Some of the best things in life come in bowls. Ice cream, cereal, pud­ding, all good things indeed. But whole­some meals can come in bowls, too.

Like pesto pasta:

family-258

Sure, you don’t have to eat pasta in a bowl… but I think it’s tastes bet­ter this way. :) This pasta is whole wheat penne from, where else, Trader Joe’s. It’s coated with my tofu ricotta with 1 1/2 cups of basil blended in and just enough water to get it to the right con­sis­tency. With some toasted pine nuts on top for crunch, muy bueno. Pesto is besto!

In Min­nesota, wild rice rules the win­ter months. And if you’ve ever lived in Min­nesota, you’ve prob­a­bly heard of Byerly’s famous Wild Rice Soup. Byerly’s is the ritzy gro­cery store in in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Our wed­ding cake was actu­ally from there, but that was in our pre­gan (pre-vegan) days, so if you hap­pen upon Byerly’s you won’t find it abound with vegan treats. Quite the oppo­site, actu­ally. Any­how, their Wild Rice Soup is renowned and was a per­sonal vice when we lived in Min­nesota so using my trusty Byerly’s cook­book, I made my own vegan adap­ta­tion to relive those glory days in a cruelty-free way.

Wild Rice Soup

Wild Rice Soup

Byerly’s Veg-Adapted Wild Rice Soup

5 tbsp. mar­garine
1/2 small onion, minced
1/3 cup flour
6–7 cups veg­gie stock
2 cups cooked wild rice
1/2 teas. salt
1 cup soy creamer or other milk
2 medium car­rots, finely shred­ded
2 tbsp white wine (optional)
1 cup vegan ham, cubed (optional)
sliced almonds for garnish

In a stock­pot on medium low heat, melt mar­garine and sautee onions until translu­cent. Whisk in flour to make a paste and then whisk in 1 cup of the veg­gie stock to incor­po­rate. Add the rest of the veg­gie stock and increase heat to medium-high, stir­ring con­stantly until it comes to a boil. Lower to medium low and add wild rice and salt. Let sim­mer for 10 min­utes. Add creamer, car­rots, and white wine and sim­mer for 5 min­utes. Add vegan ham, if using, and let soup sim­mer for 3 more min­utes. Serve soup with almonds on top for a garnish.

Makes about 6–8 serv­ings, depend­ing on size.

After refrig­er­at­ing, like other hearty soups, this soup can become very thick and stew-like, so you may need to add some water to thin it out. Or you can do what Jim did and spoon it onto a slice of bread and declare that you are eat­ing an all inclu­sive soup-sandwich. :)

0 Responses to goodness in a bowl

1. Jodie says:

That soup looks delicious!

2. jumbleberryjam says:

A per­fect end of win­ter soup! Thanks for the yum-o recipe :-)

3. steph says:

aaaah pesto and pasta is the best. BEST.

4. Lindsey says:

Just today I wanted wild rice soup. Thanks for the recipe.

5. Shelby says:

That rice soup is PERFECT!

6. Beau­ti­ful bowls of good­ness! :)

7. Vegetation says:

Mmmm pesto is one of my favourites!

And your soup looks won­der­ful! I love meals in bowls :D

8. the rachface says:

Yay pesto! I am sad to say that I have never actu­ally had any kind of pesto. But we are putting in a basil crop this year in the gar­den and I am deter­mined to try it! And want to try this soup as well. Awesome!

9. JENNA says:

What a beau­ti­fully creamy look­ing pesto. Its one of my favorite ways to eat pasta.

OMG–I used to *love* Byerly’s wild rice soup in my pre­gan days too! SO good! I used to get so excited every time I got the chance to have it…yum. I am excited to try your recipe now!

11. Andrea says:

This soup looks very appeal­ing and I’ve got some left­over home­made sei­tan in the fridge that could stand in for the ham. Maybe I’ll try this tonight. It looks per­fect for a freez­ing Wis­con­sin evening.

12. Diann says:

Your soup sounds so deli­cious! I ususally keep a box of wild rice in the pantry, but never seem to remem­ber to use it. And I love your green green pesto pasta!

13. Jodye says:

The wild rice soup looks so invit­ing and rich! Plus, I think a bowl is my absolute favorite ves­sel to eat out of!

14. […] peo­ple there are crazy, but the deals can be worth it. I had been fan­ta­siz­ing about ways to eat the pesto ricotta that didn’t involve noo­dles. Yes, tofu ricotta is what I fan­ta­size about. Don’t […]