Okay, so in the last post I men­tioned that I’m not much of a girly-girl. And now here is more evi­dence to the contrary.

Jim was out of town last week­end and it made me think of a scene from an episode Sex and the City (yes, I’m a huge SATC fan) where Car­rie is talk­ing about her fears of liv­ing with Aidan (who was the best boyfriend, IMO, but he deserved bet­ter than Car­rie) and her love of sin­gle behav­ior. She talks about how she likes to eat grape jelly on saltines while stand­ing in her kitchen read­ing fash­ion mag­a­zines and wouldn’t feel com­fort­able doing it with him there. And I totally get it. I’ve been mar­ried for almost seven years and hav­ing the house to your­self is a rare thing. All of those sin­gle things, those self-indulgent things that we would be embar­rassed to have some­one else wit­ness, have either come to the sur­face and been accepted at this point or have died a nat­ural death.

But on the rare occa­sion when you have the house to your­self, you have the option of liv­ing like a bach­e­lor again. Dishes piled up in the sink and I don’t care? Check. Unabashedly wear­ing mis­matched sweats with bed­head because I’m not leav­ing the house today? Check. Eat­ing food that doesn’t really qual­ify as a meal for din­ner? Check.

In my pre­veg days a bachelor-style week­end would have prob­a­bly meant lots of chicken Cae­sar wraps, fries and pizza. And it could have been vegan pizza this week­end, but I was too lazy to leave the house for the fixin’s (hence the sweats and bed­head). My bach­e­lor food is not very scan­dalous and is far more ani­mal and body friendly, but does involve another man: Edgar, the Vita-Mix.

In case you ever ques­tioned it, yes, I am this lame. :)

But I’m going to share with you one of my favorite new bev­er­ages since com­ing upon the Vita-Mix. It’s truly the def­i­n­i­tion of “refreshing”.

You start with this:

vita1

Grape-Lime Slush Spritzer

Rough recipe for 1 serv­ing:
1 cup rinsed grapes
1 very thin slice lime (with rind)
1/2 cup ice
bub­bly liq­uid of choice (spring water, seltzer or cham­pagne for a sLUSHy!)

vita2

Place every­thing (except bub­bly) in the Vita-Mix. Process for about 20–30 sec­onds on vari­able speed 8 or high.

vita3

You can either enjoy it as a slushy or add some of the bub­bly to make it a thin­ner spritzer.

vita4

Seri­ously deli­cious and guilt-free.

And now for the shame­ful bach­e­lor din­ner I had with this lovely drink.

vita5

That’s it. Just a giant plate of gar­lic roasted brus­sel sprouts. Noth­ing more, noth­ing less. Paired with this drink and enjoyed in front of some Net­flix Watch-it-Now. What can I say, I’m a bor­ing old mar­ried gal at heart, I guess. :)

14 Responses to bachelor living with Edgar

1. jessy says:

#1. Kris, you are crack­ing me up! i love your mofo posts the absolute most!
    #2. Aidan was indeed Carrie’s best boyfriend, but you’re right — he deserved bet­ter.
    #3. i too looooove hav­ing the house to myself. dan started train­ing to become a fire­fighter and he’s out 2 nights a week & all­lll day sat­ur­day. i fo ‘sho sit around in my jam­mies ‘n comfy hoodie and eat stuff that i know he’d crin­kle his nose at. brus­sels (and why have i never thought to roast them with gar­lic?! i’m so gonna do that.), any­thing with mus­tard, parsnips, cab­bage, and all kinds of greens. oh yeah — and sam­mies made with an ungodly amounts of earth bal­ance and pick­les. i swear they’re deli­cious!
    #4. your grape lime slusher spritzer looks most excel­lent, refresh­ing, and down­right glo­ri­ous.
    #5. i love your kit­teh pint glass!

2. tahinitoo says:

Hahaa! Comfy liv­ing at its best!!! The spritzer-slushy recipe looks amaz­ing — I will be mak­ing that when the ingre­di­ents are stocked in my kitchen. And, hooray for the arrival of Brus­sels sprouts!!! My favorite!

It is SO good! I had some­thing sim­i­lar to it when I bought the Vita-Mix and they guys was demo­ing it– I couldn’t get over how it totally destroyed the lime rind!

3. I def­i­nitely agree about our lit­tle secret behav­iors that don’t come out liv­ing with other peo­ple. When my bf isn’t stay­ing at my house, I cook what­ever I want to. I actu­ally plan for weeks to cook some­thing if I know he’s going to be gone!

Hahaha–I totally remem­ber (and love!) that episode :-)

Instead of ice, you should try freez­ing the grapes! Yum!

5. Megan says:

That sounds like a divine week­end! :D And I also remem­ber that episode (and totally empathiz­ing with Carrie!)

6. vegtasticvoyage says:

My go-to is brus­sels sprouts when the Mr. is away. I eat every­thing he hates or is aller­gic to. Mush­rooms, tree nuts, the world is mine!

And you’re so the devil when it comes to the Vita­Mix. I can’t do it until my trusty 13-year-old blender dies…but I’m think­ing about ways to sab­o­tage it and that’s not very nice. But grapes, a lime, and some bub­bly stuff + 30 sec­onds = bub­bly beauty? Come on!

7. Ohh add some bub­bly to any­thing and now we are talkin!

8. Nora says:

I love din­ners like that! Some­times I’ll just have a huge plate of sweet potato fries for dinner :)

Your slush spritzer sounds amaz­ing! What a great idea! I have a feel­ing that not so long from now, we may be hear­ing about them as much (or even more) as we are hear­ing about smooth­ies right now. And that will be thanks to you! :)

10. Tofu Ted says:

All drinks with fruit are betty with a lit­tle bub­bles. As for the bach­e­lor din­ner… some­times the sim­plest things are the best. Looked great!

11. Vegetation says:

I’ve been with my hus­band for so long I don’t even remem­ber what I did before we lived together :P That being said, I’ve had the house to myself all week and can totally under­stand the sud­den plate of sin­gle veg for din­ner (or toast even! No one is here to judge :P) and pj’s till lunch (errr or all day!).

That drink looks incred­i­bly delicious!