{unre­lated side­note: I am get­ting very low on my own stock of The 100 Best Vegan Bak­ing Recipes and I don’t plan on reorder­ing. If you want to pur­chase an auto­graphed copy (along with nom! nom! nom! but­tons!) in time for the hol­i­day and before I run out, you might want to click here. Shame­less pro­mo­tion over.}

I had a star­tling real­iza­tion the other day. About brownies.

See, brownie tex­ture can be a touchy sub­ject amongst brownie lovers. Some peo­ple like a thin, chewy brownie, some peo­ple like a thicker, cake-like brownie– you can see where a debate might arise. I have one recipe for each respec­tive group in my book, in my bid to cre­ate world peace via baked goods.

But I for­got one group.

I don’t know how it hap­pened, but the fudgey brownie lovers were left out of my equa­tion. Back to the draw­ing board! But, alas, a per­fect dense, intensely fudgey brownie was made and how the impend­ing peace can begin.

If you or yours like fudgey brown­ies, you are going to love this recipe. I used to align myself with the chewy folks, but now I’m rethink­ing this whole thing. And they aren’t too ter­ri­bly unhealthy… Well, you will note that there is a lot of sugar in this recipe, but that is indica­tive of the chem­istry of a brownie, which requires sugar at least equal to and nor­mally greater than the amount of flour. This ratio is nec­es­sary for the proper tex­ture, oth­er­wise you just have a dense cake. They have a spe­cial ingre­di­ent con­tribut­ing to their fudgey­ness. No one will ever guess unless you tell them… :)

Fudgie Wud­gies

1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup unsweet­ened bak­ing cocoa (prefer­ably Dutch pressed), sifted
6 tbsp. mar­garine, melted
1– 15 oz. can pump­kin puree (not pump­kin pie puree)
2 teas. of vanilla
2 teas. instant cof­fee gran­ules (optional, but def­i­nitely add that sumpin’, sumpin’)

3/4 cup flour
1/2 teas. bak­ing pow­der
1/4 teas. salt

1/2 cup choco­late chips
1/2 cup pecans (yay, debris!)

Heat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan or line with parchment.

In a large bowl, mix together sugar and cocoa until cocoa is mixed in. Add melted mar­garine and mix until mix­ture begins to get clumpy then add pump­kin puree. Add vanilla and cof­fee and mix well to break up any clumps and to dis­solve the cof­fee. I highly rec­om­mend using elec­tric beat­ers, it will also help with the dry mixture.

In a small bowl, com­bine the flour, bak­ing pow­der and salt. Add dry to wet and mix until com­bined and there are no clumps. Add choco­late chips and pecans.

Spread into pre­pared pan and bake for 35–38 min­utes or until top of brown­ies looks set and a tooth­pick comes out with a fudgy coat­ing, but not wet with bat­ter. Let cool com­pletely (or for as long as you can stand it) before serving.

18 Responses to oh fudgies!

1. Sandy says:

I must admit this brownie was heaven in my mouth!! It was del­ish, moist and full of yummy nuts and choco pieces. Thanks for bright­en­ing my day by shar­ing your lovely brown­ies and vis­it­ing with me dur­ing my recup!!

xo

2. cmb0096 says:

Yay! I am a total fudgey brownie lover, and I am thrilled to see this recipe! Thanks for not for­get­ting us…and for becom­ing one of us :-) Fudgey is the best, right?!

3. Megan says:

YESSSS! Big fudgy brownie fan here! I can’t wait to try this. :)

4. Kimberly says:

These look yummy, but what size can of pump­kin should I use? The only one avail­able at the gro­cery store is 28 oz., which seems like a lot of pump­kin for a pan of brown­ies. Could you please con­firm the size? Thanks so much!

Good ques­tion! A 15 oz can is what I went off of, which is your stan­dard can size. You could use about 1 3/4 cups from that 28 oz can and then use the left­overs to make the pump­kin waf­fles from Vegan with a Vengeance!

5. hackneyrtb says:

How much is in “1 can” of pump­kin puree? I’m in the UK and I’m not sure if our can sizes match yours — thanks.

6. Ben says:

Man those look good.
    I am part of both camps: fudgey and chewy.
    Chewies are per­fect for a grab an go snack while fudgey are more of a sit down treat.

P.S. is your blog snowing?

7. Vaala says:

Ooo, I don’t know if I’ve ever had fudgey brown­ies before but it sounds divine. But per­son­ally I just like brown­ies full stop!

Oh yeah, and I love the snow falling on your pho­tos. That’s SO cool!

It doensn’t really mat­ter to me if brown­ies are chewy or fudgey: brown­ies are yummy, period! And those look par­tic­u­larly delicious…

9. Nora says:

This is bril­liant! I love pump­kin in baked goods.

10. karla says:

hey, kris, i got a kick out of see­ing your cook­book men­tioned on Annie Duke’s blog (http://www.pokerroad.com/blog/annie-duke/posts/vegan-pumpkin-chocolate-chip-cookies…i was look­ing for a pump­kin choco chip cookie recipe)! she’s the poker player that got sec­ond place at Celebrity Appren­tice (that annoy­ing Don­ald Trump show).

glad she’s plug­ging your book!

11. these look amazing!

*new to your blog, but wanted to say hi ;)

12. […] Nom! Nom! Nom! Blog: Fudgy Wudgies! […]

13. Susan G says:

Hi, just bought your new book. I bought it beca­sue of the pic­ture of the brown­ies — I love that flaky top, just like Dun­can Hines. The recipes look fab­u­lous and easy — and use “reg­u­lar” ingre­di­ents! Can’t wait to try every­thing out.