I’ve been mar­ried for 6.5 years, but it’s taken less than a week for me to fall in love with another. I know, I know, a fickle heart is noth­ing to boast about… but wait until you see us together.

IMG_0844

Meet Edgar. Our love has been a long time in the mak­ing. Lengthy vis­its online to the Vita-Mix web­site, drool­ing over recipes, bab­bling on to friends and fam­ily about how “it’s not just a blender” while they pre­tend to care. Over the course of our mar­riage I have ruined 3 blenders and 2 food proces­sors, and I knew it was time to step up. So on my monthly trip to Costco for organic quinoa and evap­o­rated cane juice, when I came across a man demo­ing the Vita-Mix, I stopped dead in my tracks. I sam­pled some deli­cious juice made from red grapes, a slice of lime (with rind!) and ice cubes. I gazed at the Vita-Mix with love and long­ing. When the man con­fided in me that you don’t need the dry blade con­tainer to grind flour, thus sav­ing me about $150 from what I had orig­i­nally planned to pay, cou­pled with the bar­gain price, plus not hav­ing to pay with ship­ping… I was sold. And so Edgar came to join us.

So far we have made juice, soup, smooth­ies and ice cream. Every­thing has turned out beau­ti­fully and I am in com­plete awe of the ease of use with this machine, espe­cially clean up! It seems like some too-good-to-be-true dimen­sion, where I can deli­ciously eat the whole fruit or veg­etable, whip up food in a mat­ter of sec­onds (lit­er­ally), and clean up just as quickly.

For exam­ple, as part of our din­ner tonight we had smoothies.

IMG_0842

A banana, some soy yogurt, soy milk, frozen mixed berries, frozen straw­ber­ries, baby spinach and green pow­der from Trader Joe’s. With the help of the tam­per, in under 1 minute it went from the above pic­ture to this:

IMG_0850

IMG_0852

Ah, heaven. So, for you green smoothie folks, did you ease your­self in to them or did you just take the plunge? I’m a lit­tle scared of drink­ing all of those greens, raw.

The other part of our din­ner tonight was my take on one of my favorite entrees at Blos­som­ing Lotus.

IMG_0838

Kale, sauteed with olive oil and gar­lic, under some Soy Curls that I hydrated with veg­gie broth, coated in a mix­ture of nutri­tional yeast, dried basil and sea salt and then lightly pan fried. On the side, sauteed aspara­gus. I can never come close to the sim­ple com­plex­ity that is Blos­som­ing Lotus, but it tasted pretty darn good.

More adven­ture with Edgar to come!

0 Responses to an affair to remember

1. Jojo says:

I am so unbel­ev­ably jeal­ous of your vita mix. I’m onto my sec­ond blender and it just can­not blend any­thing frozen — rub­bish! When I come to the US I may just have to pick one up.

2. Celine says:

you have no shame, woman!
    I love that you named it Edgar.

3. Sarah says:

wow those vita­mixes really are amaz­ing.
    if you think about it.….the amount of replaced blenders and all the work you go through with cheaper ones…if you just bought a vita­mix from the begin­ning you’d prob­a­bly save money.…or at least qual­ity :)
    …now if only i had had that money RIGHT NOW.….

haha

hope it treats you awe­some :)

4. Aimee says:

I live prac­ti­cally next door to the com­pany. I should have a vita-mix! I’m get­ting one for Christ­mas this year!

5. Andrea says:

I’ve had a secret crush on Vita­mix for a long time and am slightly jeal­ous of your new rela­tion­ship. Have lots of fun together!

I have smooth­ies a lot but not green ones. I haven’t been able to get myself to drink some­thing green, though I LOVE green veg­gies and eat them all the time both cooked and raw.

Am I the only vegan in the world who hasn’t tried soy curls? I’ve never seen them. What are they?

Soy curls are dehy­drated strips of soy, some­what like chicken strips. They are very ver­sa­tile, I usu­ally hydrate them in veg­gie broth and then pro­ceed with what­ever I’m putting them in. They are pro­duced in Ore­gon, but they are avail­able from many online stores like Food Fight.

6. I want a Vita­mix too! I just got a pretty good blender the other day, but I’m sure its not as good as that Vita­mix though.
    Your smoothie looks so think and creamy!

