Wel­come to Episode 2 of the nom! nom! nom! blog cook­ing show! In this episode Jim and I pay homage to our home­lands and make our favorite starch-filled treat– pierogi! Here’s a lit­tle gram­mat­i­cal side note: the word pierogi is the plural, the sin­gu­lar is actu­ally pierog.

[vid­dler id-f355483d h-370 w-437]

pierogi1

Potato-filled pierogi is about as clas­sic as it gets.

pierogi 2

Dried plum-filled pierogi may sound strange, but they are tangy, sweet and com­plex, a fam­ily favorite.

For this recipe, one of the fill­ings fills the whole batch of dough, so if you want to make both you will need to dou­ble the dough recipe. If you make both, also be sure to keep tabs on which one is which, you don’t want to sautee your sweet pierogi with onions!

Pierogi
Yields: 30 pierogi

Dough:
1 tbsp. ground flaxseed
2 tbsp. water
2 cups flour
1/2 teas. salt
2 tbsp. oil
1 cup water

In a small bowl, com­bine flax with 2 tbsp of water. Whisk and let sit to thicken. In a large bowl, com­bine flour and salt. Make a well in the flour and add the oil, water and flax mix­ture. Mix until well com­bined, knead­ing on a clean sur­face until a nice dough comes together.

Roll out dough to 1/16 inch thick­ness and cut into 3 inch cir­cles using a bis­cuit cut­ter or the mouth of a tall drink­ing glass. You will need to reknead the scraps and roll them out to cut out all 30 pieces of dough. Fill with pre­pared fill­ing, scoop­ing 1–2 table­spoons of fill­ing onto one side of the dough cir­cles. Fold over dough and pinch to seal. Sub­merge sealed pierogi in boil­ing water for 2–3 min­utes, until they float, and remove.

If freez­ing, place in a sin­gle layer on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze for sev­eral hours until frozen. Remove and put frozen pierogi in a freezer bag. Good for up to 6 months. If cook­ing after boil­ing, sautee pierogi in melted mar­garine (and onions, if savory pierogi) until lightly browned and crisp on the bot­tom. Flip over and let the tops cook lightly. Serve savory pierogi with sour cream and spring onions or chives. Sprin­kle sweet pierogi with pow­dered sugar.

Potato fill­ing: (fills 30 pierogi)
2 large pota­toes– Red or Yukons (not too starchy, but not too creamy)
1 tbsp. light miso (optional)
3–4 tbsp. mar­garine
1/4 cup roasted gar­lic or 3 cloves raw gar­lic, minced
2 tbsp. minced raw onion
milk as needed

Peel, chop and boil pota­toes in water until soft when pierced with a fork. Drain water and add miso, mar­garine, gar­lic and onion. Mash ingre­di­ents together with a potato masher, adding milk as needed, until mix­ture is mixed through. Pota­toes should be well blended, but not too creamy, they need to able to hold up in the dough. Let cool before using.

Dried Plum Fill­ing: (fills 30 pierogi)
2 cups dried plums (prunes)- can also use dried apri­cots
1 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 cin­na­mon stick

Chop dried plums into small pieces. Com­bine in a saucepan with water, sugar and lemon juice until well com­bined. Add cin­na­mon stick and cook over medium heat, stir­ring often, until water is almost com­pletely absorbed, about 20 min­utes. Remove cin­na­mon stick and trans­fer mix­ture to a small bowl. Let cool before using.

0 Responses to episode 2: pierogi!

OMG–you are a genius! I can­not tell you how much I have been miss­ing those potato-cheese pierogi my mom used to make! And I think a lit­tle nutri­tional yeast in your potato fill­ing will do the trick :o) Of course, I knew they could be veg­a­nized, but I was always so intim­i­dated by the recipes I saw out there…it seems like a lot of work! And it kind of is, but I can see that it IS do-able! Thank you!

Wow, that’s a much more excited response than I expected to get. :) They are totally do-able, I’ve been mak­ing them vegan for years. I grew up on them and would be crushed if I couldn’t eat them again! Some nooch would be good for cheezi­ness or if you use a lit­tle miso like I do in the video, it gives it that cheezy some­thin’ somethin’.

