ter and con­tinue frost­ing. For the Bundt, spread the frost­ing over the top of the cooled and inverted cake. Store left­over cake in loosely cov­ered con­tainer in fridge.

Yields: 10–12 servings

16 Responses to mary had a little lamb (cake)…

1. Allysia says:

He’s so cute! You did a great job, I don’t think I could eat him. :)

2. Leigh says:

Wow, that turned out so cute! Well done.

3. Jojo says:

OMG! So cute!

Totally adorable! And I’m sure that was the most deli­cious lamb ever. :)

5. FoodFeud says:

Are you sure this is vegan? ;) So cute. My mom has one of those pans that she brings out every Easter. Maybe this year I can con­vince her to make it vegan!

6. Aimee says:

Yep, totally East­ern Euro­pean! My Czech fam­ily has made a lamb cake for Easter for as long as I remem­ber. My mom still has her grand­moth­ers cast iron mold (which will be mine some­day). We used to draw straws to see who got the head!! It’s the best part!

What an impres­sive cake! Your cake dec­o­rat­ing skills are above and beyond–seriously. I love the wreath/decoration around the lamb’s neck!

8. Amanda N says:

Shut the front door! How cute is that?!!!!!! Amazing!

9. S says:

That is so cute and pretty — what a shame to eat it! I’ve got your book and the not cheese bis­cuits are bril­liant. I keep mean­ing to make some­thing else but that recipe just keeps on hap­pen­ing! I plan to def­i­nitely make the hol­i­day loaf over Easter though and there are many other good­ies in there — great book. Thank you

10. Elisabeth says:

What a beau­ti­ful lamb! I miss Easter lamb cakes from my child­hood in Czech Repub­lic. My fam­ily would cover the lamb in melted choco­late that got hard as it cooled down. I wanted to veg­a­nize that tra­di­tional cake for a long time. I will use your recipe for the cake and cover it in choco­late.
    Your lamb looks much bet­ter than what I am used to, yours has a cute face and lovely colors.

11. Cute and looks great! A per­fect lit­tle Easter dessert!

12. Paula Mix says:

I have this same mold, been try­ing to make my grandmother’s pound cake recipe for years, seems to always ooze out and become flat or the pound cake isn’t cooked fully inside. Any input??

Paula–

My first instinct about the not-being-cooked symp­tom is that the tem­per­a­ture is too low. I would try rais­ing it by 15 degrees and check­ing it 10 min­utes sooner than you are used to. In terms of it being flat or ooz­ing out, I would check to make sure your leav­ener (bak­ing soda, bak­ing pow­der) is fresh, as stale leav­en­ing can lead to flat cakes. Also, I would make sure that you don’t open the oven door often (or at all, if pos­si­ble) while the cake is bak­ing, as the rush of cool air can deflate a cake.

Hope those sug­ges­tions help!

13. Lindsey says:

How cute. It does remind me of that joke about if veg­ans eat ani­mal crack­ers, though. :)

14. Wendy T. says:

Wanted to veg­a­nize my grandma’s lamb cake tra­di­tion. This is a GREAT cake! Am going to frost it in choco­late, since well, I just want to!

Thanks again. Will make this next year too!