7. Paulina says:

I saw the Vita-Mix at Costco too! I even remem­ber telling my mom to get it for me, but unfor­tu­nately she didn’t :(

8. Meghan says:

I’ve just recently got­ten into green smooth­ies, and I love them. So far I’ve used spinach and kale and hon­estly, you can’t even taste it. And yours will be even bet­ter b/c the Vita­Mix will com­pletely break down the leaves! I have to use a food proces­sor so once in a while I get a big­ger piece of leaf and it’s a bit off-putting. My sug­ges­tion, though, is that you add a lit­tle hand­ful of blue­ber­ries to your green smoothie, no mat­ter what, or else the color will def­i­nitely make you go “no thanks.” Give it a try though!

9. Sandy says:

I need a Costco mem­ber­ship! That device also makes babies-did you know that?!

Cya soon!

10. Jodye says:

I am so so jeal­ous of your vita mix! How lucky you are to have come across that great deal! Your din­ner looks great, too. I’ve never used soy curls, but I do have a bag of them lying around that’s just beg­ging to be used in a dish quite like yours!

11. rachael says:

Con­grat­u­la­tions to you and Edgar! I heart my Vita­mix. (I named him Gilliam.) But what is this talk of not need­ing the dry blade to grind flour?

p.s. your glasses rock!

I am in love with my Vita-Mix too! Isn’t it the best?! My fam­ily thought I was crazy at first, but since I got one about 5 years ago, both my sis­ter and my mother have got­ten newer, bet­ter mod­els! Ha!

For green smoothies–you really can’t taste the greens! Go ahead and pile them in :o) In my opin­ion, spinach is the mildest tast­ing, so keep going with that. I have used kale, col­lards, and chard, and all taste a lit­tle “greener” than the spinach, but not in a bad way at all. Give it a try! Good luck!

13. Tamara says:

Don’t fear the greens! They can be yummy. When I started out, I did use slightly smaller amounts and worked my way up. Chard and col­lards have too much of an earthy taste for me (in a smoothie at least), but I use kale and spinach a lot. I have some recipes on my smoothie blog — http://www.planetsmoothie.blogspot.com

14. Leigh says:

Color me jeal­ous. :)

15. speedvegan says:

Con­grat­u­la­tions !!

16. tahinitoo says:

You know I am right there with you Kris, on the love for Vita Mix­ers! Per­haps ours ought to meet… This post made me happy!

17. Veronica says:

I. Need. A. Vita-Mix.

Unfor­tu­nately, I have no excuse to do away with any of the three blend­ing devices I already own and am run­ning out of — or, should say, ran out years ago of — counter space. Oh, and hav­ing the down payment!

I’m glad you love it! I’m sure I’ll get one some­day, and it’s good to know peo­ple are so happy with them.

If I could adopt Soy Curls like so many of Brangelina’s chil­dren, I would.

18. Vaala says:

Hehehe, this post made me laugh :)

19. Love your blog! It’s so cool to live in a city with soooo many tal­ented veg­ans! I’m about to buy a vita mix for my bak­ery and one for our new store­front on Alberta open­ing in a month or so and if you don’t mind me ask­ing, how much did you pay for your vita mix via Costco? I’m just curi­ous if the price is con­sid­er­ably bet­ter than buy­ing one directly through them but I went to Costco and the next time they will have them avail­able is in Van­cou­ver on the 21st of July! Thanks for the great work you’re doing!
    Gar­rett Jones
    Back to Eden Bakery

20. […] kale, spinach, Very Green pow­der, rasp­ber­ries and almond milk. Yum! I’m really lov­ing hav­ing Edgar around. We’ve got­ten into the habit of hav­ing smaller din­ners and giant smooth­ies– perfect […]

Oh my, this isn’t help­ing me one bit! Yeah, I’m no stranger to the lenghty vis­its to the Vita­mix web­site… But you got me curi­ous about not need­ing the dry blade con­tainer to grind flour. I’m slowly catch­ing up in blog read­ing after com­ing back from vaca­tion, so I’ll see if you talked about it in another post, but if not, I’d appre­ci­ate read­ing more about that if ever you give it a try. Thanks!