jam

It was the best of jams, it was the worst of jams… but more on that later.

THANK YOU to every­one for your sup­port, com­ments, emails, etc. regard­ing the show. We are very excited about it! Jim is upstairs edit­ing episode two as we speak and we have many more tricks up our sleeves. Please excuse my first-show jit­ters, I promise to loosen up as we go along. :)

This past week­end I con­tin­ued with my straw­berry rhubarb love affair and I made jam. I haven’t made jam in a cou­ple of years now and I was a bit too excited. Being the overly ambi­tious cook that I am, I set out to make a giant batch. Jam for all sea­sons! Jam for all rea­sons! Our pantry would over­flow with jam! I would be hand­ing out jars to peo­ple in the street, so encum­bered with jam we would be.

4 lbs. of straw­ber­ries… check. 2 lbs. of rhubarb… check. Sugar… check. Lemons… check. Dis­as­ter… check.

My first mis­take was for­get­ting how awful the mar­malade I made sev­eral years ago was from the one pre­serves book that I have. Does any­one have any good rec­om­men­da­tions for books on pre­serves and can­ning? Hav­ing destroyed those taste buds and blocked that expe­ri­ence from mem­ory, I reopened that book in hopes of mak­ing a delight­ful straw­berry rhubarb jam. This recipe relied on the pectin in some lemon rind to help thicken it. After cook­ing it well over the time instructed, I pan­icked and sent Jim to the store to buy some com­mer­cial pectin. By the time he returned, the fla­vor of lemon had destroyed any trace of straw­berry or rhubarb and the soupy mix­ture was over­cooked beyond repair. I mourned the loss of my beloved down the garbage disposal.

How­ever, I refused to be beaten! The next day we went out and restocked our arse­nal. I spent a good 4 hours scour­ing the inter­net, read­ing every recipe and forum dis­cus­sion on straw­berry rhubarb jam I could find. I read some pretty appalling things (mak­ing jam in the microwave?!) as well as some nau­se­at­ing recipes (10 cups of sugar with 4 lbs. of straw­ber­ries? 10 cups?!) but slowly col­lected use­ful infor­ma­tion. That evening, I entered the kitchen with a fresh state of mind and my iPod, deter­mined yet serene.

real scone

Come 1 a.m. I had eight jars full of thick, lus­cious jam. Sealed and cool­ing, I called it a night. The next morn­ing I whipped up some lemon scones, using this recipe as a guide­line. I pretty much stuck to it, but I soured my almond milk with 2 tea­spoons of lemon juice and I increased the lemon zest to the zest from a whole lemon. They were tangy with­out being too sour and were per­fectly accented by the jam.

IMG_0666

We enjoyed them with a nice par­fait of fresh straw­ber­ries, vanilla soy yogurt and a sprin­kle of hemp seeds, my favorite break­fast treat.

Now I need to reign it in. We’re only on Wednes­day and we’ve already pol­ished off 1 2/3 jars! We won’t make it to fall at this rate! Looks like I’ll have to make more, darn…

Okay, I promise this is the last talk of straw­ber­ries and rhubarb for awhile.

0 Responses to a tale of two jammies

1. Nora says:

nice recov­ery :)

2. Andrea says:

Those scones look beau­ti­ful! My com­puter is so old it won’t let me watch videos but I’ll try to watch on a dif­fer­ent com­puter soon.

What!? The per­fect straw­berry rhubarb jam and no recipe?! If you wouldn’t mind shar­ing, I would love to make some jam! I love jam so much…I swear I could eat it by the spoon­ful (and some­times do!) :o)

Aw, you’re right, I need to post it! I will post it in my next post, promise! :) In Min­nesota, you are inun­dated with rhubarb so you def­i­nitely need to make this!

4. DJ Karma says:

Sounds like it was well worth the trouble!

5. Vegetation says:

Mmm your jam looks won­der­ful! I’m glad it turned out so well the sec­ond time!

And I loved the show too from your last post (late in com­ment­ing as usual :P). It was nice to put a face to the name :D And yum! What a dish to make!

6. Diann says:

I was going to rec­om­mend a book I have enti­tled “Small Batch Can­ning” until I read through your post — ha!

Lemony scones with straw­berry jam are so spring­time. I can under­stand why you’ve eaten so many. They look incred­i­bly tasty.

7. Kristina says:

My favorite jam recipe is super sim­ple. It’s listed on the list of recipes that comes with your pectin. It’s basi­cally “straw­berry freezer jam”. And let me tell you how absolutely amaz­ing and deli­cious it is. My great-aunt and I have been mak­ing this together my entire life, and we always have enough for both our freez­ers for the entire year, and some left­over for friends and fam­ily. So I’m super spoiled now, and jam out of a jar from the gro­cers… eww.

8. shellyfish says:

I made tons of jam for the first time last sum­mer and it was such fun — and we did the same thing with the straw­berry jam– just ate it way too fast. I have a thing for lemon scones…i have a recipe on my blog for them, but yours look just great!
    I’m still dream­ing of that boston cream pie…

Thank you! I am going to the Min­neapo­lis farm­ers mar­ket tomor­row, so I am plan­ning on get­ting rhubarb there…I am so geek­ily excited about it!!