Or lay-on-the-couch-and-watch-TV-all-day fuel. Or Tofurky-coma-hangover-need-energy-to-tolerate-family-I-only-see-this-time-of-year fuel. What­evs. It works in any scenario.

While you worry about the food for today, let me worry about the food for tomor­row. Use some of the left­over ele­ments of Thanks­giv­ing that will be lurk­ing in your fridge, des­tined to mold (ah, we all have such good inten­tions, don’t we?), and turn them into a hearty, deli­cious post-Thanksgiving break­fast. Creamy yet chewy steel cut oats join forces with that last lit­tle scrap of pump­kin puree, some spices and maple syrup to make an ulti­mate break­fast. And with left­over cran­ber­ries on top? Ooh yeah, that’s what I’m talkin’ ’bout.

T-Day Oats

Serves 2

2 cups water
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1/4– 1/3 cup pump­kin puree (depend­ing on taste)
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1/8 teas. pump­kin pie spice
1/8 teas cin­na­mon
cran­berry sauce (optional)

In a pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the oats and lower the tem­per­a­ture to a sim­mer. Let cook until oats absorb most of the water, about 15 min­utes. Add the pump­kin puree, maple syrup and spices and mix well. Let cook until oat­meal is bub­bly and cooked to desired consistency.

Serve with a driz­zle of maple syrup and some cran­berry sauce, if using.

7 Responses to black friday fuel

1. Steffers says:

Ok, I’m hijack­ing some of my mom’s cran­berry sauce for break­fast tomorrow!

Also, the pie crust from your book is cur­rently encas­ing a black­berry pie. It is my FAVORITE crust!

What a great break­fast idea! Hearty and deli­cious! There are no T-Day left­overs around here — hey, it was last month, they’d be seri­ously moldy by now! ;) — but I may well open a can of pump­kin puree and make cran­berry sauce just for this. And then, I’d have to make a feast to use the leftovers…

3. Lizzie says:

The cran­ber­ries look so bright and wonderful!!

4. Elisabeth says:

Great idea! You can even take it with you for a lit­tle mini break­fast pic­nic under a tree. Or load some soy vanilla ice cream on top and eat it now!

I hope you had a happy Thanks­giv­ing, Kris!

6. Beth says:

Holy crap, I just tried this for break­fast (yes, there’s still cran­berry sauce left­over– gak!), and DAMN that combo is good. I’d say the cran­berry isn’t optional any­more– it’s a MUST.

Yay! Glad you liked it! I have some more left­over pump­kin in the fridge right now and I’m think­ing that I’m going to make up some a mini batch of cran­ber­ries for break­fast tomorrow.