So, a cou­ple of East­ers ago, I glazed a ham tube from Food Fight. The com­pany that made said ham tube went out of busi­ness and there is a new tube in town. I was so excited to glaze it up for Easter… and it was just sad, really.

img_0437

First off, I should have been weary, what with it being a giant rec­tan­gle instead of the tra­di­tional tube. It was stringy, soft and spongy and had a off taste nat­u­rally. Thank­fully our impromptu mush­room gravy, mashed pota­toes, aspara­gus, din­ner rolls and pick­led beets saved the day and made up for the ham tube that wasn’t.

The hol­i­days always make me nos­tal­gic, even the ones we don’t really cel­e­brate. Easter always makes me think­ing of grow­ing up with my grand­par­ents. In honor of my Pappy, I made some fruit gel cock­tail with some straw­berry gel mix I picked up at Food Fight recently.

img_0442

I’ve always won­dered how foods would really taste if we didn’t have an emo­tional con­nec­tion to them. I love the way fruit cock­tail grapes taste, with their skins so soft and etched. Would I really like them under other circumstances?

A ran­dom din­ner from ear­lier this week:

img_0407

Whole wheat pasta with a ran­domly assem­bled creamy car­rot and gin­ger sauce with chick­peas and some gar­lic brus­sels. If you can get over the fact that the sauce looks a bit like it was, um, recy­cled it was actu­ally quite good.

I added some more pic­tures from the new book to my flickr account, so be sure to check out the nomminess!

More food soon!

0 Responses to ham tube is dead to me

1. shellyfish says:

I hope you had a happy hol­i­day. I must admit, the words “ham tube” scare me, but that’s just me :)
    I was really miss­ing my grand­fa­ther yes­ter­day (he passed away 13 years ago) — he always made the cab­bage salad for Easter din­ner.
    Here’s to Grandfathers!

2. jumbleberryjam says:

Sorry about the rec­tan­gu­lar let­down! The cook­book pho­tos are awe­some! Is 6:45am too early for kahlua cake?? ;-)

3. vegtasticvoyage says:

Have you tried the hama­likes at Fubonn? I’ve never had them (never liked ham), but I remem­ber see­ing roundy ham log things in the freezer.

I have tried one of the ham tubes at Fubonn. Only some of them are vegan. It was okay, but not know­ing the qual­ity of the ingre­di­ents kind of freak me out.

I think that sauce looks deli­cious and “cheesy”–yum!

5. Andrea says:

Thanks for the laugh about the “recy­cled” sauce. Some things just don’t look their best in pho­tos I guess.

I know what you mean about those canned fruit cock­tail grapes. There’s some­thing com­fort­ing about that weird tex­ture that must be by asso­ci­a­tion. And those soft lit­tle pear cubes. Now I’m get­ting all sentimental…

6. toxicangie says:

your pic­tures look good :) although some­how the image I’m drum­ming up for “ham­tube” is a lit­tle funny and strange… is/was it good?

I’m a fan of those lit­tle cher­rys in the cock­tails.. mmm yum.

7. Sarah says:

See, I dis­agree, I love ham tubes in any shape/size! Even the rec­tan­gu­lar ham tube makes a mean Monte Cristo!
    The Easter meal looks yummy!!!

8. Bethany says:

that sucks. there is a place I used to go to that had 2 dif­fer­ent vegan hammy logs. we loved one, the other was just ok. they got rid of the one I loved and when I went there recently, none of their hammy logs were vegan. sad times until this week­end when I went to Squid & Ink and they serve hammy from a log.

9. Vaala says:

Just the name ‘ham tube’ sounds ter­ri­bly weird and unap­peal­ing. But every­thing else on your easter plate looks delicious.