Well, here she is: Episode 3 of the nom! nom! nom! cook­ing show. Enjoy this very clas­sic and sum­mery recipe.

[vid­dler id-9d70cae1 h-370 w-437]

Vichys­soise
This soup’s ori­gins are debated, but it’s creamy and addic­tive fla­vor is unde­ni­ably good. You can always use onions in place of the shallot.

1 tbsp. mar­garine
3 medium leeks, washed and finely chopped
1 shal­lot, minced
2 medium sized pota­toes, peeled and chopped
1/2 teas. salt
4 cups veg­gie broth
1 cup soy milk or creamer (other non-dairy will work, but may sep­a­rate)
black pep­per and spring onions to garnish

In a stock­pot, melt mar­garine over medium heat. Add leeks and shal­lot and sautee until translu­cent. Add pota­toes and veg­gie broth and mix to com­bine. Sim­mer with lid on until pota­toes are ten­der and break apart eas­ily with a fork. Add soy milk and stir.

You can puree this soup in sev­eral dif­fer­ent ways. Reserv­ing much of the liq­uid, you can puree it in your food proces­sor and then whisk in the liq­uid. You can also use a blender or an immer­sion blender directly in the pot. Trans­fer blended soup into a heat resis­tant bowl, cover, and put in fridge to chill. Serve soup with fresh cracked pep­per and spring onions to garnish.

IMG_0742

The won­der­ful, poetic and tal­ented Mr. Peter Mul­vey gave us per­mis­sion to use his lovely song “Lila Blue” in this video. He’s truly one of the best songwriter’s I’ve ever heard and he puts on a hell of show (easy on the eyes, too). Check him out if you like what you heard. Lis­ten to his acoustic ver­sion of “Shirt” off of his lat­est album to have your mind blown.

Okay, and now for my request. I have two, actu­ally. For this show, I want to have more inter­ac­tion between us. So, first off, if you have a recipe, bak­ing or cook­ing, that you would like to see veg­a­nized on the show, please send it to me at nomblog {at} gmail {dot} com. If you have a pic­ture of it to include, that would be excel­lent. If it seems promis­ing, I’ll give it a go.

My sec­ond request is ques­tions. I’d like to incor­po­rate a Q&A seg­ment. Have a ques­tion about vegan bak­ing? Cook­ing? Food chem­istry or his­tory? The mean­ing of life? I could bore you for hours on end about lin­guis­tics or music. ;) Let me know what’s on your mind, email you ques­tions to the above address and I will sort through them and select ques­tions for upcom­ing shows.

Don’t for­get about the jam give­away! Be sure to com­ment by Fri­day at 2 pm PST to be entered!

0 Responses to episode 3 and a request

1. Sandy says:

What a cool video!!! I love the St. John’s Bridge part.

Can’t wait to make this soup. You make it so easy!

Would love to see you make vegan ice cream/floats/creamy pop­si­cles. Also, vegan cheese?

XO

2. DJ Karma says:

Great work on that video! Love the music too!

Yum! Now I’m hop­ing my CSA farmer will have some leeks for us… but I’m afraid it will only come later in the sum­mer. Any­ways, I’ll remem­ber your Vichys­soise when the time comes!

4. Samantha says:

I love your videos! Good choice of music on this one — thanks for shar­ing the info on the artist. Can’t wait to try the recipe. Thanks for all you do — very entertaining!

5. Karen in Mpls. says:

Just made your Vichys­soise and it was deli­cious. Picked up some leeks at the farm­ers mar­ket this morn­ing. It looked so good that we couldn’t wait for the chill and ate it hot. Have lots left over for eat­ing it chilled too. Yum. It was so good. Thank you for this awe­some recipe!

Hi Karen!

I’m glad you like it! That is too funny. Full dis­clo­sure– the soup that I gar­nish at the end is warm… we couldn’t wait either! It tastes even bet­ter the next day after it sits.

6. Chelsea says:

Kris, this is your best cook­ing show yet! Will try the Vichys­soise next time I find some good leeks!

7. Karen in Mpls. says:

I was look­ing for that song on iTunes. Can you tell me the name of it?

It’s called “Lila Blue” and it’s on his album “The Knuck­le­ball Suite”. “Kitchen Radio” and “Notes from Else­where” are my two favorite albums from him. He’s going to be com­ing through Mpls on tour this fall, I can’t rec­om­mend see­ing him live enough, he’s a great showman.

8. Karen in Mpls. says:

Thanks, Kris! I am going to check out his tour schedule!

9. Chelsea says:

Kris, I am going to start some can­ning in 2 weeks. I haven’t done it since I was a kid (seem­ingly end­less hours of it on Gram­mas farm!). Would love a how-to video or post! Is it pos­si­ble to can pesto, or would it be gross and not worth it???

I’ve seen pesto in jars at the store, but I don’t think it can be canned because of the low acid level. Pesto does freeze really well though. And keep an eye out for the answer to your ques­tion later this week!