So… of all of the New Year’s res­o­lu­tions that I made, which one am I fail­ing at? Believe it or not, it’s the choco­late one! I can’t believe it, who would have thought that I would fail at that? It’s chocolate!

It’s prob­a­bly to my advan­tage that Jim and I main­tain­ing a pretty good diet and try­ing to main­tain our exer­cise rou­tine. Inspired by one of our favorite restau­rants, Proper Eats, we have renewed our pas­sion for whole foods cooking.

img_0349

Quinoa and lentil pilaf with gar­lic veg­eta­bles. We were going for health and sim­plic­ity here and the quinoa and lentils were fine, but a lit­tle bland. I didn’t really plan ahead much in terms of mak­ing it inter­est­ing. Thank­fully, the fresh and gar­licky veg­gies swooped in to save us from a taste bud coma.

Draw­ing directly from Proper Eats menu, Jim decided that he was going to make din­ner. Bestill my heart, I said Jim mak­ing din­ner. As in real, honest-to-goodness food, not cereal. And he did a won­der­ful job, if I do say so myself.

img_0352

Noo­dles slathered in a lightly spicy peanut sauce and some lime gin­ger tofu, with broc­coli. Jim took the task of tofu mar­i­na­tion very seri­ously, press­ing it for over an hour the night before (not unat­tended, but actively press­ing it) and then whip­ping together a mari­nade con­sist­ing of lime juice, fresh grated gin­ger, a splash of toasted sesame oil, and soy sauce and mari­nad­ing it overnight. It was deli­cious fuel after our workout.

Linus, how­ever, was not impressed.

linus1

Look at the dis­gust on that cat’s face! I swear, he is the most judg­men­tal cat I’ve ever known. Thank­fully, he’s a cud­dle bug, so it all evens out.

0 Responses to chocolate fail

1. Nora says:

yum­mmm!! get­ting back to whole foods after stints of junk food veg­an­ism can feel really nice!

Gar­lic makes every­thing bet­ter :o)

Con­grats on stick­ing with (most of) your res­o­lu­tions! That is awe­some! And your cat is totally adorable, by the way…

3. Vegetation says:

Haha, love Linus’ judg­men­tal look! Char­lotte is highly judg­men­tal also and is for­ever giv­ing us scathing looks (par­tic­u­larly if we wish to bother her from sleep for a quick pat).

Mmmm love the tofu dish! And wow! What an awe­some hus­band to stand and press tofu for an entire hour!

4. DJ Karma says:

Gotta love a man who can cook! And what a bad-ass cat!!

5. Sandy says:

super yummy! i bought a cast iron skil­let. do you have one? if so, do you like?

xo xo xo

linus is such a cutie

6. shellyfish says:

Linus is so sweet! And hey, you can’t be per­fect all the time — it’s a goal, not an absolute!

7. Jim’s tofu dish looks right up my alley! So good!

That Linus, he’s adorable, but a tough critic.