Today is Octo­ber 19th. For those of you who are “in the know”, Novem­ber 19th marks the open­ing night in the US for part one of Harry Pot­ter and the Deathly Hal­lows. One month to go!

So excited!

To mark the occa­sion, I will be post­ing some HP inspired treats from the book series. I may end up cre­at­ing some of the goods eaten by our fear­less trio in the books, but many of the ideas I have are spin-offs from the saga. Like this one, the name of which was cre­ated by my HP-lovin’ lit­tlest brother, Alec.

I apol­o­gize for the unprece­dented geek­i­ness herein. No, actu­ally, I don’t apol­o­gize. Gryffindor, FTW!

The Sorcerer’s Scone

These spiced gin­ger­bread scones, speck­led with blood-red Sorcerer’s Stone like cran­ber­ries, are the per­fect treat to boost your energy before a night time prowl around Hog­warts in your invis­i­bil­ity cloak. Or, you know, a nice pick-me-up with a cup of tea while you read HP and the Sorcerer’s Stone for the 8th time in your sweats. The col­ors almost mir­ror the gold and scar­let col­ors of the Gryffindor house. Coincidence?

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teas. pow­dered gin­ger
1 teas. cin­na­mon
1 teas. bak­ing pow­der
1/2 teas. bak­ing soda
1/4 teas. salt
1/4 cup cold mar­garine
1/3 cup + 1 teas. milk of choice
1 tbsp. + 1 teas. molasses
1/2 teas. vanilla
1/4 teas. mild vine­gar
1/2 cup chopped fresh cran­ber­ries or 1/3 cup dried cran­ber­ries
coarse sugar

Pre­heat oven to 400. Line a cookie sheet with parch­ment paper.

In a small bowl or the bowl of a food proces­sor, com­bine the flour, sugar, spices, bak­ing pow­der, bak­ing soda and salt. Add the mar­garine in chunks and blend in until the mix­ture resem­bles a coarse sand. In a sep­a­rate bowl, com­bine the milk, molasses and vine­gar and whisk to blend. Add the vine­gar and let sit for a minute before adding to the dry mix­ture. Mix the dough with a firm spat­ula or get your (clean) hands dirty and mix a uni­form dough begins to come together. Gen­tly mix in the cranberries.

Shape dough into a 9– 10 inch disc on the pre­pared cookie sheet. Top with a sprin­kle of the coarse sugar. Score the scones into 8 wedges but do not separate.

Bake for 18–21 min­utes or until lightly browned on the edges. Let cool on cool­ing rack for 10 min­utes before sep­a­rat­ing with a knife.

Any­one else HP-geeking? :)

15 Responses to a gryffindork bakes…

1. FoodFeud says:

Ummmm amaz­ing! I can’t wait to see the other Harry Potter-themed goods! The date for the movie com­ing out has been writ­ten in my appoint­ment book all year!
    Also I love gin­ger­bread, and these sound great. Clever title too!

We have this awe­some the­ater near us and they have what they call Liv­ing Room the­aters… 21+, only seats 70 in giant, over­stuffed seats and ottomans, servers bring you food, etc. It only costs $2 more per ticket! They just wrote on FB that their mid­night tick­ets are up and there are still some for sale… I’m really tempted, but know I can’t get the next day off of work, and would prob­a­bly be very remorse­ful after a 3 hour movie. :(

2. Kelly says:

You had me at Gryffind­ork! I LOVE this lit­tle series; it makes my HP-lovin’ self very happy! Actu­ally, I was plan­ning on work­ing book/movie/art-inspired foods into my themed posts for MoFo, so I might just make these to enjoy while sip­ping my first attempt at Pump­kin Juice. Yay Potterheads!

3. Leigh says:

The Sorcerer’s Scone. You are too funny!

4. Amanda Nobile says:

YUMMEEEE! I love gin­ger­bread and scones! And clev­erly titled ones at that! Thanks so much for the recipe and wit!

P.S.
    I made your Best Banana Bread from 100 Best Vegan and it really is! Thanks!

Love it! I am re-reading the book now so that I will be up to speed when the movie comes out and not for­get a sin­gle thing…geek alert, lol. Can’t wait!

I can out-geek that, this week­end I’m going to start with book 1 and work my way through 7, if I can, before the movie. You have to keep it fresh!

HP fan or not (I tend to be on the “not” side), these scones sound extra­or­di­nar­ily delicious!

7. Yum — made gin­ger scones the other day and they were great. Gin­ger­bread scones take it one step fur­ther to deliciousness!

8. Even though I know noth­ing about HP (though my wife is a fan) and it’s not gin­ger­bread sea­son, these were delicious!