I’m sorry to do this. I know that veg­ans in Port­land always talk about all of the food and restau­rants that we have here and I’m sure it gets old, but I just have to.

When I first started at my job there wasn’t much of any­thing in the imme­di­ate area for a quick lunch or snack. Well, there is Old Wives Tales, but you couldn’t pay me to eat there. A few months ago Los Gordi­tos, the lovely Mex­i­can taque­ria on 50th and Divi­sion in SE Port­land, opened up an all-vegan taque­ria about a 1/2 mile from my work! Hor­ray! Today I went with the friend to enjoy the good­ness of the truck.

Los Gorditos es muy bueno

Los Gordi­tos es muy bueno

This is the tostada, a toasted tor­tilla piled high with beans, rice, let­tuce, tomato, avo­cado, onion and cilantro.

Fajita Burrito

Fajita Bur­rito

The fajita bur­rito. The pic­ture does not do this jus­tice. Beans, rice, sauteed onions, green bell pep­pers, cilantro and soy curls. It looks like a lot of beige, I know, but it’s una fiesta en la boca. Every indi­vid­ual ingre­di­ent at Gordi­tos tastes intox­i­cat­ingly good, from the rice to the soy curls (what do they do to them? they are so good!). Com­bined together, it’s a force to be reck­oned with!

A co-worker and friend of mine often goes on walks dur­ing her lunch. A cou­ple of weeks ago she came back from a walk and said, “You never told me about that vegan bak­ery down the street.”

Uh, what vegan bakery?”

Black Sheep.”

My eyes about fell out of my head. Black Sheep is a local vegan bak­ery that whole­sales their goods around town. About 1 1/2– 2 years ago they opened up a lit­tle retail shop in SE that has a sand­wich of the day, bagels, cof­fee and baked goods. Well, unbe­knowst to me about 6 months ago they ren­o­vated some space in their actual kitchen space and opened up a larger loca­tion with more food. About 2 blocks from my work. And I didn’t know about it for 6 months.

Need­less to say, they now know me. I am in there more than I want to admit, espe­cially with all of the bak­ing I’ve been doing. I can’t help it, they are my favorite local bak­ery and at this loca­tion they also have choco­lates! They have bis­cuits and gravy, a build-you-own sand­wich option, sal­ads and soups, vegan vegan vegan! They do offer some omni options, as this loca­tion is in a busi­ness dis­trict, but I’d say it’s 90% vegan.

Black Sheep Cuppers

Black Sheep Cuppers

Black Sheep Chocolates

Black Sheep Chocolates

This friend that I had lunch with, Ximena, has her own tat­too shop in Port­land. She’s veg­e­tar­ian and all of the sup­plies that she uses are vegan. This week­end they are doing a spe­cial at their shop. Free tat­toos on Sat­ur­day– but it’s show­ing your Ore­gon pride, of course.

medsticker

If you want to have Ore­gon become a part of your anatomy, head down to Skele­ton Key Tat­too this Sat­ur­day, the 17th, from 11–8. First come, first serve!

In addi­tion to being a bad-ass ink-slinging artist, she cranks out some 1″ but­tons in her spare time.

Behold, the nom­nom­nom cat trio in 1″ form!

family-193

Sorry the pic’s not so great, it was hard to get them with the least amount of glare possible.

I am going to give away 5 sets of these nom­nom­nom but­tons to 5 ran­dom com­menters! So leave your com­ments between now and Fri­day night and I will ran­domly select 5 names. US res­i­dents only, sorry folks.

Happy nom­ing!

* A Day in the Life is one of the ulti­mate Bea­t­les songs and is eas­ily in my top 5 if I could only pick five. Just think­ing of it makes my heart happy. *sigh*

0 Responses to a day in the life…*

1. Vaala says:

Oooo, I’m SO glad you’re back (I’ve been away so I’ve only just found out)!! Your Damn Tasty Bak­ing book is so worn out from all the use it gets here. I’ve never had a cook­book with so many suc­cess­ful and deli­cious recipes before.

Those but­tons are totally gor­geous by the way :)

2. Vegetation says:

I’m out for the badges :( but mmmmm I wish I had a bak­ery like that near me! (My waist­line is glad that I don’t :P)

3. shellyfish says:

Well, no badges for me either — and they’re so cute! Drat! I am so crav­ing a faji­tas right now, and burritos!

4. Beth says:

Man, I NEED to visit Port­land. now.

Love,

Lost in LA

5. Meghan says:

Wow that looks awe­some!! I wish a vegan place would open up here in my town (NJ sub­urb only 30 mins from NYC)…I feel like there would def­i­nitely be a mar­ket for it. It seems like there a lot of health con­scious peo­ple in my town.

