{Thanks for your par­tic­i­pa­tion in my poll below! I think it stands that I’ll be play­ing around with cheesecake!}

While I love to talk about food and about all of the deli­cious vegan feasts we enjoy, I can get tired of the ques­tions. You know the kind, where the inquirer doesn’t actu­ally care what the answer is, they just have to ask in that pointed way, to try and make a spec­ta­cle of you.

What are you eating?”

Most peo­ple are decent when it comes to the work­place lunch room, but I do work with a cou­ple of these peo­ple. The peo­ple who stop their con­ver­sa­tion when I pull out my lunch to start inspect­ing what I’ve brought. The peo­ple who would never be will­ing to try the bites I offer up, but can’t help play­ing 20 ques­tions to fig­ure out what’s in it and how I made it, all while turn­ing up their noses. The peo­ple who com­plain that I never bring in any cake and then won’t even try it when it’s sit­ting on the lunch­room table.

Whew. Appar­ently I needed to vent.

Any­way, those ques­tions get old. How­ever, there are some things I eat that I love to rub back in these people’s faces.

The greeen smoothie is alive and well in our home. I often have one for break­fast and pour them into a Mason jar so I can take it to work and enjoy it at my desk, in lieu of morn­ing cof­fee. But in the world of Hot Pocket break­fast sand­wiches and frozen bagel sticks piped full of cream cheese (can they pro­duce more dis­gust­ing things?), this Hulk-inspired drink never fails to turn heads.

And you know what, while I tire of hav­ing my quinoa/salad/hummus wrap/tofu lunch selec­tions dis­sected, I never tire of suck­ing down a deli­cious green smoothie and detail­ing all of the ingre­di­ents. I think it’s because to many peo­ple it’s the most revolt­ing thing I con­sume at work yet it’s prob­a­bly the most dessert-like (next to the cake they won’t touch). It’s amaz­ing how badly we judge books by their covers.

When did green become such a bad thing?

Green Mean­ies Smoothie

3 full kale leaves, with stems, washed*
1 inch square patch of wheat grass, washed*
1–2 hand­fuls of spinach, washed
1 frozen banana
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup frozen straw­ber­ries
1 tbsp. coconut oil

Place ingre­di­ents in order listed into the con­tainer of a high power blender (tear the kale a bit). Process on high for 1 minute, scrap­ing down the inside of the con­tainer if necessary.

Serves 2.

*If you don’t have a high pow­ered blender (Vita-Mix or BlendTec), I rec­om­mend remov­ing the kale stems and omit­ting the wheat grass.

8 Responses to it’s greeeeeeeen

1. Abby says:

Have you ever noticed that if it’s for the tak­ing, peo­ple at work will gen­er­ally shove just about any­thing in their mouths? That is, unless “the vegan” brought it in. Why don’t they have so many ques­tions about ingre­di­ents when it’s some­thing they really SHOULD be investigating?

P.S. I’ve been vegan for a looooong time and I’m still afraid of the green smoothie!

Don’t be afraid! It really does just taste like fruit!

Yes, peo­ple will shove what­ever chemical/rotting/overall-nasty thing in their mouths with­out a bat of the eye, but when it comes to eat­ing some­thing “weird”, watch out!

Too bad those cowork­ers don’t have a clue how deli­cious your cakes are! They really would stop with the ques­tions as soon as they’d have their mouths full of that goodness!

Your green smoothie sounds (and looks!) awe­some! I really should start mak­ing some at home; I think the prospect of hav­ing to wash the blender every time holds me back — yes, I’m that lazy. ;) I’m sure I’ll get there, if only to recre­ate the cel­ery smoothie I have at a restau­rant in Mon­treal; I love it, and would be happy to have it more often and in a not-quite-as-sweet version.

Josiane– It’s an invest­ment, but the Vita-Mix is so worth it. It oblit­er­ates every­thing to liq­uid in a mat­ter of sec­onds and it’s SO easy to clean, it only takes a few moments.

3. Vaala ◪ says:

Every­one needs a good rant :)

Ooo, I love a good green smoothie! I’ve even got my Mum on to mak­ing and drink­ing them!

• Emily says:

I’ve never had any­one at work refuse my bak­ing just cos it’s vegan, and that includes your lemon drop cook­ies recipe :) — your co-workers are silly!

In fact, two peo­ple at my work asked me to marry them on the strength of my bought-in bak­ing last week and one of those made proper nom­ming noises when they were eat­ing, which was very gratifying.

Emily, you’re lucky! I think one bad egg ruins the batch, because where I work now peo­ple are so picky! In the past this hasn’t been a big deal. I think the other thing is that cul­tur­ally peo­ple are more com­fort­able eat­ing processed foods and eat­ing home­made is actu­ally a turnoff for a lot of folks– weirdness!

That’s so cool! Isn’t it great when you can share the love and get oth­ers excited about eat­ing good things?