Wel­come to week 2 of Treat of the Week. As promised, here is my recipe for some lovely, choco­laty cook­ies made with the fruit juice reduc­tion we made ear­lier in the week. Sun­spire makes some grain sweet­ened choco­late chips, which are per­fect if you are look­ing to be com­pletely cane sugar free.

fruit juice sweetened cookies

Juicy Choco­late Cookies

1 3/4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/3 cup bak­ing cocoa, sifted
1 teas. bak­ing pow­der
1/2 teas. bak­ing soda
1/4 teas. salt
1/2 cup mar­garine, slightly softer than room tem­per­a­ture
3/4 cup fruit juice reduc­tion, apple or white grape are the best
2 tbsp. unsweet­ened apple­sauce
1 teas. vanilla extract
1/3 cup grains sweet­ened choco­late chips

Pre­heat oven to 350. Line bak­ing sheets with parch­ment, if using.

In a small bowl, com­bine the flour, cocoa, bak­ing pow­der, bak­ing soda and salt. In a large bowl, com­bine the mar­garine, fruit juice reduc­tion, apple­sauce and vanilla and mix until it looks fairly com­bined (will look kind of, well, gross hon­estly). In batches, add the dry ingre­di­ents to the wet until well incor­po­rated. Add the choco­late chips.

Scoop cook­ies by the table­spoon, approx­i­mately 2 inches apart, onto the pre­pared bak­ing sheet. Bake for 9–10 min­utes, until the cook­ies have spread and edges are set. Remove from oven and let cool on sheets, on a cool­ing rack, for 10 min­utes before remov­ing from sheet to fin­ish cool­ing on rack. Store left­over cook­ies loosely cov­ered at room temperature.

Yields 2 1/2 dozen cookies

fruie juice sweetened cookies

16 Responses to Treat of the Week– Fruit Juice Sweetened Cookies

1. Jojo says:

Yay, treat of the week! Those look deli­cious, yet another recipe I’ll be mak­ing soon.

2. Ooh these look so chewy and dense and choco­latey and deli­cious! I’ll have to try the fruit juice reduc­tion, as I’m always look­ing to cut back on the amount of sugar I use.

Those seem to be yummy lit­tle chewy cook­ies! Oh, I bet a chocolate-orange ver­sion (with an orange juice reduc­tion) would be delicious…

Yay–thanks so much for shar­ing that recipe. It looks great. Is white grape really bet­ter than pur­ple grape juice for the reduc­tion? I have grape juice, but not *white* grape juice in the freezer…

You could try reg­u­lar grape juice, but I’m think­ing it will prob­a­bly have a slightly more pro­nounced fla­vor. Not nec­es­sar­ily a bad thing, though…

5. FoodFeud says:

Ooh, very nice look­ing. I made apple juice sweet­ened almond cook­ies last night and am pretty pleased with them. I can only imag­ine choco­late mak­ing every­thing even better!

Yum, those sound awe­some. Will you be blog­ging about them?

• FoodFeud says:

This is them. I did add some cane sugar as well because it wasn’t a juice reduc­tion like yours and it was my first time bak­ing juice sweet­ened, so I was a lit­tle ner­vous to cut out cane sugar com­pletely, but they were plenty sweet. Do you think I could use only apple juice if I worked with a reduction?

Those sound great.

I think you could totally get away with doing the reduc­tion for those cook­ies… I think you could do 1/3 cup of the reduc­tion and then add maybe 1–2 tbsp. addi­tional milk to make up for the vis­cos­ity gained from the sugar. Gran­u­lated sugar def­i­nitely affects the mouth­feel, so they would be more cake-type cookies.

6. Danielle :) says:

Is there a way to make them with­out being chocolate-chocolate chip cook­ies? Do I just take out the cocoa and replace it with more flour? HELP!
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m SO mak­ing it this way too, but just for another choc.chip cookie option :)

My rea­son for adding the choco­late is to help mask the fla­vor of the fruit juice reduc­tion. It has a pres­ence, not a bad pres­ence, but one nonethe­less. You could replace the cocoa with 1/2 the cocoa mea­sure­ment of addi­tional flour.

7. Janine says:

Our whole fam­ily has gone to a sugar, gluten, dairy free diet. I and two of my daugh­ters are aller­gic to eggs. Is there an alter­na­tive flour we can use? I can ask the health food store but didnt know from your per­sonal expe­ri­ence if you would rec­c­om­mend one. Thanks!

Janine from Colorado

Hi Janine–

There is no catch-all sub­sti­tu­tion, sadly, because gluten-free flours need to be blended to have a sim­i­lar con­sis­tency to wheat. I would sug­gest get­ting some flour blends from places like Bob’s Red Mill and start­ing there. You can get an idea of what flours your fam­ily like the taste of (com­monly, they have a rice flour base, which can vary from very smooth and ten­der to kind of gritty). I tend to use a blend of brown rice flour, tapi­oca starch and some guar gum, but I only have recipe spe­cific pro­por­tions, not a basic blend. There is a great web­site resources called xgfx that is full of gluten-free, vegan recipes and info. Hope that gets you going in the right direction!