2. DJ Karma says:

I’ve never tried the sweet kind– sounds intriguing!

3. Vegetation says:

Ooo I’ve never made Pierogi before! They look sensational!

4. Tara says:

Wow, these look incred­i­ble! I must try them very soon!

5. Andrea says:

The last time I came upon a pierogi recipe on a blog I was com­pelled to make them. I can feel the com­pul­sion ris­ing again. Never had prune ones, but right now the potato is call­ing my name …

6. Azzahar says:

Hi there:)

I see pol­ish kitchen is get­ting pop­u­lar on vegan sites:) I have few remarks about your post: first pierogi is plural, yes (I was so tired with “piero­gies” and cor­rect­ing it), but sin­gu­lar is not pirog, it’s pieróg. “ó” stands for dou­ble o, so you pro­nounce it like “pya­roog” and plural “pyaro­gee” :D (looks like a corean dish…)

Then, the recipe is very good, but as ded­i­cated pol­ish cook I am I NEVER heard of dried prunes used as a fill­ing! We use fresh plums, yes, some­times frozen, if some­body wants them really bad in win­ter­time, but never dried. I’m not say­ing it’s not good, actu­ally I’d try it that way — but it’s not a tra­di­tional way.

The same with pota­toes — pota­toes are never used as a fill­ing with­out com­pan­ion, usu­ally of white cot­tage cheese and caramelized onion(it’s called “russ­ian” then). We, veg­ans, just sub it with well blended nat­ural tofu — works just fine and keeps the struc­ture of the orig­i­nal dish. Again, it’s not bad idea to put only pota­toes, but this is not how wee make it.

Greet­ings form Poz­nań, Poland (and sorry for the errors)

Hi Azza­har! Wow, it’s great to see veg­ans in Poland. Google Trans­late does a pretty good job, so I was just look­ing at your blog and it looks delicious!

Thank you for the gram­mat­i­cal note on the sin­gu­lar for pierogi. More than being true to authen­tic Pol­ish cook­ing, these recipes are based off of my grandmother’s. Maybe the prunes were an adap­ta­tion she started using when she came to Amer­ica, I’m not sure, that’s just the way she always made them and that’s how I grew up eat­ing them, so I went with it. There are a lot of prune recipes online, too.

My grand­mother always used cot­tage cheese in her pierogi, which is why I use miso, it gives a slightly cheezy fla­vor, but I can totally see using tofu to mim­ick the texture.

I appre­ci­ate you stop­ping by! Cheers! ~Kris

Kris

It is the dough that has always intim­i­dated me…rolling it out and shap­ing it and fill­ing them…I don’t know–it seemed hard! But you made it look easy in the video and I can’t wait to try it :o)

They make piergi molds, like ravi­oli molds, that you can get at kitchen sup­ply stores. I actu­ally kind of find them a pain, but the pierogi end up very uni­form and beau­ti­ful looking.

8. shellyfish says:

Aaaakkk! I’m so excited for this — per­ogi are one of my very favourite things!!! I don’t have time to watch right now (booooo) but I’ve book­marked this. This is def­i­nitely going to work it’s way into my rota­tion — I don’t know why I’ve never thought to make them– I grew up eat­ing them!

9. Sandy says:

OMG amaz­ing!! Thanks for the video! So cool!

10. trina says:

Oh, yum. Thank you.

11. Thanks so much for your post! I haven’t had pierogi since I was a kid. (I used to live in a pre­dom­i­nantly Pol­ish neigh­bor­hood) I can’t wait to try these, espe­cially with the plum fill­ing. Very exciting!!

Awe­some! Thanks for mak­ing it seem doable to some­one who didn’t have the oppor­tu­nity to grow up watch­ing a grandma make them… It will be fun to try mak­ing pierogi now that I’ve seen you do it, and that I feel con­fi­dent I can do it too!

13. nidia says:

YUM! Love your shows, blog(s) and damn tasty book! can’t wait for your new book. Thank you.