I’m kind of clas­sic when it comes to eat­ing fruit but­ters– slathered on a chunk of bread or warm toast is all I need to feel bliss. But that was a very large amount of pump­kin but­ter to make, regard­less of how much I love Dave’s Killer Bread.

Enter my favorite meal of the day: break­fast. Pump­kin is fab­u­lous with break­fast. A chilly morn­ing, cof­fee per­co­lat­ing, aro­matic spices drift­ing from the kitchen– perfection.

Pump­kin But­ter Pancakes

1 1/2 cups flour (I used 1/2 white whole wheat and 1/2 all-purpose)
1 tbsp. sugar
2 teas. bak­ing pow­der
1/2 teas. bak­ing soda
1/2 teas. cin­na­mon
1/4 teas. pump­kin pie spice
1/4 teas. salt
1 cup pump­kin but­ter
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups milk of choice
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp. oil
1/2 teas. vanilla

In a large bowl com­bine flour through salt. In another bowl com­bine the pump­kin but­ter, milk, water, oil and vanilla. Add the wet ingre­di­ents to the dry and whisk to com­bine. Add more liq­uid as needed.

pumppan

Let bat­ter sit while heat­ing your grid­dle. Ladle bat­ter onto grid­dle using a mea­sur­ing cup to ensure equally sized pancakes.

pumppan1

Let pan­cakes cook until edges are set and mid­dle begins to bub­ble then flip, about 3 min­utes. Cook other side for about 1–2 min­utes. This will depend on how big your cakes are (we like ‘em big!).

Yields 6 good sized pan­cakes. Serve with a smear of pump­kin but­ter and some syrup. We’re com­pletely in love the with agave/maple blend from Trader Joe’s right now.

pumppan3

13 Responses to pumpkin in my pancakes, told a tale on you

1. Vaala says:

Oh man, that looks like a divine break­fast. How would you recre­ate pump­kin but­ter and pump­kin pie spice if you don’t have those options read­ily available?

2. Vaala says:

Right…just found your pump­kin but­ter recipe on the next post down. Silly me!

3. veganplaisir says:

Awe­some, I’ve got some pump­kin but­ter I was won­der­ing what to do with. And I haven’t had pan­cakes in at least a year, for serious.

This alone is enough rea­son to push me to make pump­kin but­ter! I’m not a fan of pan­cakes (I grew up on crepes), but those look delicious!

5. Now this is what I call a good break­fast :)

6. Nora says:

yum! do they have a taste that’s sig­nif­i­cantly dif­fer­ent than reg­u­lar pump­kin pancakes?

7. That looks won­der­ful!
    I guess I’m gonna have to prowl around Chicago for some pump­kins near me.

P.S. It cracks me up how we can see Chef Helper (from a few posts ago) in the top photo

No need to prowl, I’ll send you some pump­kin but­ter in a care pack­age. What kind of sis­ter would I be to make you cook pump­kin but­ter your­self while you’re in grad school?

8. Molly G says:

Not to be a kill-joy, but the first ingre­di­ent in the Trader Joe’s Agave-Maple blend is cane juice… Not Agave, not maple… I liked the idea (from the sound of the name), but I think TJ’s is totally mis­rep­re­sent­ing their prod­uct in this case.

9. emmalee13 says:

These look great! I have a quick ques­tion, do you mean to list bak­ing pow­der twice? or is one of those bak­ing soda? Thanks!