Patri­o­tism is sup­port­ing your coun­try all the time, and your gov­ern­ment when it deserves it.” –Mark Twain

Mr. Samuel Clemens cer­tainly nailed it on the head with that quote. Isn’t this his­toric occa­sion quite the mix­ture of joy and relief? We have some hard times ahead of us, most cer­tainly, but to have some­one like Barack Obama tak­ing the reigns after hav­ing a pres­i­dent in office for 8 years who was barely lit­er­ate and trig­ger happy… what can I say?

Okay, pol­i­tics aside, we’re here to dis­cuss food.

This week­end we went up to Seat­tle for my mother-in-law’s birth­day. I am still get­ting used to blog­ging again, so I don’t have much to show for the trip. First, we ate at Araya’s and I for­got the cam­era and then we ate at Cafe Flora and I brought the cam­era but for­got to use it. Oops. Picture’s aside, you must, must, must eat break­fast at Cafe Flora if you are ever in Seat­tle. Their break­fast scram­bles are heavenly.

I did remem­ber to take pic­tures of birth­day treats. This is the car­rot cake from Damn Tasty:

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheeze Frosting

Car­rot Cake with Cream Cheeze Frosting

This is the new Triple Berry Pie with a light glaze. Pic’s not so good because the light­ing was low in the din­ing room. Your taste­buds can day­dream to fill in the blanks.

Triple Berry Pie

Triple Berry Pie

Now, back in the swing of things at home, we’re back to our weekly quick meal plans. One of our favorite quick meals is a Papa Murphy’s pizza with our own home­made tofu ricotta cheese. Papa Murphy’s crust and red sauce is vegan. We get the deluxe veg­e­tar­ian, cheese­less, because it has bet­ter top­pings and sub the white sauce for red sauce. When we get home, I toss on the ricotta and pop it into the oven.

Papa Murphy's with Tofu Ricotta

My ricotta recipe is my own vari­a­tion from the Real Food Daily Cook­book. It’s very dif­fer­ent, so at this point I sup­pose it’s more like RFD was the inspi­ra­tion for it. I go through phases of being so addicted to this ricotta I’m mak­ing it sev­eral times a week and it finds it’s way onto any­thing and every­thing. It’s so deli­cious and ver­sa­tile and it only takes min­utes to pre­pare. Stuffed shells, lasagna, creamy pasta sauce, you name it! It’s very omni-friendly, too. My youngest brother, who only eats chicken and french fries, had no idea he wasn’t eat­ing “real lasagna”.

Tofu Ricotta

1 con­tainer water-packed firm tofu (not silken)
1/3 cup light col­ored miso (I use white)
2 tbsp. tahini
2 tbsp. olive oil
2–3 cloves gar­lic
1/4 cup nutri­tional yeast
2 teas. dried basil
1/2 teas. salt
1/4 cup water.

Toss all ingre­di­ents into food proces­sor and blend until smooth. Add more water for a thin­ner con­sis­tency. Blend in 1 cup of fresh basil for a super creamy pesto sauce that is out-of-this-world.

Tomor­row we are hav­ing an inau­gu­ra­tion potluck at work and I’m bring­ing some cup­cakes. Some­thing old and some­thing new.

First off, the cup­cake ver­sion of the Black For­est Cake from DTV.

Black Forest Cupcakes from DTV

Black For­est Cup­cakes from DTV

I was too lazy to make my cherry top­ping in the book, so I just used a can of cherry pie filling.

Sec­ondly, my new Banana Split Cup­cakes for the new cook­book. I think these are best served slightly warmed with a lit­tle scoop of ice cream and some salted peanuts on top, but for sake of ease, I topped them with the Peanut But­ter Frost­ing recipe from DTV. You may remem­ber that this frost­ing recipe is paired with the Banana Cake recipe in DTV. Rest assured, while these two recipes have bananas in them, but are very different.

The Banana Republic- Banana Split Cupcakes

The Banana Repub­lic– Banana Split Cupcakes

The cake bat­ter for this recipe is the clos­est to a vegan white cake recipe that I have come. Punc­tu­ated with bits of pineap­ple, banana slices, choco­late, maraschino cher­ries and the salty burst of peanuts, this is one of my favorite new recipes. And don’t you love my patri­otic flair to cel­e­brate tomorrow?

I hope you all are able to sneak away to expe­ri­ence a bit of tomorrow’s fes­tiv­i­ties. CNN.com is stream­ing every­thing live. Regard­less of your pol­i­tics, this is a very his­toric occasion!

