This week­end was our nephew’s first birth­day. S. is the first baby on either side of the fam­ily, his father’s side or his mother’s side, so need­less to say, it’s a big deal. I’m proud to say that our nephew is truly, the cutest baby in the world and I have the proof to back this claim.

Exhibit A:

img_05443

Exhibit B, play­ing bad­minton with Uncle Jim:

img_0553

Clearly cute­ness runs in the fam­ily! And he’s insanely smart, no bias. :) He oinks when he sees a pig, pants when he sees a dog and makes a mock-crying noise when he sees pic­tures of other babies. It’s pretty freak­ing cute.

S.‘s bed­room is dec­o­rated in a Yel­low Sub­ma­rine theme, from the imported hand-woven sub­ma­rine rug to a Yel­low Sub­ma­rine clock and painted walls and fur­ni­ture to match. Being The Bea­t­les lover that I am, I knew I had to do some­thing big for his first birthday.

The real Yel­low Submarine:

yellow

S.‘s birth­day submarine:

yellow-sub

yelsub2

A choco­late cake with but­ter­cream frost­ing, and some marzi­pan detail­ing. The rounds above the sub­ma­rine rep­re­sent The Sea of Holes, topped with marzi­pan faces of The Bea­t­les plus a lit­tle baby face to rep­re­sent S. It was a pretty big cake, being two 13x9 sheet cakes together, but only one layer, we were able to put a good dent in it over the week­end. S. won’t remem­ber this cake, but there are plenty more cakes to come.

We all live in a yel­low sub­ma­rine, a yel­low sub­ma­rine, a yel­low submarine…

0 Responses to in the town, where i was born…

1. jumbleberryjam says:

Ok, that’s the freakin’ coolest cake I’ve ever seen! You rock the under­wa­ter world! And, yep! That nephew is the cuti­est!! ;-) Lucky boy.

2. Daryl says:

That is ridicu­lously awe­some! Excel­lent work — wish I could taste it. Can I hire you to make a Bea­t­les rooftop con­cert cake for my birth­day? Billy Pre­ston has to be in it as well. Yes, I’ll pay extra.

3. Sanja says:

Your nephew IS cute!

And your cake is awe­some, well done!

4. jessy says:

hooray for the cutest lit­tle wee one and the most glo­ri­ously amaz­ingly fan­tas­ti­cal cake EVER! the bea­t­les are my absolute favorite band — and your cakes are beyond awe­some! wow, wow, WOW!

5. Andrea says:

I won’t quib­ble with your claims since you have such strong sup­port­ing evi­dence. And the cake is a beat­leific mas­ter­piece. Well done!

6. Diann says:

Kris, that cake is out­stand­ing! And yes, that is one adorable lit­tle boy.

7. Vegetation says:

Awww your nephew is too cute! And I love the cake (plus yum.…chocolate!). Fan­tas­tic decorating!

8. Sandy says:

Wow! awe­some cake!

9. Vaala says:

He sure is cute! And that cake? Can I have my first birth­day again and get a cake like that?

10. Vegyogini says:

What a rockin’ cake for an adorable baby!

11. Jodye says:

What an awe­some cake, lucky baby! The clos­est I’ve come to any­thing like this is a yel­low sub­ma­rine puz­zle, which is still cool, but I’m will­ing to bet not any­where near as delicious.

12. Mandee says:

Awe­some look­ing cake! I want a Bea­t­les themed cake for my next b’day :)