Hey there!

Sum­mer has us in a full-on whirl­wind of hus­tle and bus­tle. I can’t believe it’s August! I remem­ber ago­niz­ing over child­hood and ado­les­cence, just will­ing it to hurry up. Now I’m drag­ging my heels to make the wheels turn a lit­tle more slowly.

Any­way, I wanted to give you a lit­tle update on the cook­book. If you pre-ordered from Ama­zon you may have received an email that there is a delay. Our hope (mean­ing the pub­lisher and myself) was the to have the book out in the month of August, so August 1 was more of an arbi­trary date. There are so many vari­ables in pub­lish­ing that can throw off when a book is actu­ally ready that pin­point­ing an exact release date can be a bit dan­ger­ous. I have a fel­low author whose book came out 3 months after expected!

I’m happy to say that the book is fin­ish­ing up at the print­ers right this very moment and will be (hope­fully!) going to the dis­tri­b­u­tion ware­house at the end of the week. So the book should be out and in the world this month! Very exciting.

As a pre­ven­ta­tive mea­sure, since it will take a lit­tle longer for me to get my own boxes of whole­sale books, I am plan­ning on hold­ing an awe­some book release party in Sep­tem­ber. The nitty-gritty is get­ting worked out as we speak, but let’s just say it involves the cook­book, yummy sam­ples and free vegan tat­toos (for reals!). Details to come.

For those who are inter­ested, I am work­ing on a detailed tuto­r­ial on how to make jam. I swear, no more jam after that. :) In the mean­time, here is one of my favorite cookie recipes from the book. Oh, I can eat an obscene amount of these things and they are a per­fect cookie any time of year. Light and cit­rusy for hot sum­mer days and a bright spot in the drea­ri­ness of winter.

100_4066

Lemon Drop Cook­ies
Prep time: 15 minutes

When I first went to col­lege, I basi­cally lived off of pow­der sugar-coated lemon wafer cook­ies that were made by a major cookie man­u­fac­turer. Nat­u­rally, because I liked them, they stopped mak­ing them about a year after I got hooked and I spent nearly a decade feel­ing sorry for myself before real­iz­ing that I didn’t care about their silly cook­ies– I could make my own! These lit­tle cook­ies are crisp and tart, with the pow­dered sugar tak­ing the edge off and adding a sweet cool­ness to each bite.

1/2 cup mar­garine, soft­ened
1/2 cup short­en­ing, room temp
3/4 cup sugar
juice from 1 lemon
2 teas. lemon zest
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups pow­dered sugar for coating

Pre­heat oven to 375. Pre­pare a cookie sheet with a sheet of parch­ment paper.

In a large bowl, cream together the mar­garine and short­en­ing until smooth. Mix sugar to com­bine, then incor­po­rate lemon juice and zest. Add flour in small batches until well incorporated.

Spoon tea­spoon sized balls of dough onto cookie sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake for 8– 10 min­utes until edges are set and are slightly browned. If bak­ing both sheets at the same time, switch shelves halfway through. Remove from oven and let cool com­pletely before coat­ing each cookie in pow­dered sugar. To coat, us a fork to sup­port each cookie and roll cookie on each side to coat in sugar. Store cooled cook­ies in an air-tight con­tainer at room temperature.

Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies

*For best results, zest the lemon before juic­ing. You can use the small holes on a grater for a fine zest.

16 Responses to cookbook update and cookies for noming

1. jumbleberryjam says:

Bless your animal-free sweet & sour tooth! I LURV me a good lemon tea cookie. THANK YOU! And, if your awe­some, amaz­ing par­tay is before Sep­tem­ber 22nd, I’ll drive my foodie self right down to enjoy the fes­tiv­i­ties! Con­grats on get­ting that cook­book printed!

2. itstartedwithafish says:

so hap­py­hap­py­happy that your book is almost there !!!!

so saaaaaaaad that I can’t come around and get a vegan tat­too :(

so LUSTING for these cookies !!!

Is there any­thing you rec­om­mend that I can sub­sti­tute for shortening?

You can just sub it with more mar­garine. The short­en­ing makes them more crisp, so yours will prob­a­bly be a lit­tle softer.

FYI, Crisco is vegan and it no longer has transfats.

3. Such pretty cook­ies! I love lemon.

You can post about jam as much as you want–I love jam! You know what would make these cook­ies even bet­ter? JAM! Haha :-)

5. Vaala says:

Man, I so wish it was sum­mer here! I’m jeal­ous! It’s a beau­ti­fully fine day out­side today but bit­terly cold. Although win­ter does mean lots of deli­cious hot soups!

By the way, I am look­ing for­ward to your cook­book com­ing out. I love the Damn Tasty Vegan Bak­ing Guide…it’s get­ting a bit tat­tered from all its use!

Lemon Drop Cook­ies… this sounds like a treat I would really enjoy! Thanks for shar­ing the recipe.
    I’m also look­ing for­ward to the jam-making tuto­r­ial. It will be a great con­fi­dence booster, and may get me to try my hand at some home­made jammy delights!

7. Celine says:

I wish I could come to the book release party! alas…

8. Kelly says:

Whoa — I’d totally for­got­ten about those lemon cook­ies until you men­tioned them! My mom used to buy them quite often when I was a kid… I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Oh, I loved them! They were basi­cally like lemon Nilla Wafers cov­ered in pow­dered sugar. I’m embar­rassed to admit that they greatly con­tributed to my fresh­man 15. Those, Pasta Roni and generic fruit-flavored soda. You can tell from the menu, that was my first time liv­ing on my own.

9. Emily says:

I just made a batch of these today.

The lemons I used were pretty small and thin skinned (had to zest 3 to come any­where near 2 tea­spoons of zest!), so I ended up using the juice of 2. I’d be inter­ested to know how much juice was in your lemon? (prefer­ably in spoons or millilitres?)

The ones I’ve tried so far have been really tasty, even with­out the sugar coat­ing! Thank you for this recipe :)

Hi Emily!

I’d say that my typ­i­cal yield is about 3–4 table­spoons. While the juice is impor­tant, the lemon fla­vor really comes from the zest, so the more the better!

10. Emily says:

Thanks for the reply! I’ve just fin­ished (I still have crumbs round my mouth!) eat­ing the sec­ond batch I made of these, and I’m going to try an orange ver­sion next.

Thank you again for the deli­cious recipe!

11. Gilly says:

These are stun­ning. I made them and I never got round to putting the icing(powdered) sugar on them because we ate them all while they were still warm!! My hus­band and I are try­ing out veganism…unfortunately I’ve put on about 4lbs in the last few weeks due to your book I can’t stop bak­ing cakes, breads and cook­ies from it and they are SO good!!

12. Emily says:

I don’t know if you’re still read­ing these com­ments but I just wanted to let you know that I made these cook­ies for the offi­cial open­ing cer­e­mony of Leices­ter Cen­tral Library and the City Mayor sent his com­pli­ments to the chef because of them!