20 Responses to i’m an american girl

1. DJ Karma says:

Every­thing looks deli­cious– and very patriotic! :)

2. That’s a lot of yum­mi­ness in one post! Get­ting seri­ously hun­gry now.….…..

3. shellyfish says:

WOOOOOOOOT for Obama!!!! I know he’s not the mes­siah or any­thing, but I am THRILLED that he will be the new Amer­i­can pres­i­dent (in a few hours!).

You are killing me with all the yum­mies! I really want me some of those cuppers…I’m drooling!

4. jumbleberryjam says:

A blessed day, indeed! We’ll be nib­bling Veg*con Pump­kin Cran­berry scones and toast­ing our new pres­i­dent with mimosas :-)!

I’ve majorly been in the Cafe Flora mood.…lots of cook­ing from their cook­book (details at JJ). I just love their “foun­tain” din­ing room!

Cup­cakes look fab! Have an excel­lent day!

5. jessy says:

ooohhhh, i’ll have to check out the CNN site on my lunch break! Obama = my favorite! he makes me most happyfaced!

i hope your inau­gu­ra­tion potluck is most yummy! i am drool­ing over the cup­pers, espe­cially the banana split ones — mmmmmmm!

my sis­ter got us RFD for christ­mas, i really need to make some­thing from it. and thank you for the ricotta recipe. dan & i just had our first tofu ricotta expe­ri­ence last week when we made lasagna. i wasn’t too sure how he’d like it ’cause he abhored ricotta when he was an omni. turns out he loooooooove tofu ricotta. really loves it. we ate a whole pan of lasagna in one sit­ting — so i’m gonna have to give your tofu ricotta a try — and on pizza = bril­liant! yay!

might i also add that the berry pie & car­rot cake look absolutely awe­some! sugar rush!

6. the rachface says:

thanks for the ricotta recipe, can’t wait to try it. I have yet to find a veg ver­sion I like!

7. Anne says:

woah, had no idea one could get a vegan meal from papa murphy’s. that is such use­ful info for me!

8. Andrea says:

I was so excited by the inau­gu­ra­tion I wasn’t even hun­gry — until I saw this post!

Yay Obama! We all gath­ered around a co-workers com­puter and watched his speech live on CNN :o) It would have been even bet­ter to be at YOUR office enjoy­ing your deli­cious look­ing treats!

10. They do look gor­geous! I hope they taste as good as they look. The tofu ricotta is a keeper!

Check out my lat­est (Nov/08). It’s already get­ting great reviews:

Tried and True Recipes from a Caterer’s Kitchen—Secrets of Mak­ing Great Foods

Now avail­able on many inter­net book­sellers’ websites.

11. e168 says:

What is Damn Tasty? Where can I find the recipe for the car­rot cake?

• krispycheks says:

Damn Tasty is the vegan bak­ing cook­book that I self-published in 2007. This fall it is get­ting repub­lished by an actual pub­lisher with twice as many recipes. Unfor­tu­nately, I can no longer sell copies of the orig­i­nal book, so you’ll have to hold out for the new book this fall. You can read more about the old book at my old blog, http://www.squirrelsvegankitchen.com

12. Emmie says:

I really like the ricotta from vegan with a vengeance but I will def­i­nitely try your ricotta. You have tahini, that’s intriguing!

13. Amey says:

mmmm. i love tofu ricotta so much. also, i’m intrigued by the idea f glaze on pie!? this had never occured to me before, and it looks good!

14. Joe (Darth.Vegan) says:

Awe­some as always Kris! Is the Tofu Ricotta recipe the one you use to add to Papa Murphy’s take ‘n’ bake veg pizza? :-)

15. […] This pasta is whole wheat penne from, where else, Trader Joe’s. It’s coated with my tofu ricotta with 1 1/2 cups of basil blended in and just enough water to get it to the right con­sis­tency. With […]

16. […] was a “what do we have that requires min­i­mal effort?” meal. I knew I wanted to make my tofu ricotta because we hadn’t had it in awhile. I had to mod­ify a lit­tle because I had no tahini and no […]

17. Abby says:

Your ricotta recipe looks so good & easy; any idea if it would work as an ingre­di­ent in a “white” pizza (under mozz Daiya)? Yum!

18. […] (which weirdly looks slightly green in my mon­i­tor… I swear it was yummy…) that I got from the Nom!Nom!Nom! Blog. I love the way it baked and cracked, and it really added a rich cheesy pizza top­ping with­out having […]