Okay, I’m kind of suck­ing at MoFo. I think Novem­ber is not as good a month for it, it’s too busy. Plus, I have some news to share soon (no, I’m not preg­nant) that has been tying up my time, but that will come.

I love me some tomato soup. It’s my go-to food when I’m feel­ing sick and there are lots of recipes for tomato soup out there, but a lot of them end up tast­ing like spaghetti sauce or salsa. Blech.

Elephant’s Deli, in Port­land, is a beloved deli and cater­ing place that is famous for their unique tomato soup. They are not famous for their vegan options. Need­less to say, the soup is not vegan, but it’s so loved that they are nice enough to share the recipe on their site. Based on its cult sta­tus, I couldn’t resist whip­ping up a veg­a­nized batch of it… and it is seri­ously good. And the mys­tery ingre­di­ent that makes it so intrigu­ing really does give it that je ne sais quoi.

I’m not going to repost their recipe since I already linked to it and didn’t get per­mis­sions to do so. All I sub­sti­tuted was plain soy milk for the cream and vegan mar­garine for the but­ter, obvi­ously. The soy milk worked well, but I bet soy creamer would be even bet­ter. You’d expect it to cur­dle, espe­cially with orange juice (fresh is a must, it’s so good!), but some­how it works.

What’s your most nos­tal­gic com­fort food dur­ing the dreary win­ter months?

15 Responses to tomay-to, tomah-to…

1. leigh says:

Either mac & cheeze or “chicken” and dumplings.

2. FoodFeud says:

It’s not exactly a com­fort food, per se, but I make a lot of roasted root veg­etable sal­ads in the win­ter, mostly because the oven keeps the kitchen warm!
    Hot tod­dies cer­tainly com­fort me too…

Oh, that reminds me: I had promised you a tomato soup recipe, right? Gosh, I haven’t yet got­ten around to unpack­ing my books and we’ve moved over two years ago… but I think I may be able to find the book in which this incred­i­bly sim­ple recipe is. I’ll do it before the end of the win­ter, I promise!

My most nos­tal­gic com­fort food? Wow, I have no idea. It must be soup. The kind of soup mom made, with a ton of stuff in — veg­eta­bles, beans, rice… Actu­ally, when I make it, it looks more like stew than soup: I tend to pack the pot full, no mat­ter how big the pot is, and then there isn’t enough space to add more water! That’s how I like my soup!

4. Molly says:

Hot tea with cream and sugar paired with a big bowl of hot oat­meal with brown sugar, cream, and pecans. YUM!

5. Beth says:

Aw, you don’t suck at MoFo! I’ve loved your posts so far, and the good ones last for days, you know? ;-)

6. Seglare says:

I have never learned to make good tomato soup and have become almost too afraid to try — but I might chal­lenge myself with this one day. :)

My favorite win­ter com­fort foods are prob­a­bly my mom’s spicy lentil soup, veg­etable chilli, and (after I met my boyfriend) Ethiopian food.

7. Lee Ann says:

Leek and Potato soup.
    So sim­ple, so delicious.

8. Lizzie says:

It’s cur­rently 27 degrees here (with wind chill), and I am very much look­ing for­ward to a bowl of stew to warm up. Although, based on feed­back from The Hus­band, maybe I should call it soup more than stew, appar­ently stwe is sup­posed to be thicker…anyway, lots of car­rots, taters, and peas, thrown in the crock pot with some veg broth, pep­per, and a splash of liq­uid smoke, and cooked all after­noon. And even bet­ter if I’ve moti­vated myself to bake some biscuits!

You don’t suck at any­thing you do, Kris! All of your posts have been wonderful :-)