Wel­come to Episode 2 of the nom! nom! nom! blog cook­ing show! In this episode Jim and I pay homage to our home­lands and make our favorite starch-filled treat– pierogi! Here’s a lit­tle gram­mat­i­cal side note: the word pierogi is the plural, the sin­gu­lar is actu­ally pierog.

[vid­dler id-f355483d h-370 w-437]

Potato-filled pierogi is about as clas­sic as it gets.

pierogi 2

Dried plum-filled pierogi may sound strange, but they are tangy, sweet and com­plex, a fam­ily favorite.

For this recipe, one of the fill­ings fills the whole batch of dough, so if you want to make both you will need to dou­ble the dough recipe. If you make both, also be sure to keep tabs on which one is which, you don’t want to sautee your sweet pierogi with onions!

Yields: 30 pierogi

1 tbsp. ground flaxseed
2 tbsp. water
2 cups flour
1/2 teas. salt
2 tbsp. oil
1 cup water

In a small bowl, com­bine flax with 2 tbsp of water. Whisk and let sit to thicken. In a large bowl, com­bine flour and salt. Make a well in the flour and add the oil, water and flax mix­ture. Mix until well com­bined, knead­ing on a clean sur­face until a nice dough comes together.

Roll out dough to 1/16 inch thick­ness and cut into 3 inch cir­cles using a bis­cuit cut­ter or the mouth of a tall drink­ing glass. You will need to reknead the scraps and roll them out to cut out all 30 pieces of dough. Fill with pre­pared fill­ing, scoop­ing 1–2 table­spoons of fill­ing onto one side of the dough cir­cles. Fold over dough and pinch to seal. Sub­merge sealed pierogi in boil­ing water for 2–3 min­utes, until they float, and remove.

If freez­ing, place in a sin­gle layer on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze for sev­eral hours until frozen. Remove and put frozen pierogi in a freezer bag. Good for up to 6 months. If cook­ing after boil­ing, sautee pierogi in melted mar­garine (and onions, if savory pierogi) until lightly browned and crisp on the bot­tom. Flip over and let the tops cook lightly. Serve savory pierogi with sour cream and spring onions or chives. Sprin­kle sweet pierogi with pow­dered sugar.

Potato fill­ing: (fills 30 pierogi)
2 large pota­toes– Red or Yukons (not too starchy, but not too creamy)
1 tbsp. light miso (optional)
3–4 tbsp. mar­garine
1/4 cup roasted gar­lic or 3 cloves raw gar­lic, minced
2 tbsp. minced raw onion
milk as needed

Peel, chop and boil pota­toes in water until soft when pierced with a fork. Drain water and add miso, mar­garine, gar­lic and onion. Mash ingre­di­ents together with a potato masher, adding milk as needed, until mix­ture is mixed through. Pota­toes should be well blended, but not too creamy, they need to able to hold up in the dough. Let cool before using.

Dried Plum Fill­ing: (fills 30 pierogi)
2 cups dried plums (prunes)- can also use dried apri­cots
1 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 cin­na­mon stick

Chop dried plums into small pieces. Com­bine in a saucepan with water, sugar and lemon juice until well com­bined. Add cin­na­mon stick and cook over medium heat, stir­ring often, until water is almost com­pletely absorbed, about 20 min­utes. Remove cin­na­mon stick and trans­fer mix­ture to a small bowl. Let cool before using.

0 Responses to episode 2: pierogi!

OMG–you are a genius! I can­not tell you how much I have been miss­ing those potato-cheese pierogi my mom used to make! And I think a lit­tle nutri­tional yeast in your potato fill­ing will do the trick :o) Of course, I knew they could be veg­a­nized, but I was always so intim­i­dated by the recipes I saw out there…it seems like a lot of work! And it kind of is, but I can see that it IS do-able! Thank you!

Wow, that’s a much more excited response than I expected to get. :) They are totally do-able, I’ve been mak­ing them vegan for years. I grew up on them and would be crushed if I couldn’t eat them again! Some nooch would be good for cheezi­ness or if you use a lit­tle miso like I do in the video, it gives it that cheezy some­thin’ somethin’.

