Some­times avoid­ing going to the gro­cery store is a nui­sance, like when you end up liv­ing off of stale cereal and ques­tion­ably old soy milk.

Other times, it forces you to use up ran­dom things in your fridge, on the edge of extinc­tion, and deliv­ers deli­cious results.

Thank­fully this is the result of the lat­ter sce­nario, because I don’t really like cereal very much. :)

Almost every week I buy mush­rooms. Yet I don’t always use them and they end up get­ting sac­ri­ficed to the crisper gods. I con­sider it an offer­ing to the foodie gods.

Until the sun starts mak­ing more mean­ing­ful appear­ances, it is still solid soup weather here in the PacNW and I imag­ine the same is true for many of you. So, in this limbo of winter-to-spring, here is yet another soup recipe for you. Creamy and easy, this soup is the essen­tial com­pan­ion to a hearty whole grain bread, a rainy spring day and a good book.

Ron’s Souper Easy Mush­room Soup

If you have Net­flix (it’s avail­able for Watch Instantly) and like inap­pro­pri­ate humor, you have to watch a show called “Party Down”. It is HYSTERICAL. This soup recipe is ded­i­cated to the most endear­ing and pathetic char­ac­ter on the show, Ron, played by the ever-brilliant Ken Marino.

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp. soy sauce (or tamari, for gluten-free)
4–5 cups washed, chopped mush­rooms (a com­bi­na­tion of crem­ini and por­to­bello are awe­some)
2 tbsp. flour (brown rice flour works well here, if GF)
3 cups veg­gie stock or water (increase soy sauce by 1 addi­tional tbsp. if not using stock)
1 cup pre­cooked grain (wild rice or brown rice are excellent!)

In a stock pot, heat the oil under medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften and become fra­grant, about 3–5 min­utes. Add the soy sauce and mush­rooms and cook until mush­rooms begin to soften and release juices, about 5–8 min­utes, stir­ring often. Add the flour and 1/2 cup of the stock or water and cook until it begins to thicken, about 2 min­utes. Add remain­ing stock and cook until heated through and mush­rooms are ten­der, about 10 min­utes. Using an immer­sion blender or a counter top blender, process 1/2 of the soup until creamy. Return to pot and mix to com­bine. Add the grain and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.

Serve with crusty bread or salad or both. Or crack­ers. :) What­ever makes you happy.

Yields: 4 servings

9 Responses to souper easy!

1. FoodFeud says:

Now I wish I hadn’t ran­domly eaten all my “about to go” mush­rooms with no plan! I love the taste of wild rice with mushrooms!

I *love* gro­cery shop­ping (geek alert!) and I also hap­pen to love mushrooms–yum! I will be hit­ting up the store ASAP for some shrooms, as I have almost eaten through my cur­rent supply…they are just so good!

Ha, I totally love gro­cery shop­ping, too. I’ve devel­oped some bad habits being unem­ployed, though, and I can’t bear going out shop­ping in my sweat pants, unshow­ered… so some­times we suf­fer on without. :)

My third date with Jim, we went to the MOA and then after that he needed to go gro­cery shop­ping– you should have seen the look on his face when I got all excited and offered to go with him. LOL.

3. Leslie says:

This looks delightful.

4. Kate says:

Love this, I used corn starch to thicken as I didn’t have flour on hand and I tossed in gar­lic & thyme. Per­fect for this rainy day. Also, great bc I used brown rice I had left over from the night before.

5. […] nomnomnomblog.com via Ash­ley on […]

6. Yochva says:

Hi,

I’m just start­ing to live on my own and try­ing des­per­ately to form good eat­ing habits. It’s hard! I’m lazy in the kitchen, and I have only the the most min­i­mal uten­sils. This soup looks good, and I have a pack of mush­rooms I need to use… so I have some ques­tions about alter­ing the recipe.

Does it need to be blended? I don’t have a blender.
    Does any sort of grain work, or is rice best?
    If I dou­ble the soy sauce for lack of stock, should I still add all of it at the same time with the mushrooms?

Thanks! I apol­o­gize if this is out of line.

Hi!

No, it doesn’t need to be blended, but won’t be as creamy. The blend­ing is purely for tex­ture. You can use any grain, but I’d stick with a whole grain like brown rice. I think the white rice would start to break down. As for the soy sauce, yep you can add it at the same time.

Have fun on your culi­nary adventure!