I am adrift in a sea of tem­plates, CSS and code. Alas, I am mak­ing progress on my awe­some new improve­ments to nom! nom! nom! and shall be debut­ing them soon.

In the mean­time, here is a recipe from my upcom­ing book Have Your Cake and Vegan Too. Out of all 50 recipes, this is def­i­nitely in my per­sonal top 5, per­haps even my top 2. It would make a fab­u­lous cake for Valentine’s Day. Your only require­ment is that you have to watch the YouTube video below, as it is clas­sic com­edy gold, plus the name­sake of this mouth-watering treat. If you end up mak­ing the cake, you have an oblig­a­tion to sing the song at least once.

Dad is Great Choco­late Cake

If you’re still freak­ing out about tofu in dessert do your­self and every­one else a favor and get over it! This loaf cake is deli­cious and deca­dent and so very sim­ple. My insanely picky lit­tle brother (who lives off of chicken fin­gers and french fries, no joke) loved it and so I made sure to tease him about the fact that he ate tofu after pol­ish­ing off his piece. Hehe­hehe… he never knew.

Cake:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup bak­ing cocoa, sifted
1 teas. bak­ing pow­der
1/2 teas. bak­ing soda
1/4 teas salt
1 cup milk of choice
1/3 cup oil
1 1/2 teas. vanilla
1/4 teas. mild vine­gar
3 tbsp. crushed choco­late cook­ies, crushed nuts or shaved choco­late to garnish

Choco­late Cream:
1 12 oz. asep­tic con­tainer of firm silken tofu, room tem­per­a­ture
1 1/4 cups choco­late chips
2 tbsp. brown rice syrup or agave
1/4 teas vanilla

Pre­heat oven to 350. Lightly grease and dust (with cocoa pow­der) a 9×5 loaf pan.

In a small bowl, com­bine the flour, sugar, cocoa, bak­ing pow­der, bak­ing soda and salt. In another bowl, com­bine the milk, oil, vine­gar and vanilla. Let sit for a minute. Add the dry to wet in batches, beat­ing until just smooth. Spread the bat­ter into the pre­pared pan and bake for 40–45 min­utes, or until a tooth­pick inserted into the cen­ter comes out clean. Let cake cool in the pan for 15 min­utes before loos­en­ing and trans­fer­ring to the cool­ing rack.

While cake is bak­ing, pre­pare the choco­late cream. In a dou­ble boiler over low heat, melt the choco­late until smooth, stir­ring often. If you don’t have a dou­ble boiler, put about 1–2 inches of water in a pot and place a heat-safe bowl over it, mak­ing sure the bot­tom of the bowl is sus­pended over the water. In the bowl of a food proces­sor or blender, crum­ble the tofu. Blend for about 30 sec­onds, until fairly smooth. Add the melted choco­late, brown rice syrup and vanilla and blend until well incor­po­rated, scrap­ing down the bowl or can­is­ter as needed. Trans­fer the cream to a con­tainer and chill in fridge for at least 1 hour.

To assem­ble: Care­fully cut the com­pletely cooled cake into thirds using a cake lev­eler or knife. Spread 1/3 of the choco­late cream on top of the bot­tom layer and place the mid­dle layer on top. Spread another 1/3 of the cream on that layer then place the top layer on. Spread the final 1/3 on top of the cake. Gar­nish with crum­bled cook­ies or choco­late shavings.

Store cake in an sealed con­tainer in the fridge.

19 Responses to this one goes out to the ones I love

1. Molly says:

yum!!!!
    i want to make this tonight! like right now! is there an sub­sti­tute for the rice syrup? that is the only ingre­di­ent i don’t have on hand. :)

Read­ing through the recipe again, I hon­estly won­der why I didn’t jump on this one while we were test­ing for your book… it sounds great! I should be able to find an oppor­tu­nity to make it soon, what with Valentine’s Day and my gen­tle­man friend’s birth­day being only a few days apart. :)

Josiane– It’s prob­a­bly because you were the health­i­est tester and stuck to the recipes that at least pre­tended to have nutri­tional value. ;) But choco­late has antioxidants!

3. Lee Ann says:

I was think­ing about this the other day — it is so good.
    I have a box of tofu that needs using — per­fect timing.

I had some left­over silken tofu the other day and made a half batch of the cream just to straight-up eat. Ooh, I can’t wait to eat it with fresh berries. Come on, summer!

4. […] Dad Is Great routine—very fun for a Fri­day, take a few min­utes to check this out via nom! nom! nom! blog. I am adrift in a sea of tem­plates, CSS and code. Alas, I am mak­ing progress on my awe­some new […]

I love Bill Cosby… :0)

I know, me too. I just watched some episodes of The Cosby Show on Net­flix the other day. I love that show.

• Courtney says:

I freak­ing LOVE the Cosby show…when I was lit­tle I wanted to be adopted into the Cosby family–no joke, lol. That show rocks! Actu­ally, eat­ing some of your deli­cious cakes while watch­ing the Cosby show would rock…why didn’t I do that over the sum­mer dur­ing test­ing?!!?? That needs to change NOW!

6. Hello! I thought my web­site might be of inter­est to you: http://www.vegerator.com

Veg­era­tor is a veg­e­tar­ian recipe web­site that helps you cre­ate tasty meals based on what you already have in your home. It’s sim­ple: you type in the food you cur­rently have in your fridge and pantry; then Veg­era­tor presents you recipes that include those ingredients.

I under­stand this is prob­a­bly con­sid­ered spam, so no hard feel­ings if you delete it! We’re new to the web & just try­ing to get the word out.
    – Zachary

7. Laurie says:

I came accross your web­site today and read your recipe, look­ing for some­thing good to make for Valentine’s Day. This cake sounds good, but I didn’t even know what “vegan” meant until I read about it on your web­site! I’m from rural Mis­souri where tofu is almost a bad word, even though soy beans are a major crop here. But, nev­er­the­less, I’m going to try this on my fam­ily of 6 on Mon­day. And, by the way, Bill Cosby is a clas­sic and nice touch to your recipe.

8. Mo says:

Drool. That cake looks decadent!

9. Marika says:

Kris, I can’t wait for my copy of the book to arrive (pre-ordered!!). I’m so excited! CAKE!! Thank you for shar­ing this awe­some choco­late cake recipe in the mean­time <3 LOVE the anec­dote about your brother eat­ing tofu, lol :) p.s. Love the site over­haul! Nicely done :D

Marika, thanks for the sup­port! My brother is so silly, he’s the pick­i­est eater and he’s turn­ing 19 this year– no more excuses!