6. zeenes says:

I’m so glad you’re blog­ging again! and I SO want to move to Port­land, where they actu­ally have vegan food in restau­rants, and get out of this MN tun­dra …ugh…

7. jumbleberryjam says:

I’ll Nom! Nom! In fact, if you want to save the postage, I’ll drop by and pick them up on my way home in August. :-) Can’t wait for Sat­ur­day food-feasting in Port­land again!! Black Sheep here we come!!

8. Aimee says:

Oh, you Port­landers are so very lucky! At least you all seem to real­ize how lucky you are so the rest of us can still like you!!

9. Anne says:

how thank­ful i am to live in portland!

10. Veronica says:

Oooh, Port­land. How I love thee. Some­times it feels like the short end of the stick liv­ing in Olympia — right between Seat­tle and Port­land… so close all the time to vegan glut­tony, and yet so far.

The but­tons are supercute.

11. speedvegan says:

oh lucky you ! Port­land is like the Dis­ney World of veg­an­ism. if the weather wasn’t so great in FL, i’d move there in a heartbeat. :-)

12. jessy says:

a day in the life” rocks so hard! i love that song, “when i’m sixty four”, and “i’m only sleep­ing” — eas­ily three of my top 25 Bea­t­les songs (i have so many favorites — it’s so hard to pick just 25!)! hooray for The Beatles!!!

there’s so much awe­some­ness in this post i don’t even know where to begin.….

we live in rich­mond & there are two veggie/veggie places to eat around here, actu­ally — there’s one totally vegan chi­nese restau­rant, too. i’m happy to have three rock’n places that i can eas­ily order vegan yum­mies from, but i am soooooooooo super­jeal­ous­faced of all the awe­some­ness that port­land has to offer. my heart hurts a lit­tle when i think of all the yum­mi­ness i’m miss­ing out on. nom nom nom! i swear, dan & i will leave our dog with my par­ents one day for a week­end and fly out there just to feast on all the vegan glo­ri­ous­ness port­land has to offer. fo ‘sho!

free tat­too sat­ur­days sounds like pretty much the most bad ass thing ever! except for those rock’n but­tons — they’re pretty bad ass, too — and i’d love to rock a set of them!

i feel like i’ve got a sugar rush just from look­ing at all the yum­mies Black Sheep has to offer. vegan choco­lates to keep you on track with your res­o­lu­tion, too — hot damn! and all-vegan taque­ria!?! how do they say this, “be still my heart!” you tell those all-vegan taque­ria peeps that they rock because #1 — all vegan = the best & #2. they have paper plates instead of sty­ro­foam or plas­tic and that makes me heart go squeeeeeee! biodegrad­able = the best!

13. the rachface says:

oh how lucky you are! I miss port­land and its good­ies. Love the Bea­t­les, that is one of my favorite songs.

14. Lisa says:

How cute are those buttons??

So glad you’re back to blog­ging, by the way. I’m a long-time reader, not-so-regular commenter. :)

Those but­tons are so cute! And, man, am I jeal­ous of your vegan taco place–those look amaz­ing! And now I am crav­ing tacos…

16. All vegan Mex­i­can food! Wow. I’m not sure about in Port­land, but every­where else, vegan Mex­i­can is really hard to come by. It must be nice to waltz in with­out wor­ry­ing about lard! And some­thing I’ve won­dered about Port­land: Are there just a lot of veg­ans there who like to open up new restau­rants, or are the restau­rant own­ers mostly omnis who real­ize they can make more bucks by cater­ing exclu­sively to veg­ans? Either way, you guys are so lucky with all your vegan options!

Black Sheep’s choco­lates do look tempt­ing… My waist­line is prob­a­bly slightly glad that it doesn’t have those kind of treats so eas­ily accessible!

• krispycheks says:

I think it’s a fair mix­ture of veg­gie peo­ple who open restau­rants and then omni’s who are hip to it. Like with Gordi­tos, their reg­u­lar truck serves meat and cheese, but the fam­ily is veg­e­tar­ian and then the veg­ans started pour­ing in, so their vegan menu is far longer than their omni offerings.

17. Ximena says:

Meow meow meow…

18. Sandy says:

I can’t believe I still haven’t tried that taco truck! what is wrong with me? Thanks for the tips about the sei­tan of great­ness. Can’t wait to see you!

19. Anne says:

part of the rea­son i moved to port­land was because of the amaz­ing vegan options and what i thought would be an amaz­ing vegan com­mu­nity. i feel like i’m miss­ing out on it!
    i only per­son­ally know two veg­ans (plenty of veg­e­tar­i­ans though thankfully!)–but i know there are more out there! i read their blogs lol.
    i have good feel­ings there are more…psu has a vegan group. i get really shy, so it’s hard for me to meet new peo­ple >.<
    but it is amaz­ing how open omni’s are to vegetarian/vegan cuisine!