One of the many rea­sons that I love Trader Joe’s is because aside from the every­day sta­ples (like flour and soy milk), you dis­cover these ran­dom trea­sures. They vary by region (I still miss the vegan grape juice sweet­ened cin­na­mon rolls they sell in Phoenix) and you never know how long you have before they mys­te­ri­ously dis­ap­pear, just as quickly as they came. A recent trip uncov­ered a new friend, lurk­ing in the shad­ows. Who knows how much time we’ll have together?

Vacuum-sealed like a lit­tle bun­dle of love, peanut flour! While almond and hazel­nut meal are essen­tially just finely chopped nuts, peanuts are too oily and would just make peanut but­ter so the peanut flour is par­tially defat­ted to make it light and powdery.

So what do I do? I make cook­ies, of course! And after all these years of bak­ing, I’m happy to post my first (and def­i­nitely not last) gluten-free recipe!

I’m not usu­ally big on post­ing recipes that have exotic ingre­di­ents which aren’t widely avail­able… to make up for it, I’m going to do a give­away! Sorry folks, but US res­i­dents only. Leave a com­ment and I will draw a ran­dom win­ner on Fri­day and will send them a bag of peanut flour!

Gluten-free* PB Cookies

1/4 cup agave
3 tbsp. veg­etable oil
2 tbsp. peanut but­ter
2 tbsp. milk of choice
1/2 teas. vanilla
1/4 cup choco­late chips

Pre­heat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parch­ment paper.

In a small bowl, com­bine the dry ingre­di­ents, through the salt. Mix well to break up any clumps. In a larger bowl, whisk together the agave, oil, peanut but­ter, milk and vanilla. Incor­po­rate the dry into the wet until just mixed than add the choco­late chips.

Scoop out in even sized scoops onto cookie sheet and flat­ten each cookie slightly. Bake for 8–10 min­utes until they are slightly golden and the edges are set.

Makes 1 dozen cookies

*If you don’t want to make them gluten free, omit the brown rice flour, sorghum flour, tapi­oca flour and gum and replace with 3/4 cup all-purpose flour.

31 Responses to peanut… flour?

1. yasmin says:

Peanut flour — sounds good! Would love to try some.

Those must be deli­cious! I’ve just bought a bag of coconut flour; I guess I could use that until peanut flour can be found around here. :)
    (I’m on the other side of the bor­der, as you know, so there’s no need to put my name in the hat.)

3. Megan says:

OOOH I’ve been eye­ing that peanut flour at TJ’s for the last few weeks!

4. MollyG says:

Ohhhh! They finally opened a Trader Joe’s near my this week! I have been wait­ing for one that is closer then 45 min­utes away by sub­way (NYC) for years! Not that I don’t want to win your give­away, of course, but I am look­ing for­ward to search­ing for my own good­ies this weekend!

5. Amy says:

No Trader Joe’s stores in Col­orado so I’d love to win some of that stuff.

6. Jordan P says:

I’ve never seen any nut flour! I bet that would go well with some pump­kin in the cook­ies too. Mmmm.

7. VeganLinda says:

I’m not a TJ fan, but the peanut flour does sound good. I would love to try it!

8. Andrea says:

I’ve never seen peanut flour at TJ’s, but like you said, you never know exactly what you’ll find or how long it will be there. Have you ever tried their roasted toma­toes and chilies? Every so often I’ll see the cans and snap up a bunch before they disappear.

9. Abby says:

So funny, I just passed this today & thought “What the heck would I do with that?”. And now I know! Please tell me that it adds an extra layer of peanutty taste? I love peanuts!

10. Melisser says:

Nii­i­ice! So true about TJ, you never know what will stay around. Also, vegan grape juice sweet­ened cin­na­mon rolls?!

11. Sarah says:

Sounds good, I would like to use this to make my favorite peanut but­ter cookie recipe for starters, then all kind­snof things after that. Rumor is that Omaha is get­ting TJ’s. Hope it’s true so I can pick this up if I don’t win!

12. Kate says:

Oh how awe­some. We have our old­est on a really restricted diet right now and this would be per­fect for him.

13. Kelly says:

Cool! TJ’s has the great­est, most ran­dom stuff sometimes. :)

14. jess says:

this sounds amaz­ing.… and TJs had vegan cin­na­mon rolls… WHAT??

15. Verity Kae says:

Id love to bake with that flour! Sounds amazing. =]

Kris, I NEED this! I am gluten free and I haven’t been able to taste any of the tester recipes I have been mak­ing, lol. I want those cook­ies! They look fantastic.

You know, I used to be in love with Trader Joes when I lived in Boston–they ROCK there!–and I was SO excited when they opened one in MN. But…meh. the one here is just not as good! I was/am really dis­ap­pointed in it. Bummer.

17. Alyson says:

Peanut flour? I love every­thing peanut… would love to try this! And the cook­ies look delicious!

18. Lee Ann says:

We don’t have TJ’s in Col­orado yet –but I will be going to the one in Mil­wau­kee next month and hope that they carry it.

19. anonymous says:

how long do you bake these for?