2. DJ Karma says:

I’ve never tried the sweet kind– sounds intriguing!

3. Vegetation says:

Ooo I’ve never made Pierogi before! They look sensational!

4. Tara says:

Wow, these look incred­i­ble! I must try them very soon!

5. Andrea says:

The last time I came upon a pierogi recipe on a blog I was com­pelled to make them. I can feel the com­pul­sion ris­ing again. Never had prune ones, but right now the potato is call­ing my name …

6. Azzahar says:

Hi there:)

I see pol­ish kitchen is get­ting pop­u­lar on vegan sites:) I have few remarks about your post: first pierogi is plural, yes (I was so tired with “piero­gies” and cor­rect­ing it), but sin­gu­lar is not pirog, it’s pieróg. “ó” stands for dou­ble o, so you pro­nounce it like “pya­roog” and plural “pyaro­gee” 😀 (looks like a corean dish…)

Then, the recipe is very good, but as ded­i­cated pol­ish cook I am I NEVER heard of dried prunes used as a fill­ing! We use fresh plums, yes, some­times frozen, if some­body wants them really bad in win­ter­time, but never dried. I’m not say­ing it’s not good, actu­ally I’d try it that way — but it’s not a tra­di­tional way.

The same with pota­toes — pota­toes are never used as a fill­ing with­out com­pan­ion, usu­ally of white cot­tage cheese and caramelized onion(it’s called “russ­ian” then). We, veg­ans, just sub it with well blended nat­ural tofu — works just fine and keeps the struc­ture of the orig­i­nal dish. Again, it’s not bad idea to put only pota­toes, but this is not how wee make it.

Greet­ings form Poz­nań, Poland (and sorry for the errors)

Hi Azza­har! Wow, it’s great to see veg­ans in Poland. Google Trans­late does a pretty good job, so I was just look­ing at your blog and it looks delicious!

Thank you for the gram­mat­i­cal note on the sin­gu­lar for pierogi. More than being true to authen­tic Pol­ish cook­ing, these recipes are based off of my grandmother’s. Maybe the prunes were an adap­ta­tion she started using when she came to Amer­ica, I’m not sure, that’s just the way she always made them and that’s how I grew up eat­ing them, so I went with it. There are a lot of prune recipes online, too.

My grand­mother always used cot­tage cheese in her pierogi, which is why I use miso, it gives a slightly cheezy fla­vor, but I can totally see using tofu to mim­ick the texture.

I appre­ci­ate you stop­ping by! Cheers! ~Kris

It is the dough that has always intim­i­dated me…rolling it out and shap­ing it and fill­ing them…I don’t know–it seemed hard! But you made it look easy in the video and I can’t wait to try it :o)

They make piergi molds, like ravi­oli molds, that you can get at kitchen sup­ply stores. I actu­ally kind of find them a pain, but the pierogi end up very uni­form and beau­ti­ful looking.

8. shellyfish says:

Aaaakkk! I’m so excited for this — per­ogi are one of my very favourite things!!! I don’t have time to watch right now (booooo) but I’ve book­marked this. This is def­i­nitely going to work it’s way into my rota­tion — I don’t know why I’ve never thought to make them– I grew up eat­ing them!

9. Sandy says:

OMG amaz­ing!! Thanks for the video! So cool!

10. trina says:

Oh, yum. Thank you.

11. Thanks so much for your post! I haven’t had pierogi since I was a kid. (I used to live in a pre­dom­i­nantly Pol­ish neigh­bor­hood) I can’t wait to try these, espe­cially with the plum fill­ing. Very exciting!!

Awe­some! Thanks for mak­ing it seem doable to some­one who didn’t have the oppor­tu­nity to grow up watch­ing a grandma make them… It will be fun to try mak­ing pierogi now that I’ve seen you do it, and that I feel con­fi­dent I can do it too!

13. nidia says:

YUM! Love your shows, blog(s) and damn tasty book! can’t wait for your new book. Thank you.