Look at this beau­ti­ful cake. So pretty. So ele­gant. What a per­fect dinner.

Now, before you think I’m on a path straight to Type 2 dia­betes, let me assure you that we have not digressed to eat­ing cake for din­ner (as tempt­ing as it may often be). Sev­eral weeks ago, I was intrigued and humored by Mo’s “Meat” Cake. I’d wanted to run what that idea for Thanks­giv­ing din­ner, but with mov­ing and what not, it wasn’t going to happen.

Until last weekend.

They say there is a first time for every­thing and I think that using my off­set spat­ula and frost­ing tips on gar­lic mashed pota­toes def­i­nitely fall into that cat­e­gory. I used my lentil and grain meat­loaf recipe and made a dou­ble batch, which I baked in two 8 inch cake rounds. The cen­ter is filled with sweet pota­toes, topped and frosted with gar­lic mashed pota­toes and some cran­ber­ries and served with mush­room gravy. Strange but deli­cious, just the way I like it. :)

12 Responses to a cake of a different feather…

1. FoodFeud says:

Wow. I saw this on her blog but it must have got­ten lost in the Thanksgiving/MoFo chaos. This is certainly…something. It actu­ally looks beau­ti­ful and seri­ously hearty.

2. Fanny says:

Oh you did it too! Yours is way pret­tier than mine, but I enjoyed it very much.

3. louzilla says:

Yesss, another “meat” cake! Yours looks so ele­gant, and the pre­sen­ta­tion is freakin’ awesome.

Fun idea! I can eas­ily imag­ine how deli­cious that must be. Yum!

5. Leigh says:

Yours looks great! Such a pretty mashed potato top­ping. After see­ing Mo’s I threat­ened to make one of these myself, but Ken was seri­ously not hav­ing it. He’s weirded out by the food confusion.

6. Amanda Nobile says:

So pretty! And I bet so delish!

7. spabettie says:

this looks awe­some! so pretty!

8. Babygirl says:

Very nice post and pic­tures.. very delish

9. That looks great… I’m def­i­nitely going to have to try to make this soon! :)

10. Michal says:

How neat.. I have never seen any­thing like that before!

11. Elisabeth says:

This din­ner cake looks stun­ning! I wish I thought about that idea for Thanksgiving!

12. Nicole says:

Lemme tell you, I was some relieved when I saw what you wrote below the sec­ond photo, ’cause when I saw that gravy on the plate and thought you’d made some sorta funky car­rot cake, I was feelin’ kinda iffy about it all.

This is going on my to-do list — it would be great to see my cowork­ers faces if I brought this to a potluck :)