Hello there!

I hope Jan­u­ary was fruit­ful for every­one. Can you believe it’s Feb­ru­ary ALREADY?! 2010 is shap­ing up to fly by fast.

Other than being busy, not much has changed over here… my pis­ta­chio kick is still hold­ing strong. I just can’t get enough of their com­plex aroma, fla­vor, color… nom. I have been eat­ing a lit­tle too much pis­ta­chio pud­ding and look­ing for other ways to incor­po­rate them.

Fun­nily enough, I heard about the big PR cam­paign to revamp pis­ta­chios after the samonella scare last year… and they have some ques­tion­able peo­ple at the helm of that campaign.

Hmm…

So what is this sup­posed to say about pis­ta­chio eaters? We’re dumb and low-brow?

Thank­fully for the pis­ta­chios they sell them­selves, so these silly ads shouldn’t slow them down. And some pis­ta­chio cake doesn’t hurt any, either.

I’m on this sim­ple cake kick lately– no lay­ers or elab­o­rate top­pings, just good old cake with a fla­vor­ful accent. This cake is dense, moist and rich and the aroma… ah! I know some peo­ple think that dark choco­late is reserved for pre-holiday bak­ing, but to heck with them! While this would cer­tainly make a deli­cious hol­i­day cake, I’ll eat some dark choco­late anytime!

Pis­ta­chio Cake with Choco­late Sauce

1 cup ground pis­ta­chios
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 teas. bak­ing pow­der
1/4 teas. salt
1– 8 oz. con­tainer soy cream cheese, room tem­per­a­ture
1 1/3 cups milk of choice (I used almond)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teas. vanilla

1/2 cup chopped dark choco­late
3 tbsp. milk of choice
1 tbsp. margarine

pis­ta­chios for garnish

Pre­heat oven to 350. Pre­pare a 8 or 9 inch cake pan by greas­ing and flour­ing and/or lin­ing the bot­tom with parchment.

In a small bowl com­bine ground pis­ta­chios, flour, sugar, bak­ing pow­der and salt. In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese and some of the milk using elec­tric beat­ers. Incor­po­rate the remain­ing milk in batches. Add oil and vanilla.

Com­bine dry ingre­di­ents with the wet ingre­di­ents in batches until bat­ter is just mixed. Spread into pan and bake for 40–45 min­utes, until a tooth­pick comes out with just some lit­tle crumbs cling­ing to it.

To pre­pare the sauce, com­bine dark choco­late, milk and mar­garine in a dou­ble boiler and melt until smooth. Serve cake with warm choco­late sauce driz­zled on and some pis­ta­chio garnish.

nom nom nom…

14 Responses to cracked is a little whack…

1. Sandy says:

It is del­ish! Thanks for shar­ing!! The sauce is super choco­latey and came at a time of a much needed choco­late fix :). Love how moist the cake is. You have mas­tered moist vegan cakes!

2. Vaala says:

If you’re grind­ing your own pis­ta­chios for the cake do you use raw nuts? This looks really good (as usual).

3. Kris says:

Hey Vaala!

In the US, I’ve never seen raw pis­ta­chios, so I’m guess­ing the ones that I use are toasted. I would rec­om­mend toast­ing them prior to grind­ing. I ground mine in my food proces­sor easy as pie (or cake). :)

4. Nora says:

a beau­ti­ful thing!

The last pic makes that cake look so tempt­ing! Yum!
    I’ve never received the memo say­ing that bak­ing with dark choco­late was a pre-holiday thing! I can hardly believe that peo­ple really make up and fol­low such silly rules… why would any­one deny one­self the plea­sure of dark choco­late when­ever the mood strikes, for no good rea­son? Oh well, now that I know, I’ll keep on bliss­fully ignor­ing that “rule”! :)

It’s it weird? I’ve read that before, things like cin­na­mon, dark choco­late, etc aren’t “sup­posed” to be baked with after New Year’s. What­ever. I’ve always been a rule breaker. :)

6. I love pis­ta­chios. Prob­a­bly my favorite nut! And I dig sim­ple cakes some­times, sans icing. Yum!

7. DJ Karma says:

Looks amaz­ing! Love the choco­late on top ”)

8. Claryn says:

This is awe­some! Pis­ta­chios have always felt so com­plex and grown-up to me. The cake looks delicious!

9. mihl says:

I love pis­ta­chios a lot! Thank you for the awe­some cake recipe.

10. Ben says:

Wow, that looks wonderful.

Also I just real­ized that you have Hi-Res pho­tos of your food if you click on the photo! It looks absolutely amazing.

Yes, they are hi-res… it’s not that I’m just too lazy to resize them when i down­load them off of my cam­era and would rather eat away at my stor­age space… hi-res… ;)

11. Veggiepunk says:

I made this cake and it was really dense, like a gel almost, noth­ing like the pic­ture. It taste really good, but tex­ture was strange. What did I do wrong?