I love my rice cooker. It’s one of my best friends in the kitchen, which is ironic because I used to think they were stupid.

100_4634

This is a very cheap rice cooker. Soon I will be upgrad­ing to a very nice one, but we bought this one as a tester a lit­tle over a year ago to see if we would actu­ally use it. See, I always thought they were for lazy peo­ple. I thought, “Hell, I’m a rice cooker.” Pot + lid + rice + water + me =rice cooker. Ah, but I was fool­ish. Rice cook­ers, yes, can be for lazy peo­ple, but they are also for per­fec­tion­ists. Being the Virgo that I am, I can read­ily appre­ci­ate the con­sis­tent per­fec­tion this lit­tle unit turns out with every batch. Fluffy, soft, never burnt on the bot­tom or soggy like my pots always were. And you don’t have to play the guess­ing game, pok­ing around with a fork, not try­ing to dis­turb the sur­face while won­der­ing, “Is it done? A few more minutes?”

And oddly enough, I have only made rice in it once. We usu­ally make quinoa, some­times mil­let and I’ve made wild rice a cou­ple of times. I’m hope to exper­i­ment more with it this win­ter. But for now, my love affair with quinoa continues.

My favorite way to make din­ner is to get home, pop some quinoa into the cooker, do yoga and then when I get into the kitchen din­ner is halfway done. Excellent…

100_4631

This bowl was inspired by the BBQ and Brus­sels bowl at Bye and Bye. I made BBQ chick­peas, gar­lic roasted brus­sel sprouts atop a layer of per­fectly fluffy quinoa, topped with a sprin­kle of Parma. This is the kind of food that makes me deliri­ously happy it’s autumn.

As a side­note, sup­pose you’re inter­ested in buy­ing my book (and I swear that I’m not try­ing to turn this blog into an infomer­cial for my book. the shame­less self-promo is wind­ing down, I promise) but you also need some vegan jerky, makeup or marsh­mal­lows… head on over to Cos­mos Vegan Shoppe, which is a one-stop shop for all the vegan good­ies you can cram in your mouth. Yum…

19 Responses to ode to my rice cooker

1. mollyjade says:

I love my rice cooker, too! It plays twin­kle twin­kle lit­tle star when it starts up. And it’s one less thing I have to worry about when I’m mak­ing the other parts of the meal.

2. Andrea says:

I used to think rice cook­ers were stu­pid, too, until I had rice cooked in one. And bread mak­ers, too. I know bet­ter now!

Hahaha–that is what I always say too–”*I* am a rice cooker!” It isn’t because I think they are for lazy peo­ple, though…I am just fru­gal (okay, cheap) :-)

4. That bowl of food looks scrummy. Never used a rice maker before but I am remark­ably awe­some at cook­ing rice for some rea­son. Not to blow my own trum­pet or any­thing but it is a nat­ural skill I have.
    Now a bread maker is a totally dif­fer­ent ball game…
    Happy Mofo’ing!

5. Mo says:

I miss hav­ing a rice­cooker. Life was so easy then. That food looks del­ish, by the way!

6. Ben says:

I love my rice cooker…well my old rice cooker.
    I think I bought mine at tar­get for about $20 new.
    It was won­der­ful. One cup rice, two cups water, click, Rice!
    Even if I for­got I was cook­ing, 3–5 hours later the rice was goodish

Must buy one next time I’m at target.….

P.s. I also am incred­i­bly fru­gal and the thought of not over­cook­ing uncount­able batches of rice is worth $20 for me

7. Vaala says:

I used to have a rice cooker but when I broke up with my ex he got to keep it…tragic!

Any­way, your badges arrived in the mail today…they are SO cute :)

Yay! Glad they got there in one piece. I was hop­ing the bub­ble wrap would do the trick, I don’t think the post office likes me send­ing them

BBQ chick­peas? That sounds deli­cious! I’ve got to try it next time I make chickpeas.

9. karla says:

oh, rice cook­ers! me and the room­mate finally got one after yearn­ing for one for months. i’ve not been mak­ing money so i couldn’t see spend­ing money on one and…not sure why she didn’t feel like she could…but any­ways! we got one for free from a friend and we’re so pysched. we haven’t used it yet b/c it didn’t come with direc­tions and there’s not really any modes on it. just off and on. i totally SUCK at mak­ing rice so i can’t wait!

10. Vegetation says:

I hate my rice cooker. I assumed they all sucked, but maybe it’s just mine. Now I’m won­der­ing if I should upgrade!

11. tahinitoo says:

I want that bowl for lunch. It is per­fect is every way!

12. Veggienetters says:

I just found your bloggy and I love it! How in the world do you make quinoa in a rice­cooker? I’ve had a bag sit­ting the pantry for a cou­ple months, star­ing at me. I want to try it but I’m scared I won’t cook it right and it will be nassy and then I won’t eat it again. I have a Aroma, too, but it is sil­ver and only has a White and Brown rice set­ting. Help!? PS– Kit­tehs rock. 8 of them adopted us… do you need any? :)

Hey there! Sorry for tak­ing for­ever to respond.

Quinoa has the same ratio as rice when cook­ing it, so 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water. I use a lit­tle less water, though, to make sure it’s fluffy. I use more like 1 cup water to 1 7/8 cup water. Just rince your quinoa before using it and you should be good to go! It’s so delicious!