Before we get into this post, you need to go watch this video from the Vita-Mix peo­ple. Click on “nut but­ter” under the lit­tle TV screen. Just the first few sec­onds or so, but you have to hear how this chef/actor pro­nounces the words “nut but­ters”. I freak­ing love it, it just cracks me up. I can’t come close to repli­cat­ing it, but Jim and I cer­tainly try to.

I don’t make nut but­ters in my Vita-Mix, or haven’t yet at least, because I’m very happy with the nut but­ters we buy at Trader Joe’s, so why mess with some­thing good? When talk­ing about nat­ural nut but­ters, the biggest com­plaint I hear is that they are hard to mix and get stiff in the fridge. I’ve found a sim­ple solu­tion so you’re not tempted to buy some­thing icky like Jif.

First off, when buy­ing a nut but­ter, make sure it only has, at most, 3 ingre­di­ents. Nuts, salt (if salted) and pos­si­bly oil if it’s a nut that doesn’t have a lot of oil in it, but see­ing oil listed should be rare. Before you use it, and then refrig­er­ate it, the nut but­ter needs to get mixed very well because the oil and solid sep­a­rate after the nut but­ter is man­u­fac­tured. If it’s not mixed, it will turn into a hard mess when refrig­er­ated. Jim used to curse up a storm when mix­ing nut but­ters because the oil would slosh around, over the lip of the jar and onto his hands and the counter and often times when we’d get to the bot­tom of the jar there would be some hard, stiff but­ter that hadn’t got­ten oil incor­po­rated into it. Enter this sim­ple solution:

100_4615

When you get home from the store, flip the jar upside down on your counter for an hour or two. This gives the oil some time to fight it out with grav­ity and it will begin to seep into the nut but­ter mass and incor­po­rate itself. When you later open it to mix it up, you’ll be in for smooth stirring.

100_4616

Look at that, beau­ti­ful, creamy and smooth! Now no one has any excuse for eat­ing chem­i­cal spreads aka “reg­u­lar” nut but­ters. Nature knows better!

*to be fair, the nut but­ter pic­tured is sun­flower seed but­ter and it has another ingre­di­ent I didn’t list above– sugar. This is because sun­flower seeds are bit­ter, so a small bit of sweet­ener is added, but that is unusual.

17 Responses to nut butter making you nuts?

1. Vegyogini says:

I’m with you…Trader Joe’s nut but­ters are the only ones I buy! It bugs me so much that all those com­mer­cial brands are loaded w/ chem­i­cals and sugar.

As for the sep­a­rat­ing, well, I admit that I like the non-oily hard, bottom-of-the-jar stuff, but that’s because I don’t ever eat nut but­ter sand­wiches. I usu­ally only grab a spoon­ful if I need a pick-me-up. I bought a nat­ural nut but­ter stir­rer, though, and it works really nicely. Thanks for your tip; I’ll give it a try!

2. erica says:

I’ve been want­ing to try the peanut but­ter mixer by Witmer’s no-mess mixer. Then I real­ize my cashew but­ter doesn’t have a seri­ous prob­lem with oil seperation.

You know, I have always read how hard it is to make nut but­ters in the Vita-Mix (hard to get it mov­ing etc.), but I recently made some for the first time, and it was super easy! If you can find a good deal on nuts, you should give it a try :-)

4. jessy says:

ah ha ha! that is just too funny! thanks, Kris!

i don’t make my own nut but­ters either (actu­ally, i don’t own a vita­mix, but some day.…**sigh**) — but i love me some trader joes nut but­ters too! i can’t believe i’d never thought to turn the jar over to let the oil get a move on. you’re bril­liant — and thanks for the tip! happy mofo’n!

5. That’s a Scouse accent for you.
    LOL!

6. Ricki says:

I’ve made my own nut but­ters for a while now, in the food proces­sor, not Vita­Mix (REALLY easy in the food proces­sor!). But occa­sion­ally if I run out or want some­thing quick, I keep a jar or two on hand, and always store them upside-down until I open them! Wish we had Trader Joe’s here…

I lived a long time before Trader Joe’s (the B.T.J. era) and it’s a time and place I hope I never have to return to. My heart goes out to you, Ricki.

7. Sandy says:

Do you store it upside down in your fridge as well?

8. warrior two says:

So you’ve added the nuts…what else are you going to add?“
    “That’s it,” she says, imply­ing that he’s stu­pid and wasn’t pay­ing attention. :))

9. DJ Karma says:

Turn the thing upside down…Duh! Why didn’t I ever think of that? Thanks for the tip– am sick of get­ting oil all over the counters! :D

10. Nora says:

Don’t think of it as a smoothie…think of it as a cold blended oatmeal/grain kinda deal, but instead of oats, cereal! Some­one even com­mented on my post that they heat their’s up and eat it like oatmeal!

11. Mo says:

Omigosh! This is absolutely amaz­ing. Why didn’t you tell me this before?! Hee hee.

12. tahinitoo says:

Best tip ever Kris! I always make a mas­sive mess when stir­ring new jars of nut but­ters and this will be the solu­tion! Yay!

13. Vegetation says:

I need to try this! I just sloshed half a jar of oil (well not really, but it felt like it!) over my hands when stir­ring my jar of almond but­ter 2 days ago. It really does put me off buy­ing the nat­ural one’s. Not any more!