Things will be wind­ing down a bit soon, and I have lots of yum­mi­ness to post. Soon, I promise.

Until then, we have a chick­pea adven­ture that is slowly unfold­ing. Let me tell you a lit­tle story…

Once upon a time, two dried chick­peas were bored. They sat around in a mason jar with all of the other dried chick­peas and noth­ing hap­pened. Then, one day, a man brought the jar out onto the counter. Some­thing excit­ing was going to hap­pen! What they didn’t real­ize was that this was no ordi­nary man, it was the Hum­mus Man! Then, they saw the pres­sure cooker. “Oh no!” they thought. “We have to do some­thing or we’ll become dinner!”

So the two chick­peas schemed their way out of the colan­der and dropped down into the bot­tom of the dish­washer, which was slightly ajar. It was dark and a lit­tle damp. They didn’t know what to do, so they decided to lay low for a cou­ple of days.

And then, they sprouted.

The Hum­mus Man found them 3 days later, lit­tle white sprouts about 1 1/2 inches long, and decided to float them in some water and give them some sun. Within hours they were green. By the end of the week, the sit­u­a­tion had got­ten a bit out of hand.

So the Hum­mus Man planted them. And it was good.

The chick­pea plants spent their days on a high win­dow sill, observ­ing the silly cats who ruled the Hum­mus Man’s home, enjoy­ing the process of pho­to­syn­the­sis and spec­u­lat­ing the ori­gins of the plants out­side. But two weeks later, the chick­peas had out­grown their lit­tle pots, so the Hum­mus Man had to replant them.

The Hum­mus Man was so kind to them, repot­ting them in pretty new terra cotta pots with three times as much room, giv­ing them water and star­ing at them ador­ingly, so they decided to give him a present.

Because no one had taken the time to explain the cycle of life to the chick­peas, they didn’t know what it meant to become deflow­ered. Oops.

Oh my!” said the one chick­pea plant to the other, “I’m with child!”

Me, too!” said the other plant!

And so the story continues…

Believe it or not, we’ve gone from dried bean to three-foot-tall plant in 4 weeks. :) Given that nei­ther Jim nor I have ever kept any­thing which you plant alive before, this is going quite well. Here is some more info on chick­peas and how they grow.

Stay tuned to the chick­pea saga! It’s like a foodie soap opera!

Tagged with:

8 Responses to adventures in chickpealand…

  1. That is super excit­ing! I might have to try my own exper­i­ment soon :)

  2. veganplaisir says:

    Wow, that is an incred­i­ble story of chick­pea cre­ation. Chick­peas are one of those foods I’ve just never given enough thought to where they come from, so I am amazed! Plants… with chick­peas grow­ing on them! Cool.

  3. Josiane says:

    Hey, I was think­ing of you a cou­ple of days ago! I was glad to see your post appear in my reader this morn­ing!
    And wow, what a post! That’s so awe­some! Very excit­ing indeed. I’m look­ing for­ward to the next part of the saga!

  4. How cool! That flower is really pretty. Can’t wait to hear where this story goes.

  5. cmb0096 says:

    How cool is that?!? Wow.

    Great to see you post­ing again! Look­ing for­ward to more posts :-)


  6. Caitlin says:

    Great story, very cute!

  7. Ricki says:

    How very cool! The plant is so pretty, too. I have no idea how chick­peas grow… look­ing for­ward to the rest of the saga! :)

  8. Who would have thought that chick­pea plants would be so cute!