novcookie1

Beware cook­ies! Your nat­ural preda­tor is on the hunt!

Most nights Jim and I won’t be past the first half of our din­ner before he looks at me with a sly expres­sion and asks, “What do we have for dessert?”

Most often, I try not to have any­thing. I’m not try­ing to be cruel, but after cre­at­ing two cook­books that focused on bak­ing and the result­ing sweet tooths, I really try to curb the snacks and treats, only bak­ing when it’s for an event or meant to be shared. Dessert often amounts to a square of high qual­ity choco­late or a mouth­ful of peanut but­ter and choco­late chips, where Jim will then patiently wait, with a full mouth, for the chips to melt before mash­ing it all on the roof of this mouth with sat­is­fac­tion. Such a silly boy…

But some­times we want a real dessert, not some sug­ary stand-in. Being fully aware of how weak we both are, I know that mak­ing a whole batch of cook­ies is never a good idea. It always ends in the two of us sneak­ing cook­ies well after we should have stopped and a remorse­ful belly ache. Self con­trol in the sweets arena has never been very suc­cess­ful in our house.

Which brings us to this recipe, Cook­ies for Two. This makes 8 reg­u­lar sized choco­late chip cook­ies, 4 for each per­son. I know 2 is a more appro­pri­ate serv­ing size than 4, but hey, we’re tak­ing baby steps. If you can muster some restraint, eat 2 after din­ner and save the other two for your lunch the next day.

novcookies2

Cook­ies for Two

1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp flour
1/4 teas. bak­ing soda
spin­kle of salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup mar­garine, soft­ened
splash of vanilla
splash of vegan milk of choice
3 tbsp. to 1/4 cup choco­late chips

Cookie Coat­ing (optional)
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 teas. fleur de sel

Pre­heat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment.

In a small bowl com­bine flour, bak­ing soda and salt. In a medium bowl cream together the mar­garine and sugar. Add vanilla and milk. Add dry ingre­di­ents to wet in batches until well com­bined. Add choco­late chips.

Roll table­spoon sized dough balls in the Cookie Coat­ing (if using) and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 10–12 min­utes or until cook­ies have risen, spread and the edges are set. Let cool com­pletely (well, not too com­pletely) before serving.

Makes 8 cookies.

15 Responses to cookies for two

1. Melisser says:

Sounds like the per­fect amount to me!

2. MsDerious says:

I love this :)

I often find that I want a cookie or two, but most recipes make loads more than I ‘need’. I’m going to give this a try :)

3. kilax says:

Thanks for the recipe! I need a cut down ver­sion like that! We also always bake a ton of vegan sweets and have to find peo­ple to share them with. Or freeze them. Oth­er­wise… nom nom nom. They’re gone right away!

4. JD says:

Yes, that is a great idea. Veg­web has a Cho­coloate Chip Cookie for One, that makes one big or sev­eral smaller cook­ies that I occa­sion­ally make. I will have to add your recipe as well.

5. Those look per­fectly puffy. Yum!

6. yasmin says:

This is great! I face the exact same dilemma fre­quently. I’ll have to try them soon.

7. I love cookie recipes that only make a few. I live alone, so when I bake, I typ­i­cally have to take most of the sweets to the office lest I gorge myself in a sugar coma.

Per­fect! I too have no self restraint, which is why I rarely bake things to have in the apt–only if I am tak­ing it with me some­where. I have been known to eat a whole pan of brown­ies in a day (did I just say that?!)…
    Since it is just me, I might even try cut­ting your recipe in half :-)

I like cook­ing and bak­ing in big batches, but some­times a quick lit­tle some­thing like those yummy-looking cook­ies is just what I need!

10. Chelsea says:

Love this! Will print and save for a night when we need a lit­tle some­thing sweet! xo

11. Sandy says:

so cute and what a great por­tion. Thanks for shar­ing the recipe!! xo

12. JENNA says:

I love the idea behind Cook­ies for Two!

13. tahinitoo says:

I love this post Kris!!! Tim and I are the same way — one batch of cook­ies can be demol­ished in less than a day. And, Tim is for­ever email­ing me at work ask­ing “Where’s my treat?”. It’s mighty funny, but he is so darn seri­ous and quite a cookie muncher. I have started mak­ing smaller batches of cook­ies too, but it seems I am mak­ing smaller batches every other night. HA! Oh well. These look yummy and I will make them soon!

14. Linda says:

Awe­some! I am delighted to see a recipe which is designed to serve a cou­ple. Mak­ing full recipes of cook­ies and freez­ing them is no solu­tion in our house! My hus­band is like a frost-seeking mis­sile when it comes to frozen cook­ies and will eat them hard as bricks from the freezer. Down­sized recipes are the way to go in our house!

15. kindas says:

this recipe worked per­fectly! i added a lit­tle almond extract because i had no vanilla…