Every month can be found to have a whole laun­dry list of ran­dom food hol­i­days asso­ci­ated with it. While most of them aren’t really worth men­tion­ing (Lima Bean Respect Day? What does that even mean?), I felt that one of the hol­i­days this month was truly worth cel­e­brat­ing.

Happy National Soft Pret­zel Month!

As a teenager, the mall food court would lure me with the siren song scents of soft pret­zels. And while I have moments where I am start­ing to pine for my lost youth, that non-vegan trash is not on my list of desires. How could it be, when now I can have them at home, freshly made with a blend of spelt flour and enjoyed with an array of fancy mus­tards and paired with some lager?

Nice.

dough +

a tasty sam­pling of mustards

= nom!

Supuh Soft Pretzels

1 teas. rapid rise yeast
1 teas. organic sugar or sweet­ener
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp. warm milk of choice
1 tbsp. mar­garine, melted
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole grain spelt flour (could use wheat or more all-purp)
1/2 teas. salt
3 tbsp. bak­ing soda
3 cups warm water

In a large bowl, com­bine the yeast, sugar and milk. Let sit for 5 min­utes, until yeast is “proofed” and has expanded and made milk look cloudy. In another bowl, com­bine the flours and salt. Add mar­garine to the yeast mix­ture and begin incor­po­rat­ing the flour 1/2 cup at a time, until a smooth dough comes together.

Turn out onto a smooth, clean sur­face and knead until dough becomes smooth and slightly tacky, but not sticky, adding flour as needed, about 5 min­utes. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm spot until dou­bled, about 1 hour.

Pre­heat oven to 425. Line a bak­ing sheet with parch­ment or lightly grease. Punch down dough and knead slightly until it feels uni­form. Divide dough into 6 sec­tions and roll each sec­tion out to about 12 inches. Let dough sit for a few min­utes to relax. While dough is relax­ing, mix bak­ing soda with water and stir until soda is dissolved.

Return to dough and roll out some more until each piece is between 18–20 inches long. Fold dough into a pret­zel knot and dip into bak­ing soda solu­tion (this gives them their sig­na­ture fla­vor and look). Place pret­zel on pre­pared bak­ing sheet and repeat.

Bake pret­zels at 450 for 10 min­utes, until golden and puffy. Remove from oven and brush with melted mar­garine or oil and sprin­kle with coarse salt before serving.

Yields: 6 servings

23 Responses to put some mustard on it!

1. Hope says:

Yummy! Oh man, I used to go crazy for those soft cin­na­mon sugar pret­zels at the mall.. These look way yum­mier than any mall pretzel!

Ooh, you could eas­ily make these cin­na­mon sugar by sprin­kling that on top instead of salt. Good idea… now I have the per­fect excuse to make them again soon!

2. Jojo says:

Y’know what? I’ve never had a soft pret­zel. That’s ridicu­lous right? I think I need to get on it asap!

3. Tiffany says:

How did I not know about this soft pret­zel hol­i­day?! Pret­zels are seri­ously some of the best things EVER. Yours look deli­cious. I will have to make a batch once I’m off my ill-timed spell of bread avoid­ance. Thanks for sharing!

You should have seen me after I’d made pret­zels for the first time (it was a test recipe for Celine) — you wouldn’t believe how ridicu­lously excited I was! For a whole week! Next time I need a mood booster, I’m mak­ing your pretzels!

It’s so cool when you make some­thing that seem so *out there* and then you real­ize how pow­er­ful you can be in the kitchen, armed only with some yeast, flour and a spatula. ;)

5. Kate says:

The only thing bad about home-made pret­zels is that they’re not done soon enough.

6. I love love love mus­tard!! and these look awesome!!!

thanks for sharing :)

xo

7. FoodFeud says:

These look great but I’m really just here for the mus­tard sampler!!

Thanks! I’m a plain Jane mus­tard eater, actu­ally, but my hus­band has been open­ing my eyes to the pos­si­bil­i­ties beyond clas­sic yellow.

8. Fanny says:

Soft pret­zels! I made some last autumn, and loved it, but then I kind of for­got about it. Now I will get into the kitchen and make it as soon as pos­si­ble again. I love the mus­tard sampler!

Isn’t it funny how you’ll make some­thing and be excited about it and then for­get? It’s kind of a bless­ing, though, because it guar­an­teed renewed excite­ment the sec­ond time around!

9. Amanda N says:

Oh, how deli­cious! I think you need to start an at-home pret­zel bak­ing mail-order com­pany ASAP. :)

I’ll add that to my list of dream jobs. How cool would it be to bake pret­zels all day? I love it when my house smells like yeasty bread.

10. Jackie Rolnicki says:

Would using reg­u­lar active dry yeast change any of the direc­tions? I’m drool­ing over these, but that’s all I have in the cupboard.

11. Amy says:

Mmm yummy… I have some smokey onion mus­tard in my fridge that these would taste yummy with, why did I never think to dip pret­zels in mustard???

12. Jay says:

Hi, I made some pret­zels (some pic­tures posted at my blog, too), and I wanted to point out that you have some con­flict­ing infor­ma­tion. You say to pre­heat the oven to 425, but then to bake them at 450. Is it one or the other or both? I baked them at 425, and they turned out well, so I would think it’s the for­mer. But they also didn’t look like the pic­tures, so maybe I should have baked them at 450 … Thanks!