Hello! I’ve been so busy that my cam­era has just been accu­mu­lat­ing pic­tures for the past few weeks. Last week I offi­cially fin­ished the book man­u­script (yay!!!!!!!) and got that sent off and last week was tech­ni­cally spring break, so I took some time off to just be wire­less. No inter­net, email, noth­ing, just relax­ing. Quite nice, I’d say.

But now, we’re here to talk about food, not my bor­ing life. Bor­ing life = good, no drama. Bor­ing food = bad. This food, thank­fully, isn’t boring.

What do you get when you are too lazy to put together a real meal?

img_0309

Soy nuggets with BBQ sauce, gar­licky broc­col­ini and rice cooker quinoa. I can­not pro­fess my love for broc­col­ini enough, it is sim­ply my favorite veg­etable and I could eat it every day. And some­day, when I finally win the lot­tery, I will.

I’m not a cold cereal eater and have been bored with my morn­ing oat­meal and soy yogurt, so I decided to plan ahead and make some mini quiches. They worked out per­fectly, reheated well and totally hit the spot.

img_03151

In a food proces­sor, I tossed in two pack­ages of extra firm silken tofu, 1/4 cup nutri­tional yeast, 1 tbsp corn­starch about 3–4 tbsp of almond milk, a lit­tle oregano and some salt. I mixed it until it was smooth then poured it into a bowl and added 3 tbsp of chopped, rehy­drated sun­dried toma­toes and 6 stalks of aspara­gus, chopped (but I reserved the tops). I spread the mix­ture into 6 lightly greased muf­fin cups and topped each one with an aspara­gus tip. Baked at 400 for 1 hour and viola! Break­fast is served.

I’m still try­ing to be good with food and work­ing out… but it’s not always easy. When you have a sweet tooth like mine, it’s hard to fight those post-dinner crav­ings for dessert. My lat­est treat feels really indul­gent, but actu­ally isn’t too bad. Nutri­tious even!

img_0345

I have been obsessed with Peanut But­ter and Co’s Dark Choco­late Dream Peanut But­ter. It’s peanut but­ter mixed with a lit­tle sugar, cocoa and cocoa but­ter for an intox­i­cat­ing treat that will ruin reg­u­lar peanut but­ter for you for­ever. I’ve been enjoy­ing it on a lightly salted rice cake with a smear of Morello cherry spread on top… it’s seri­ously heaven in your mouth.

Oh, I added my flickr account to the side­bar. I added a hand­ful of pic­tures of some of the new recipes, but I have a bunch more that I will be adding over the next few days, so keep an eye out for new noms!

0 Responses to playing catch up

1. Nora says:

Those quiches are so cute (wait is the plural of quiche still quiche? like deer or moose? lol that would sound better).

Anyways…I also ADORE dark choco­late dreams PB. I also like the cin­na­mon raisin a lot, and have yet to try White Choc Won­der­ful and Mighty Maple, but can’t wait to get my hands on them!
    I’m not sure I would say it ruined reg PB for me though…that will always have its place!

2. Celine says:

adding you on flickr!

3. DJ Karma says:

Choco­late IN the peanut but­ter?! Brilliant!

4. Of course, I looked at the pic before read­ing your post and cheered for the broc­col­ini! It’s my favorite, too.….now we both just have to win the lot­tery. Great look­ing make-shift dinner.

Con­grat­u­la­tions on fin­ish­ing the book!

5. jumbleberryjam says:

Awe­some quiches! And what a won­der­ful, naughty prod­uct! Thanks for the heads up on that one. Glad you had a great spring break!

6. Shelby says:

Those quiches are GORGEOUS!

7. Sanja says:

Con­grats on fin­ish­ing your book!

Con­grats on get­ting the cook­book fin­ished! Yay! That must feel SO good :o)

Those mini quiches look amazing–I love the sun-dried tomato and aspara­gus combo!

9. Vegetation says:

Haha, don’t tell me it’ll ruin reg­u­lar peanut but­ter for me!!! Reg­u­lar peanut but­ter is all I can get my hands on :P

I love what you’re doing with it. Must try that with my prized pos­ses­sion :D The kids keep ask­ing me if I’ve opened it yet, but it’s sit­ting on the bench so I can gaze lov­ingly at it for a cou­ple of days first ;)

Love the mini quiches! I wish I could eat tofu quiche!!

And mmmm always happy to drool over broccolini!

10. Veronica says:

The quiches look fan­tas­tic! And OH MY LORD I am absolutely OBSESSED with PB Co’s Dark Choco­late peanut but­ter. I am a peanut but­ter fanatic and snob, so I’ve fallen pretty hard for it ;) I enjoy their White Choco­late kind, too!

• krispycheks says:

We just recently tried the white choco­late one, too and it is insanely good. They have a maple one that I think I’ll pick up some­time soon. But the dark choco­late has a spe­cial place in my heart. I used to love Nutella and this so kicks Nutella’s butt! It’s so good inside crepes.

11. Diann says:

I love broc­col­ini too, but not quite as much as good ol’ broc­coli. Rice cakes and pb is one of my favorite snacks!

12. Ellen says:

The baby quiches look divine. Def­i­nitely going to try this one out in the next few days. Will be great break­fast food for Passover! Thanks!

Ellen A.