When I was a kid, I hated any­thing bit­ter. Grape­fruit was the break­fast antithe­sis of all that is good in my chubby lit­tle world– sugar coated crunchies and cus­tard filled donuts. Now as an adult my palette has changed quite a bit and bit­ter foods, like tahini and grape­fruit, have come to hold a spe­cial place in my heart.

This sim­ple, two ingre­di­ent smoothie has become a break­fast main­stay and I have to say, it’s truly awe­some, even if rev­el­ing in the fla­vor of grape­fruit makes me feel like like I’m get­ting on in years. Meh. Grapefruit’s good for the health, no? The late, great Jack LaLanne would cer­tainly approve.

Kris’ Awe­some Anti-Aging, OMG-IAM–Aging 2 Ingre­di­ent Break­fast Smoothie

1 red grape­fruit
1/2 a ripe banana, frozen

Seg­ment the grape­fruit, being mind­ful not to put your eye out. Place grape­fruit and any addi­tional juice from fruit rinds into a blender. Add the banana, chopped into chunks. Process until smooth. Add sweet­ener if desired, but know it will debit points from your geri­atric street cred. ;)

And now, in other news…

The final touches have been made on the man­u­script and it is off to the print­ers! My upcom­ing book Have Your Cake and Vegan Too is avail­able for pre­sale on Ama­zon! It fea­tures 50 vegan cake recipes, includ­ing some yummy gluten-free options and FULL COLOR PHOTOS! As fun as it is to pre­sale books you’re antic­i­pat­ing, don’t for­get that super cool vegan owned stores like Cos­mos Vegan Shoppe will be car­ry­ing the book once it’s released. Our tar­get release date is April 1st, no joke.

I have been work­ing on a lot of really cool new things for nom! nom! nom! blog. The site is under­go­ing a com­plete redesign that will make it much more dynamic. In addi­tion, the con­tent and the ways I share said con­tent will be chang­ing. nom! nom! nom! will be grow­ing from a blog to a very full and robust site. It’s still a cou­ple of weeks out until the new site is up, but know that a change is comin’- and it’s going to be rad!

20 Responses to 2 ingredient smoothie and book update

1. FoodFeud says:

Oh my good­ness, this is all hap­pen­ing so quickly! That cover looks amaz­ing — who knows what secrets it holds. Con­grat­u­la­tions oh and nice smoothie too! I see you’ve got your own grape­fruit spoon ready. Those are the best.

2. leigh says:

Yay! Cake book time (almost)!!

Almost! It’s tech­ni­cally sched­uled for April, but I have a feel­ing it will prob­a­bly ship in mid-March– our babies will be deliv­ered around the same time! ;)

I’m so glad to read that the book will be out in a few short months — yay! There are so many scrump­tious recipes in there; they need to go out into the world!
    I’m look­ing for­ward to see­ing what you are cook­ing up for your new site. It sounds exciting!

4. Amanda Nobile says:

I loooooooove grape­fruit too! And I can’t wait for your book to come out! And the new web­site too! So many excit­ing things to look for­ward to. Thanks!!

OMG, Kris, con­grats on the book! I had no idea it was so close to com­ing out…how excit­ing :-) It was great fun (and tasty, lol) to be a tester. The cover looks lovely and I am sure it will be a hit! How could it not be?!? Whoo-hoo!

6. Kelly says:

Pshaw! I’ve loved grape­fruit ever since I was a kid… I take offense at the geri­atric comments! :P

Con­grats on the book! That’s super exciting. :)

Aw, don’t take offense! I’m just kid­ding, when I think of grape­fruit I always think of my grandpa because he ate them all of the time.

7. Hope says:

Awe­some! I’m mark­ing my calendar!

• Hope says:

Also, I really appre­ci­ate this smoothie recipe. It looks so refresh­ing! I have a grape­fruit tree (doesn’t every­one in Florida?) and I can never find enough stuff to do with those things!!

8. rachel says:

i think that smoothie looks devine. i may have to try it! i like grape­fruit but i have to be in a mood for it. con­grats on your book :) how awesome!

9. T says:

Oooh I love grape­fruit, I will have to give this a spin! And what a gor­geous cover, congrats.

10. Vaala ◪ says:

Ooo, that smoothie sounds so deli­cious! I love grapefruit…my favourite fruit of all time. I must have been old right from the start because I used to eat lemons like oranges when I was younger. I still love them although I’m not quite that hard­core anymore!

11. […] by this 2 ingre­di­ent smoothie, i had a great use for those old […]

12. That’s it. I need to go buy some grape­fruit.
    Love your blog!!

13. Mo says:

Such a beau­ti­ful smoothie, and I can’t wait for the book!