Inter­ested in par­tic­i­pat­ing in a bake sale to ben­e­fit Japan? Check out this thread to see if there’s one near you or to start one yourself!

Hor­ray! Yes­ter­day was the first day of spring. Here in Ore­gon the cherry blos­som trees have been bloom­ing for a cou­ple of weeks and all of their other friends in arbor are sport­ing lit­tle green buds of promise. Warmer days will soon be ours!

In the mean­time, this bright lit­tle num­ber does just the trick to perk up your senses and please your taste­buds. This curd is per­fect for folks who love tang, but per­haps not the sharp­ness of mar­malade. Later this week I’ll post an accom­pa­ny­ing recipe that pairs beau­ti­fully with this tasty vegan curd.

In the mean­time, get segementing!

Sunny Grape­fruit Curd

1/4–1/3 cup sugar (depend­ing on desired sweet­ness)
2 tbsp. corn­starch
1 1/4 cup grape­fruit juice (approx­i­mately 2 medium sized grape­fruit)
1/4 cup grape­fruit seg­ments, roughly chopped

In a small pot, com­bine the sugar and corn­starch and mix until corn­starch has no clumps. Add the grape­fruit juice and mix to com­bine. Stir­ring often, bring mix­ture to a boil and add the grape­fruit seg­ments. Lower heat to medium-low and stir in grape­fruit seg­ments, stir­ring con­tin­u­ously. Cook until mix­ture begins to thicken and coats the back of a spoon, about 5–10 min­utes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.

Store curd in cov­ered jars in the fridge for up to 1 month. It will become very thick when cold, so stir well before using.

Yields: 1 1/2 cups

8 Responses to sunny grapefruit curd

1. FoodFeud says:

I love grape­fruit and mar­malade but have really only tried orange mar­malade, which is too sweet for me these days. This sounds per­fect, and so easy. Do you have any sug­ges­tions what to eat it with?

Later this week I will be putting up a recipe for Eng­lish muffins. It’s also great on toast (with a lit­tle Earth Bal­ance!) and I’ve even been spread­ing it on rice cakes.

Grape­fruits and I never got along, but my mom loves them. That would be a nice lit­tle some­thing to make and give her, maybe for Mother’s Day or something…

3. KT says:

I have to admit… the word “curd” incites a feel­ing of dis­gust in me that I can’t explain! I was so curi­ous about your post and ready to be grossed out (although I can’t pin­point WHY), but my-oh-my does this stuff look delight­ful! This tangy-sweet grape­fruit spread on a bagel sounds del­ish. :) I always inex­plic­a­bly lose my fine motor skills when try­ing to pre­pare or seg­ment a grape­fruit — per­haps this will be my ulti­mate chal­lenge!! Nom.

Ha! I totally get you. Curd leads to thoughts of cur­dling which leads to thoughts of nas­ti­ness. :) I assure you, it’s deli­cious and so sim­ple! Well worth the shot.

BTW, you only need a lit­tle bit of seg­mented grape­fruit, so it’s a good way to start.

4. Amy says:

I gen­er­ally get ner­vous about using corn­starch and was con­sid­er­ing using agar agar instead, and also have arrow­root. Do you think either of those might work? I have a hard time get­ting corn­starch to be lump-free. Thanks for your help and your awe­some blog!

Agar would prob­a­bly work, but you’d need to use con­sid­er­ably less so it doesn’t turn into gel candy. I find that mix­ing the corn­starch with the sugar keeps it from get­ting lumpy and it blends really well. You should also have good luck with arrow­root, with the same proportions.