Dairy cheese in Amer­ica can really be split into two cat­e­gories– actual cheese and then cheese “food prod­uct”. I remem­ber grow­ing up and think­ing that peo­ple who could afford the spray cheese in the can were really liv­ing large because that, my friends, showed both class and success.

From the minds of babes. Blorch.

One cheese-like food we never ate grow­ing up was Velveeta. It was too expen­sive, so instead I con­sumed end­less amounts of generic pow­dered cheese with elbow mac­a­roni. When I moved out and went to col­lege, I made sev­eral pur­chases to mark my inde­pen­dence and to break away into adult­hood– I bought a car (stu­pid deci­sion, col­lege fresh­man Kris), I bought name brand cereal and I started eat­ing copi­ous amounts of Velveeta.

Note to those under the age of 18– Fruity Peb­bles plus pasta cov­ered in faux cheese is the recipes for your fresh­man 15. Just the thought of it makes me feel sick.

That all aside, recently I was rem­i­nisc­ing about those good ol’ col­lege days and that intensely orange cheese and decided to remake it into some­thing both vegan and healthy. I’d love to have the food sci­en­tists at Kraft take a gan­der at this orange beauty:

But­ter­nut Squasheeta
1 medium but­ter­nut squash, roasted
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup nutri­tional yeast
1/2– 1 teas. lemon juice
1 teas. pow­dered onion
1/2 teas. pow­dered gar­lic
1/4 teas. salt
optional, but makes it much cheesier– 2 teas.- 1 tbsp. mild miso (depend­ing on pref­er­ence)
3/4– 1 cup water (to desired consistency)

Pre­heat oven to 375 and cut squash in half. Scoop out seeds and use 1 tbsp. of the oil to coat exposed flesh. Place cut side down on a bak­ing sheet with edges and bake for 45 min to 1 hour, until tender.

Let squash cool for at least 20 min­utes before remov­ing skin from flesh. Place squash in food proces­sor with all other ingre­di­ents except water and process for 30 sec­onds– 1 minute, until smooth. Add water 1/4 cup at a time, until desired con­sis­tency is reached. Keep sauce warm on stove, in a sauce pan, until use.

Serve warm over noo­dles or veg­gies. Store left­over sauce in a cov­ered con­tainer in the fridge for up to a week.

Makes 4–6 serv­ings, depend­ing on size.

14 Responses to ez cheese, no spray can required

1. tekuno says:

mmmm that looks soo good!

2. Brandi says:

Wow I would’ve never though of using but­ter­nut squash! What a great idea!

3. Hope says:

I love this post. You made me laugh so hard… “blorch” LOL. Cheese in a can is sooo nasty! I think the only thing worse is that processed meat in a can, blorch!!

To funny–I used to want the squeeze/can cheese *so* badly grow­ing up too! When I would go to friend’s houses who had it, I would seri­ously try to eat it at every oppor­tu­nity (break­fast? Could I put some of that squeezy cheese on my toast, please? Sadly, I am NOT jok­ing…). I begged my mom to buy it, but no luck. I have actu­ally never had Velveeta, but I do shud­der at the thought of that canned squeezy cheese…ugh. What was I think­ing?!?
    Your ver­sion sounds and looks so much bet­ter! I can’t wait to try it :-)

That is way too funny! A kin­dred teenage spirit!

You never missed out on any­thing with Velveeta– vegan cheese tastes more like cheese than Velveeta does!

Cheese in a spray can? I don’t think we have it here, thank good­ness! Your no-can-required ver­sion, though, looks delicious!

You are lucky if you’ve been able to defend your bor­der against this atroc­ity. :) It was new and pop­u­lar in the early/mid 90’s. It comes in a spray can like silly string, they even make it with bacon bits! It’s hor­ri­ble, really.

6. Mmmmm… processed cheese food sub­sti­tute. This looks kah-razy! There are some omni­vores in my life who will go nutso when they see this. :)

7. Mel says:

This is deli­cious! I can’t wait to give it to my daugh­ters on veg­gies tonight. I fol­lowed every­thing except instead of olive oil, I used tahini. It is per­fect. Thanks for sharing.

8. Gilly says:

I must say I’m enjoy­ing your 100 best bak­ing recipes, in fact the flax seed brown­ies are in the oven right now. I’m not sure about the fake cheese though. My hus­band is from MN I lived there for about 13 years and I found some of the cheese “prod­ucts” very strange. How­ever the one thing my hus­band misses from the USA (we are back in my native UK) is mag­i­cal cheese pow­der from the Kraft boxes of mac and cheese! Bizarre. Though the hor­ridest thing I ever saw on the shelves of a MN gro­cery store was mechan­i­cally sep­a­rated beef fatty tis­sue which was in some “Meat Prod­uct.” Now that’s enough to make you turn vegan!!!