Wow, I’m finally get­ting to my first post of the new year. I can’t believe it’s 2011!

Every year I eager antic­i­pate the hol­i­days, to a bit of an extreme. I just love every­thing about the hol­i­day time! The lights, the music, the food, fam­ily, wrap­ping presents… it’s just the best. Unfor­tu­nately, once the new year rolls around we’re just left with win­ter. Dreary, bor­ing win­ter. Blah.

To counter the dark and the driz­zle, here’s a healthy, hearty quick bread that is deli­cious and sure to perk up a win­tery afternoon.

I’ve got­ten really ter­ri­ble with quinoa. When­ever I make it, there always seems to be some that’s left loi­ter­ing around in my fridge with noth­ing to do. This quick bread uses some cooked quinoa to add pro­tein and sub­stance to this lightly-sweetened bread.

Cherry Almond Quinoa Bread

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup organic sugar
1 1/2 teas. bak­ing pow­der
1/2 teas. bak­ing soda
1/4 teas. salt
1 1/2 cups cooked, cooled quinoa
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. milk of choice
1/3 cup mild oil
1/2 teas. almond extract (optional)
1/4 teas. vanilla extract (increase if not using almond)
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup dried cher­ries
1/4 cup choco­late chips

Pre­heat oven to 350. Lightly grease and flour a stan­dard sized loaf pan.

In a small bowl com­bine the flours, sugar, bak­ing pow­der, bak­ing soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together the quinoa, milk, oil and extracts. Add the dry ingre­di­ents to the wet in two batches until just mixed. Gen­tly mix in the chopped almonds, cher­ries and choco­late chips.

Bake for 55–60 min­utes until a tooth­pick comes out clean (no bat­ter, but okay if crumbs stick to the tooth­pick). Let bread cool in pan, on a cool­ing rack, for 30 min­utes before serving.

Yields: 10–12 slices

13 Responses to hello, 2011!

1. Amanda Nobile says:

What a fan­tas­tic idea! I really need to get more pro­tein into my diet and this is such a delight­ful way to do so! Thanks!! And Happy New Year!

2. Ooooh, good idea! I have some left­over quinoa hang­ing in my fridge right now. :-) I love that tea towel!

Thanks, Bianca! My step­mom has a sewing machine capa­ble of dig­i­tal embroi­dery and she made me a whole set of them for Christ­mas. They are so cute!

3. Lee Ann says:

Quinoa and choco­late — what a great idea.
    I’ll try it tonight as I’ve just fin­ished your “You are my sun­shine loaf”.

Glad to hear from you, Kris! I was think­ing of you lately and won­der­ing how you were doing.

That bread sounds ter­rific! I can’t wait to try it, and yet… it’ll have to wait a bit: I’ve promised my gen­tle­man friend that we’d bake your Choco­late Stout Bread tonight. We have the per­fect stout for it: a local microbrewery’s cocoa-vanilla stout (it’s amaz­ing!) — I’m sure it will be delicious!

5. FoodFeud says:

I’ve seen a few breads with quinoa in them. I’d really like to try it, or maybe make a few sub­sti­tu­tions for this bread because I don’t have quinoa right now (sad, right? My left­overs just get eaten!) but the fla­vors sound deli­cious. Dried cher­ries are so good.

Happy New Year Kris!

7. Looks really good Kris! I’ve been in a real bak­ing mood lately, I’ll have to see if I can hold myself back from eat­ing all the quinoa and actu­ally hav­ing some leftovers.

8. Lee Ann says:

The bread turned out great. Nice (health­ier) alter­na­tive to cake.
    Every­one loved it. It’s a keeper.

9. Lynda says:

This bread is deli­cious — I am mak­ing my sec­ond loaf today, as soon as my quinoa cools. Thanks for the recipe!